Aubrey Organics- Not natural or Organic.

chellero

Wife Supremacist
I bought a bottle of GPB conditioner because I wanted to try something more natural on my hair. It has a strong perfume smell, that is not accounted for by any of the ingredients listed in on the bottle.

Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Organic Aloe Vera, Wheat Germ Oil, Lactalbumin, Organic Rosemary Oil, Organic Sage Oil, Horsetail Extract, Coltsfoot Extract, Nettle Extract, Amino Acid Complex (Cysteine, Methionine), Glycoprotein (from oyster shells), Balsam Oil, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E).

If you've smelled this conditioner then you know what I am talking about. I thought that it could be the scent of the Basalm oil, but basalm doesn't smell like that. Obviously they have used fragrance and not listed it on their ingredient list. I know that many natural "organic" shampoos and conditioners are mostly hype, because by the time you process those natural ingredients so that they can be used as a shampoo or conditioner they aren't really any more natural or organic than the synthetic stuff, but if it works for my hair I don't really care. I am concerned that AO is marketing products that are "natural and organic" and then leaving ingredients off the list. I like to know exactly what I am putting in my hair. And what makes this situation especially laughable is the mission statement listed on aubreyorganics.com.

"Our mission is to provide all-natural, safe and effective personal care and lifestyle products to the consumer. We offer a true and authentic alternative to many of the mass produced synthetic products on the market today. We craft only the highest quality all-natural products without compromise as to ingredients, packaging or cost.

We believe in education and transparency. A customer is best able to make an educated and correct purchasing decision only when armed with true and valued information. :rolleyes:Part of our core purpose is to provide that information as best as we can."

Last edited:

BKVincy

I will and will always say
unless you whipping it up in the kitchen yourself
there is no way anyone is gonna convince me that there product is 100 percent natural excpecially when commercially produced

naijamerican

Chellero, I recall reading a thread that said precisely the same thing about AO. In particular, someone stated that those sold in the US left off ingredients but that those sold in the UK had all of them. I think the thread popped up sometime this summer or fall. I don't have the time to hunt for it but you're right and hopefully someone can find it. :yep:

AsTheCurlzTurns

I will and will always say
unless you whipping it up in the kitchen yourself
there is no way anyone is gonna convince me that there product is 100 percent natural excpecially when commercially produced

ITA with this comment!!
Chellero, I recall reading a thread that said precisely the same thing about AO. In particular, someone stated that those sold in the US left off ingredients but that those sold in the UK had all of them. I think the thread popped up sometime this summer or fall. I don't have the time to hunt for it but you're right and hopefully someone can find it. :yep:

I remember reading that thread also, and I'm thinking the one you're referring to is this link below: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=258999

Stella B.

I am just being silly with this one, but after looking at that awesome healthy ingredient list from the GPB label, I don't mind a little fragrance being added-maybe its to cover up the stench from the oyster shells??!!:grin: I know what you mean tho, by not knowing if certain ingredients have been added that are not on the label, it does cause concern. Why not contact the company thru an e-mail to ask them your question?

LynnieB

Just wanted to say that I have both Rosemary and Clary Sage Essential Oils and I recognize their scent in the GPB. The Jojoba and Aloe AO also has a similar scent and it also contains Rosemary and Sage EO's.

Both of these oils are extremely pungent (stinky) and it only takes a tiny bit added into something to give it that aroma.

Not sure about horsetail/nettle or whatever else is in there but I suspect if you mix all of these scents together, it will definitely be on the stinky side.

AO's Island Naturals contains Oil of Clove - this is what gives that conditioner its scent (some likey, some can't tolerate the scent of cloves).

HTH - and I'm in no way defending AO's natural claim. I love their conditioners but the scent of Island Naturals drives me nuts and the conditioners work sooooooooo well for me.

Amethyst85

Just wanted to say that I have both Rosemary and Clary Sage Essential Oils and I recognize their scent in the GPB. The Jojoba and Aloe AO also has a similar scent and it also contains Rosemary and Sage EO's.

Both of these oils are extremely pungent (stinky) and it only takes a tiny bit added into something to give it that aroma.

Not sure about horsetail/nettle or whatever else is in there but I suspect if you mix all of these scents together, it will definitely be on the stinky side.

AO's Island Naturals contains Oil of Clove - this is what gives that conditioner its scent (some likey, some can't tolerate the scent of cloves).

HTH - and I'm in no way defending AO's natural claim. I love their conditioners but the scent of Island Naturals drives me nuts and the conditioners work sooooooooo well for me.

ITA i think the scent is from the rosemary and sage oils. Thats what my GBP smells like too

naijamerican

This is good to know; thanks! :yep:
*Following this thread because I'm considering purchasing AO soon!*

chellero

Wife Supremacist
An excerpt from Paula Begoun's Don't Go Shopping For Haircare Products Without Me regarding the the founder Aubrey Hampton's Aubrey Organics line:

"The ingriedient lists and the company's nocompliance with regulations regarding claims made for over-the-counter products (including those for haircare) have led the FDA to issue warnings to Aubrey Hamilton. Clearly, Hampton did little to heed the warnings, particularly in regard to full disclosure of product ingriedients. For example, his Jojoba & Aloe Hair Rejeuvonator & Conditioner lists its ingriedients as organic jojoba oil, organic aloe vera, and " a natural coconut fatty acid base." Not only is the last part of the ingriedient statement non compliant with the FDA and Cosmetics, Toiletries & Fragrance Association labeling regualtions, but this product also has a potent floral musky fragrance that does not match how any of these ingriedients should smell. In other words, something's missing here, and for all Hampton's "natural=safe" for consumers posturing, this is an inexcusable omission that keeps consumers in the dark about what is really in these products. The icing on the dishonest cake is reading on Hampton's Web site that the company prides itself (and has for years) on "Full Label Disclosure."

ETA: Please excuse typos, I typed this out.

I snatched this post from the other thread. I'm glad to know that I am not the only one who noticed the fragrance issue in one of their products. I don't think that hair products need to be all natural, but I do like to know what I'm putting on my head. And if I am paying for natural and organic then I want to product to be natural and organic instead of whatever is going on at AO. It's sad that the product labeling isn't even good enough for the FDA considering how lax their standards are. Apparently AO has been sited for bad labeling before. :sad:

chellero

Wife Supremacist

I have rosemary oil and I know what sage smells like. It really doesn't account for the smell of that conditioner IMO. I don't even think that it stinks it just smells very perfumey and artificial. I am sniffing it now. :lachen:I think that I'll put in on my head anyway, and just send AO an angry letter about their lying labels. My hair loves this stuff, whatever it is.