At home dominican blow-out (pics)

amy1234

I'm still learning to master the domincan blow out at home because the only dominican salon in my area is on the west side (a 45min drive) and plus I'd like to save on some cash. So far I am getting better at them if you compare the newer pics to the older ones. One thing that I have changed in my routine that made the biggest difference was using the round boars bristle brush-the kind that webby recommends (thanks!) . After I remove my rollers I take this brush http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/assets/product_images/333835.jpg because my hair is very thick to begin with -it is the only kind that can smoothen the hair out ..after I follow up with the round boars brush for even smoother hair http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/assets/product_images/333108.jpg. The final step is to go over each section with my chi and then wrap my hair. I know it seems like a lot of work but it only takes 1hr to complete once I remove the rollers. Here are some pics of my latest results -click on the january 2005 folder.
pwrd: LHCFforum

Last edited:
Your blowout looks very nice :) What'd you do step by step? I always have problems using the brush and holding the blow dryer at the same time. What products did you use? I did you use a curling iron to slightly curl the ends under? I did you flat iron after blowing your hair out? Sooo many questions :lol:

Thanks so much : webby , phoneybalony500, ms_kenesha, Tonya, andreamaria, buffalosoldier, CaramelHonee, AudraChanell, & KAddy !!

PhonyBaloney500 said:
Wow very nice job!

What did you use as a heat protectant? Do you blow out all of it or just the roots? :)

I use rusk str8t anit-frizz lotion as a leave-in when my hair is damp and right before I rollerset it. It also has a heat protectant in it.
I also did blowdry the length of my hair and I am noticing that it is a bit frizzy 3/4 down, I think this is because I recently switched to affirm regular and my hair is taking well to it because it looks much more healthier at the roots compared to the rest of the hair.

andreamaria said:
Your blowout looks very nice :) What'd you do step by step? I always have problems using the brush and holding the blow dryer at the same time. What products did you use? I did you use a curling iron to slightly curl the ends under? I did you flat iron after blowing your hair out? Sooo many questions :lol:

I basically washed and conditioned over-night with misskeys & nacidit avocado conditioner under a plastic cap. The next day I rinsed out the conditioners, applied the rusk leave-in and then rollerset and let it dry under the soft bonnet for 1hr. After my hair was dry , I removed the rollers and used my ceramic round brush while blowdrying, I made sure to detangle the section before blow-drying it . Right after I finished blowdrying that section, I used the boars round brush and went over it 2 times to get the desired smoothness. I repeated these two steps for all of the sections from rollersetting. After I finished that, I took a breather, then started to flat iron each section with my chi. This is an extra step that isn't really necessary but because my hair is texturized, it is mandatory. The final step was to mist oil shen on the hair and wrap it up under a satin scarf !! HTH

curlybun said:
Thanks so much : webby , phoneybalony500, ms_kenesha, Tonya, andreamaria, buffalosoldier, CaramelHonee, AudraChanell, & KAddy !!

I use rusk str8t anit-frizz lotion as a leave-in when my hair is damp and right before I rollerset it. It also has a heat protectant in it.
I also did blowdry the length of my hair and I am noticing that it is a bit frizzy 3/4 down, I think this is because I recently switched to affirm regular and my hair is taking well to it because it looks much more healthier at the roots compared to the rest of the hair.

I basically washed and conditioned over-night with misskeys & nacidit avocado conditioner under a plastic cap. The next day I rinsed out the conditioners, applied the rusk leave-in and then rollerset and let it dry under the soft bonnet for 1hr. After my hair was dry , I removed the rollers and used my ceramic round brush while blowdrying, I made sure to detangle the section before blow-drying it . Right after I finished blowdrying that section, I used the boars round brush and went over it 2 times to get the desired smoothness. I repeated these two steps for all of the sections from rollersetting. After I finished that, I took a breather, then started to flat iron each section with my chi. This is an extra step that isn't really necessary but because my hair is texturized, it is mandatory. The final step was to mist oil shen on the hair and wrap it up under a satin scarf !! HTH

Thanks for posting your steps curlybun!

Thanks Alli77 ,Poohbear ,skegeesmb ,CandiceC & lovelymissyoli !!
I hope that I reach my goal by mid-march and so I will be updating around that time again.;)

Thankyou Allandra, ms_jennifer, Lorraine, Dana03, chocolate01, missbobbie!
Dana03 said:
Your hair looks GREAT :cool: Quick question.. What happened to the highlights :lol: did you cut them out??

I didn't cut them out :eek: instead I just dyed it dark brown (clairol-natural insincts) because the color was growing out and plus I needed a change.

Your hair looks great. How do you direct the heat? When I tried a blow-out, the hair was blowing to the side because of the dryer. Is it just me with a lack of skill or is there a technique to directing the air?

carolina_belle said:
Your hair looks great. How do you direct the heat? When I tried a blow-out, the hair was blowing to the side because of the dryer. Is it just me with a lack of skill or is there a technique to directing the air?
Thanks... try using a concentrator nozzle, it will direct the flow of air to where you want it.

Back