Are you getting your natural type 4 hair to "hang" when using Kinky Curling Custard ?

dlove

I purchased this and like how it magically makes my coils pop. However, I end up with a coily afro. I have below shoulder length hair when pressed.

If you have type 4 natural hair and can make your hair "hang" long when using Kinky Curling Custard, let me know your technique.

I followed a few on youtube- like shingling and applying section by section but all I end of having is a curly shrunken afro.

Post pics of how you apply and results if you have them.

Thank you kindly,
DLove

dlove

Re: Are you getting your natural type 4 hair to "hang" when using Kinky Curling Custa

I'm beginning to believe what someone on the boards stated earlier... that KCCC is only for people with ringlets or silky smooth loosely curled patterned hair if you are looking for hair to hang.

Oh well, another 40.OO down the drain!

nysister

Re: Are you getting your natural type 4 hair to "hang" when using Kinky Curling Custa

Is this Miss Jessie's? A friend of mine lent me some as she wanted me to try it. I made my hair tighter (didn't know it was possible) and a bit harder to get through. Not my thing personally. I'm 4A/B (with an "O" pattern) hope this helps :)

Fhrizzball

I know some people layer it with other products. maybe try that before declaring it a loss cause. I'm sure your afro is mighty pretty though. Mine always gets floppy unless I manipulate it more that I would like to.

classychic1908

I don't know if I'm type 4, probably more of a coarse 3C, but I use KCCC. First I apply my conditioner mix and leave it in (AO white camelia), plus glycerine and castor oil.

I shingle or rake the KCCC in and smooth it into my hair in small sections and when I'm done I put my hair in a ponytail on top of my head for a while. Then I take it down and shake the curls loose. Days later if the curls need a little freshening I will spray some aloe juice in and they are as good as new.

Good Luck!!

BeetleBug

My hangs w/ the product. I just rake it through sections of hair w/ my fingers. I don't have any pics but the pic in my siggy is a pic of a wash n go w/ conditioner left in. The KCCC stretches my coils out and shows a little bit of length. My hair looks similar to hers w/ the KCCC in it except hers is way longer. http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/monthly-progress/august--october/ She identifies as a 4a

honeybuni84

I am 4a.. and KCC never really helped me. I have found that if i want something that resembles "hang" i need some shea butter in it to really be heavy on my hair.. maybe mix it with a little extra conditioner and a heavier oil/ butter to get it to worl...

mscocoface

KCCC and Miss Jessies did nothing for me. Just like you dlove I ended up with not only a fro but a very wet shrunk fro.

I tried both of them twice and same results. They just never worked for me.

Last edited:

song_of_serenity

KCC worked well, but it took too long to dry. Dunno if I ever saw a dry result. lol. Anyway, I just BC like 4 months ago, so I don't really have much hair to hang...
I DO get some "hang" with the ecostyler I use.

When I get some length, I'll come back and let you know. :lachen: I really do think it depends on grow out/grow down and which your hair decides to do. Length also plays a role.

BUMP!

dlove

Thanks ladies. I'm going to try again this morning with a shea butter, aloe butter, and EVCO mix to get it to hang. Will post results later...

almond eyes

Back in the day, when I thought myfine 4a/4b sparse 3c hair would respond to these products, like Miss Jessie's all it did was make my hair draw up. My mother on the other hand who has a looser texture used Miss Jessie's and it gave her a beautiful wave and curl pattern. I stopped buying products to make my curls and waves pop because the front of my hair shrinks very quickly and only has a wave in two spots the rest spongy.

I think the whole thing depends on whether you have a spongy 4a/4a/3c texture if you do then more than likely when you brush your hair or use products like this it will do nothing spectacular and may shrink your hair more. There are some 4a/3c like my mother who does not have any sponge in her hair. I don't know if that makes sense. I think it explains why some women with 3c hair textures often say that they are 4a/4b, its more or less the sponge factor and not the coarse factor. With the sponge factor the curls even if you achieve them will be very tiny and fine. Spongey hair tends to be finer.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

Dak

I'm a 3C/4A, my curls never really "hung" until they reached below my collarbones (unshrunk). It just went from an afro into a giant wedge shape. It may be that you need more weight in your hair before it will hang better.

Edited to add: have you tried twist outs? I remember those working for me, to get my hair to lay more flat.

Last edited:

Neith

Back in the day, when I thought myfine 4a/4b sparse 3c hair would respond to these products, like Miss Jessie's all it did was make my hair draw up. My mother on the other hand who has a looser texture used Miss Jessie's and it gave her a beautiful wave and curl pattern. I stopped buying products to make my curls and waves pop because the front of my hair shrinks very quickly and only has a wave in two spots the rest spongy.

I think the whole thing depends on whether you have a spongy 4a/4a/3c texture if you do then more than likely when you brush your hair or use products like this it will do nothing spectacular and may shrink your hair more. There are some 4a/3c like my mother who does not have any sponge in her hair. I don't know if that makes sense. I think it explains why some women with 3c hair textures often say that they are 4a/4b, its more or less the sponge factor and not the coarse factor. With the sponge factor the curls even if you achieve them will be very tiny and fine. Spongey hair tends to be finer.

Best,
Almond Eyes

My hair is very spongy and does not respond well to most curl defining methods. You should have seen me with my gel, coconut oil and conditioner trying to shingle. :rofl:

but my hair is coarse too.

It all depends on your texture. My hair shrinks up to a quarter of it's true length when it's happy and moisturized. It absorbs product like a sponge.

