ATTN MOTHERS: Quest about Postpartum shedding

webby

Think Slim
Ladies, I'm just about 2 weeks postpartum and I was wondering how soon the hair shedding would start. Is shedding a given? I mean, does everyone shed after the baby is born?

TIA

jainygirl

my hair started shedding right around the time i went for my 6 week checkup
so it was about 6 weeks after i had him. -- jainygirl

webby

Think Slim
Thanks jainy...I guesss, I better not get attached to the "extra stuff" huh?

Ah well, my hair is so dense anyway. I probably won't even notice the difference.

jainygirl

yeah, i'm sure your hair will look great. i have thick hair also (my mom was like "girl, you dont have to EVER worry about going bald"
) so i'm sure you will have the same great look
-- jainygirl

Cat_Eyed_Cutie

[ QUOTE ]
webby said:
Ladies, I'm just about 2 weeks postpartum and I was wondering how soon the hair shedding would start. Is shedding a given? I mean, does everyone shed after the baby is born?
TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

My daughter is 12 1/2 months and I have yet to shed. When I asked my Dr and stylist what I could expect they told me that shedding could set in 1-2 years after weaning my daughter, depending on how quickly your hormones return to normal pre-pregnancy levels. I hate to be the one to tell you but your not out of the woods yet... most of my friends shed around the 3-6 month mark. Shedding isn't a given but it happens more often than not.

joyous

Webby, I only had shedding with my last pregnancy. It started around 3-4 months postpartum and lasted for 6 months. You may not shed at all, I didn't with my previous pregnancies. By the way, that's one adorable baby. Congratulations to you and hubby.

Divastate

Initiallly I lost part of my front hairline (I have pics in my hair album in the 2nd year folder) but it grew right back in- that's a genetic thing I believe because my sister had the same thing happen. I didn't get the serious shedding until he weaned which was just a couple of months ago(he's 21 months now). I think I'd still be shedding if I didn't try Surge it halted the shedding in its tracks-I can't say it increased my growth rate but ending the extreme shedding definitely made it worth it.

Your son is gorgeous! Congrats!

Miosy

My shedding started at 3 months and so did my sister and girlfriend. Congrats on the new baby

Chichi

Congrats on your new baby webby!!! My shedding started at ten weeks post-partum. What helped me was eatings lots of protein-rich food and using a liquid protein treatment. The one that I used I purchased from my Dominican stylist but I am thinking that Joico K-Pak would do just as well.

Chichi

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Congrats onthe new baby. I never experienced shedding with my son. All the wonderful, thick hair I gained with my son I kept.

With my daughter my hair went through major transformations. During the pregnanacy my hair was extrememly resistant to relaxers so I wore braids the entire last trimester. I started shedding before my 6 week check up but my hair also grew back very fast.

Honi

There is no board.
It was 3 months for me. Chile there was hair everywhere! On the stairs, in the kitchen, on the dog!
I lost my hairline at the temple but that was restored with Surge...yipppee!

webby

Think Slim
Thank you all for your responses and well wishes.

I'm just going to continue to be gentle with my hair and I'll buy some Joico K-Pak.

Hugs to you all

Valerie

When my daugther was five months, then I noticed how limp, my hair had become, I resorted to castor oil and Pil Food, and about a few months later, my hair was back to normal.

NYCchild

Congrats on the babie webby

It depends on what phase your hair is in - i fergit how it works but if its in the shedding phase ur gona shed (not quite sure of the term).
so u wanna stock up on the nutrine garlic shampoo and up ure protein intake. Foti is also very effective, but if ure breastfeeding u mite not wanna take it - check with your doc.

good luck

longlocks

Congrats on your new bundle of joy!!! I experienced shedding at about 4 months post partum. It was alot and my hair line receded about 2 inches but with vitamins and a healthy diet, and a few protein treament, I saw a huge improvement within 3 months and I was still nursing. If it does happen (hopefully it won't) just know that it's temporary. Enjoy your new baby!