Type 3 vs. Type 4 Hair: I need this answered!

MariposaSexyGirl

I have 3 c new growth and my strands are fine and soft but I have alot of single strand though.My hair has lots and lots of body. No coarseness in my head.

MariposaSexyGirl

I have 3 c curl size and my strands are fine and soft but I have alot of single strand though.My hair has lots and lots of body. No coarseness in my head.

silvergirl

i guess i need to eliminate coarseness from my vocabulary, cause i meant frizz. my strands are fine, silky, but with no product can have some frizz, with product, it is silky wavy/spirally.

come to think of it,, does anyone actually have "coarse" hair? even my father whoes 4a/b hair feels soft. does coarse hair feel coarse or just looks coarse..or is it hair that has sheen vs shine . i think ive just confused myself... ack.

Last edited:

Cichelle

^^^
My daughter has type 1A hair that is coarse. I once took a strand of her hair and looked at it under a magnifying glass. The strand was thick. When I put it between my fingers it feels strong, but not rough.

As for my own hair, I really have no idea anymore. I say 3b, because I don't know what else it could be. But my hair is a mix of waves and curls, the curls being mostly on the ends.

Always~Wear~Joy

Andres system isnt 100 % accurate, I truly belive theres a difference between the curl pattern (which should be in its own catagory) and the actual texture of the hair.

for instance i have 3b and 3c sized curls, but my texture has the same "courseness" of 3c in the front and 4a in the very back. :ohwell:

personally i think if theres going to be a completly new system the number should represent the size of the curl/coil and the a,b,c should represent the texture..

I think the system you made up is more accurate! Thanks again for doing that.

SouthernTease

I think hair typing is stupid!!!
You know if your hair is curly straight or kinky
if it is... you need moisture period end of discussion.
Just another way the industry tries to brainwash you
and pigeonhole you... don't beleive the hype!!!
There's no practical reason to try to fit yourself into
one of the hair types... it's WHACK!!!
That's just my 2 cent.

cocoberry10

I think hair typing is stupid!!!
You know if your hair is curly straight or kinky
if it is... you need moisture period end of discussion.
Just another way the industry tries to brainwash you
and pigeonhole you... don't beleive the hype!!!
There's no practical reason to try to fit yourself into
one of the hair types... it's WHACK!!!
That's just my 2 cent.

I agree with this. I think the problem is in caretaking for those with various hair types (like me:yep:) on one head, and how to make it look good/uniform!

Alpha Female

Coccoberry...thanks for the pics in one of your earlier responses to this thread...those sistas had some beautiful hair, and it reminded why I'm doing the transitioning thing!!!!!!!!!! :grin:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
i def see my hair in those type 3 pics, however as you can see, there are many type threes, and what products will work on type 3 silky, wont always work for type 3 frizzy hair......

so theres need for those texure subclasses.

A user on bhm broke type 3 hair down into subclasses. It's interesting, you may want to check it out if you haven't seen it already.
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=81738&KW=

She even explains highly textured and lowly textured hair.

la flaca

Here are some more photos! Since most of our members have 3 or 4 hair, I'll put most of the photos in those categories. I assume we all know what straight hair looks like:lol: so I'll bypass putting photos of those!

:yep:
Type 3--Curly Hair

She and her hair are beautiful