I will probably have to wait a while until my hair gets more weight to it to get decent hangtime.

almond eyes

Hi Neith, I laughed (on the same page) you and I both with the shingling and coconut oil, AV gel and the other products I am ashamed to say how much stuff I paid for. And I only thank God that I did not spend money going to any natural hair salons to learn the truth about what my hair can and cannot do. But instead of throwing that stuff out I either give it away or I mix them all up together for a conditioning moisturiser.

I am telling you curl and wave definition depends on whether you have curly, wavy or spongy hair. I know plenty of 3c women who have spongy hair. My cousin who is half Sierra Leonean and Swiss has that type of 3c spongey hair no popping curls and no waves and she is definitely not a 4a/4b like me. And it can look coarse without any moisturing products. Pictures of me when I was younger when my mother would just grease my scalp and let me go to school with a very drawn afro without any moisture products and what looked like a coarse afro was very different in other pictures after she would apply the right products. But the popping curls never had them even with my textures that are not 4a. This spongy hair again tends to be very fine and dense.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

MissMeWithThatIsh

I do.. but as time goes on, (days) it will fro up.
I'm playing with it more... have u tried plopping it?

dlove

Ok, I retried the KCCC method with soaking wet hair and..... it worked! It's not exactly hanging, its more out and defined without looking like a curly afro. I'm going to try and up load pics later.

almond eyes

So in my mind natural afro textured hair falls into these categories:

curly, wavy, curly-wavy (combo), spongy, spongy-curly or spongy-wavy (combo meaning a few sparse curly and wavy pieces within the hair pattern but not significant enough to make a drastic difference but hair is either predominately either more spongy than curly or more curly than spongy), cotton, tightly coiled (wool). Curly, wavy and spongy hair types tend to have greater variations and combinations.

Spongy shrinks quickly very delicate (springy, wiry curls). Cotton texture can almost look like pressed hair when air dried in big plaits or twists can usually make huge puffy afros (air like). Tightly coiled (thick wool), also shrinks very quickly but has no springy or airy effect. If you have hair that is spongy, cotton or tightly coiled no products can make your hair look curly or wavy naturally hair must be manipulated by braiding or twisting to give it somewhat of an effect but it will never have the smooth waves or curliness especially in the front of the hair which is what some women crave (no matter how much brushing with AV Gel or Eco Styler).

Spongy-curly combo's (especially those with more predominately spongy than curly) can get a curly effect but they have to keep loading up the products for a number of days so that the products almost start to hang off the hair and give some elongation.

Easiest hair to grow: curly, wavy, and cotton.
Difficult hair to grow: Spongy is difficult because it tends to be fine and dense and needs to be combed and handled gently (because the wiry curls can rip off and get tangled quickly) and the tightly coiled due to not being able to hold moisture products well and tolerate lots of hair combing, can grow long though if locked and should be kept in protective styles or kept very short.

My theories only and not wanting to create another hair typing system. All of this is from my observations of black women's hair throughout the diaspora.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

firecracker

Once my hair is a certain length it hangs. Miss Jessies Meringue and baby butter creme works for my kinky curls and cottony combo hair.

Ok, I retried the KCCC method with soaking wet hair and..... it worked! It's not exactly hanging, its more out and defined without looking like a curly afro. I'm going to try and up load pics later.

U have those pics?

Beverly Ann Properties

My hair does not hang either. I tried the conditioner only method and the gel method. all I get is a curly fro fro. Maybe in another 2 years when I have some more length.

honesty

I would love to see pics too

mstar

Luxury bacon

My 4a hair hangs with KCCC and Knot Today. I apply a generous amount of each to soaking wet hair and air-dry loose. Next time, I'm going to try putting a plastic cap on after applying the KCCC...I saw someone on YT do that and her hair came out great.

The only pic I have is of the first time I used it, and I used WAY too much that time...there was white stuff all in my hair after it dried. :lol: I can upload it, if anyone wants to see.

Correction: my hair used to hang with KCCC, but that was before my 4-inch haircut. Length does make a big difference in the result you get from this product.

song_of_serenity

Correction: my hair used to hang with KCCC, but that was before my 4-inch haircut. Length does make a big difference in the result you get from this product.
Sure! :grin:
Do you have pictures of both lengths, short/long with the product? I no longer use KCCC, too expensive, takes too long to dry, and rely on ecostyler. But KCCC does give good results. :)

dlove

^^^ That is logical. Through some parts of my hair is long other parts are short. Like the crown and is 5 inches , sides 6 inches. The back is APL. I think I'm going to hold off on using this stuff until next year when my hair is longer.

Thanks ladies.

doriannc

I purchased this and like how it magically makes my coils pop. However, I end up with a coily afro. I have below shoulder length hair when pressed.

If you have type 4 natural hair and can make your hair "hang" long when using Kinky Curling Custard, let me know your technique.

I followed a few on youtube- like shingling and applying section by section but all I end of having is a curly shrunken afro.

Post pics of how you apply and results if you have them.

Thank you kindly,
DLove

what I do with mine is, I do my wash and go a few hours before I go to bed. I let it dry for a few hours or I use a handheld defuser to help with the process. Then when I get ready to go to bed, I put my hair up like I am about to put it in a ponytail, but I wrap a long scarf around it. when I wake up, my curls are preserved and a little elongated too. So no fro-iness. Oh and sometimes a put some nylons over my scarf to prevent it from moving.

Truth

Good post.. i've been eyeballing some kCCC but now not so sure I wanna purchase it. I'll prolly make this purchase when I have alittle mor hair to actually "hang" .... Guess it'll be me and my ecostyler till then..

SimplyBlessed

I wanna see some pics!! lol I've been thinking of getting this especially for my daughter's little curls!! :yep:

Also....I've heard that oil under or over the Custard is a nono :nono:...is that true??

I like to "seal in" my leave ins