Are you natural and in your 20s...come on in

When I first told people that I was transitioning they told me that I was crazy...:nono:
Now all I get is love from everybody...:grin:

I actually think you can enjoy your natural hair more when you're young. I am so glad I didn't wait, because I can't see myself doing the big, wild hair when I'm 40.:lachen: At that age, I'll probably be rocking the TWA. Now is the time to grow it out, experiment, etc.

As for reactions, my mom made a few negative comments and my dh didn't like it, but for the most part, people were positive. Now that it's longer, everyone seems to like it just fine. :yep:

I'm 21 and 4b natural...I've never felt more beautiful or special. Everyone loves my hair...family, friends, strangers and all. Everyone I know wants to go natural (my mom, firends, cousins) but of course they are afraid.
Before I was just another girl in the crowd with the straight beyonce wannabe hair. I stand out everywhere and I love it. I feel different in a good way. I also like how exotic it makes me look...I am African.

I am very happy to be nappy. Can't wait to hit BSL this year!

My feelings exactly (except I'm knocking on 30:look:). My best friends love how versatile my hair is, and they compliment all my styles, but they both say they could never do it (one is 3b and the other is 4a). People are terrified of natural hair:lachen:. I'd like to say I don't get it, but I do, because I was the same way. It was a fear of the unknown.

My mom is 65 years old and still getting relaxers.:nono: She almost transitioned once, but ended up relaxing again. My older sister big chopped a few months ago after having seen my hair. Her dh, whose mom has always had a TWA, didn't like it.:rolleyes:

The other women ask me questions and say I am an inspiration and they really want to be natural too.

Some say, "oh girl I could NEVER go natural" and I say..."no one asked you to." :lachen:

OK?:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Where do you live?

I live in Atlanta and I see alot of young naturals....rocking it straight, rocking it in a curly hawk, rocking the puffy afro, rocking beanies, rocking twists, rocking twist outs....and they all look fierce because they own it.

I really believe natural hair belongs to anyone who choses to have it, because its natural you know? It comes from their scalp, its what they are born with.....so I really frown upon people who try to tell me its "unprofessional" you know how it is at the job or workplace....because its natural LOL its as natural as my skin tone and eye color.....but I guess it depends on where you live maybe?? :look:

ITA with this post. I wish I could thank you 1000 times.:yep:

My feelings exactly (except I'm knocking on 30:look:). My best friends love how versatile my hair is, and they compliment all my styles, but they both say they could never do it (one is 3b and the other is 4a). People are terrified of natural hair:lachen:. I'd like to say I don't get it, but I do, because I was the same way. It was a fear of the unknown.

My mom is 65 years old and still getting relaxers.:nono: She almost transitioned once, but ended up relaxing again. My older sister big chopped a few months ago after having seen my hair. Her dh, whose mom has always had a TWA, didn't like it.:rolleyes:

Exactly. My mom is a 3b and she relaxers 2x a year but is afraid to go natural. My friends tell me your hair is softer than mine. They just cannot accept that dc-ing, cowashing, and moisturizing will make anyone's hair soft. I do have a cousin though who is a member and combed out her locs after seeing my hair :lachen:

OT: you look so gorgeous in your siggy!

O yes. I'm the only natural haired female on my family on both sides of my family (and that says a lot considering I have 20 aunts and uncles and over 70 first cousins) that actually wear it in its natural state (many family members are natural, but they keep it straightened). In the beginning it was hard for me to hear some comments mainly because I wasn't expecting it. To me hair was just hair and it would grow back. However, to many people they do not think the same. I don't ever plan on cutting my hair that dramatic ever again (from a little past shoulder length to 1-2"), but I do appreciate the personal growth that I attained from having to learn to appreciate my hair. I feel it's somewhat of a rite of passage for a natural haired female. No offense to the the transitioners, but for some reason a big hair cut could be considered a dramatic experience in America and most of us grow from the experience. Anyways, don't pay attention to the comments...often they'll be the same one's gawking at your hair when they see how beautifully it's grown. For whatever reason people say that natural hair isn't beautiful when it's short, but when it gets long all of a sudden it's gorgeous lol...and I still believe a young natural haired female can find a husband too lol...I had natural hair before I met my husband of almost 2 years and I'm 23 years old (I was 20 when I met him)...he actually said it's one of the things that he liked about me (he liked how the natural hair looked and because it shows that I didn't have to be like everyone else with straight hair...it was different).

