Ayurveda - Mustard Oil

Zeal

Who uses mustard oil, and how do you use it? Please post Your experience.

TIA

vestaluv1

I haven't used mustard oil myself but apparantly you can use it in a number of ways
for healthy hair growth/dandruff/hair loss.

Here are some recipes.
Home remedies for Hair Loss using Mustard Oil and Henna Leaves

Mustard oil, boiled with henna leaves, is useful for healthy growth of hair. About 250 ml of mustard oil should be boiled in a tin basin. About sixty grams of henna leaves should be gradually put in this oil till they are burnt in the oil. The oil should then be filtered using a cloth and stored. Regular massage of the head with the oil will produce abundant hair.

Home Remedies for Dandruff and Itchiness
  • Add 1 teaspoon of camphor to half a cup of coconut or neem oil. Store it in glass container. Dosage: Massage this oil into the scalp before bed.
  • Mix 1 teaspoon of castor, mustard and coconut oil each and massage into the scalp.
  • Mix one part of lemon juice with two parts of coconut oil. Massage into the roots of the hair regularly.
Home Remedies for Conditioning and Achieving Softer hair

• Massage the root of the hair with a mixture of the yellow part of one egg, 2 tbsp lemon juice and 1 tbsp mustard or olive oil. Wash off after one hour. This will make the hair soft and lustrous.
  • Mix 1 ½ tsp mustard oil, 1 ½ cup tea extract, 1 egg yellow and juice of lemon in henna (mehendi) powder. Wash off after one hour.
  • Apply luke warm mustard oil to the hair and scalp the night before you wash it.

Tamrin

unapologetic
I use it as a pre-poo a day before wash day. I love to massage my scalp with it. Great before using Ayuverda powders.

adw425

It is in my scalp concoction. I think the present incarnation -- of many incarnations over the last three years -- is aloe vera gel, avocado, castor and mustard oils, cayenne extract, horsetail extract, kelp extract, sulphur and yucca. When it starts getting low and I add more oils to it and aloe vera, sometimes I forget to add more mustard oil. When I remember a few days later and add it, the warmth, stimulation, tingling factor increases 10-fold.