I am currently transtioning and I told this one girl I was going to go natural and she was like "why? what if it doesn't look good on you" How could my natural hair not look good on me? I told her if I don't like it I could always relax or straighten but I dont plan to. I am def on a natural hair care journey I love all the thing you can do to your hair and I don't got to worry about sweating nothing out, etc. Anyways I can't wait to be natural. I might cut my hair once I get this move over with or I might wait 6 months.

I'm 21 and I've had nothing but compliments on my natural hair. People love to rub their grubby paws in it and pull at my coils :nuts:. 2 of my friends are transitioning and several are already natural. So I guess that makes it easier :lol:.

It seems that the bigger/longer my hair gets, the more compliments I receive.

When I first chopped off my hair and had a TWA I got weird looks, shocked faces, with a compliment here and there. My parents didn't really care for it, but it grew on them. They like my hair now.

My SO has always liked my hair, though (or at least that's what he tells me :lachen:). But forreal, he always has his hands in it oooo-ing and ahhh-ing.

My Jamaican family aren't into foolishness like that. After I chopped my hair all off in 05 my aunts started transitioning and my gramma did an impromptu BC herself.
For my family it's about hair health and what you think looks beautiful on you.

Im 20 now and i transitioned when I was 15 1/2 and got that same "drama" from my family. Since i'm the one with the longest hair now, everyone is sweating me talking about "can i help them go natural?" lol. smh. I just give them the "oh yeah, I thought you said I looked like Celie from the color purle" look and they just keep looking and saying "help me out". I told them a website and NOW $6.50 would help them out. AND I gave them a list of great products and some techniques that would help them but the rest is up to them.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! LOL
Girly let me tell you. When I first BC'd I didn’t tell a soul I was doing it –not my parents, my sister, my girlfriends…let alone my boyfriend at the time who is now fiancé. I know myself and if I plan on doing something and verbalize my plans usually they tend to fall through but since I had a sense of seriousness come about me, one day four years ago I just said “to hell with it”…lol! But anyway the feedback I received was mixed and most of it was very disheartening. My fiancé had a fit! Oh, let me add my hair as permed and was past APL but not quit BSL so from one day to see me with long silky hair to less hair than he had (he has locks) was something that he joked about so much with me and couldn’t really grasp. My co-workers at the time HATED IT and voiced it regardless of how insecure their comments made me feel, they would say “you looked more attractive with your long hair” or “what made you do that”…comments that really made me want to go and hide, especially since I was already second guessing my decision. My mother and sister LOVED it, which gave me the confidence to rock my shaved head proudly!
As time progressed and my natural tresses started to bloom….oh how those folks see me now in amazement and admire my move. So I say to you, family, friends, or even you might not like your decision to go natural…but be patient and time will reveal your reward once your lovely locks are flowing healthy and thick and allowing you to it wear how you please; whether naturally curly or pressed out showing your stuff!
Love yourself and others will follow…
Trust!
P.S. My soon to be husband tells me all the time going natural has beautify me even more and he prefers my hair wet and go opposed to pressed out…gotta love em’

Attachments

• 168656051973_0_1.jpg
    168656051973_0_1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Definitely received similar feedback from my father. My hair was just passed my shoulders approaching arm pit length and I chopped it off into a bob to help my transition. He can't stand it and thinks that I never should have cut it off as if long hair equals beauty. I know we are all trying to grow our hair long, but it is being natural that I want the most. so long hair does not equal beauty by any means, who we are does. Pay no attention to this. Once she see's you along with my crazy father after my full transition, I bet neither of them will have any thing to say but "Oh how beautiful..."

I got a lot of grief in the beginning from my elders; my family didn't understand my decision at all. More recently my relatives have come to accept my fro or at least they've stalled all the snide remarks despite their opinions.

On the flipside I receive more positive attention from guys I'm interested in sans the relaxer, more in relation to greater confidence than my hair I'm sure though.

My philosophy is do what makes you happy whenever possible because at the end of the day you have to deal with the aftermath of your decisions.

Back