Mustard Oil Anyone?

MoMo

Does anyone use Mustard Oil? I use it occasionally but I was wondering if anyone has used it or continues to use it with any success.

vickid

I just started adding Mustard Oil to my mixture of Indian Oils. They guy at the Indian stores swears that Mustard oil will aid hair growth and works as a detangler. I will say that it has helped greatly with detangling.

MoMo

Heard that too...apparently it is full of sulphur. I didn't know that it was good with detangling. Thanks for the information.

Mestiza

I forgot that I have a big bottle of Mustard Oil. I'm gonna have to get used to the scent, which, reminds me of mustard and kerosene. :look:

I heard somewhere that it tingles the scalp. Have you all experienced that?

MoMo

Mestiza said:
I forgot that I have a big bottle of Mustard Oil. I'm gonna have to get used to the scent, which, reminds me of mustard and kerosene. :look:

I heard somewhere that it tingles the scalp. Have you all experienced that?

Never experienced any tingling...but it smells horrible tho!

Mestiza

MoMo said:
Never experienced any tingling...but it smells horrible tho!

Yes, it does! I just took another whiff of it and it almost took my breath away.
I need to add a lot of EO to that.

MrsBKJ

I love this stuff and my family have used it for years...i use it sometimes when i can stand the smell...
it increases circulation to where its applied so you know thats great!
its a staple in India and Pakistan!

dlewis

And I was just at the Indian store and I saw this oil.:sad: I did pick up almond oil though. I'm appling that to my scalp every night.

amina kamal

I have this oil and mix it with coconut oil as a pre-poo and scalp stimulating hot oil treatment. The mustard oil does have a strong scent that tends to linger and it does tingle/stimulate the scalp especially with heat.

Mestiza

I did an oil rinse w/ Mustard Oil after I had deep conditioned w/ heat. Goodness, gracious! I had a relaxer type of tingling on my scalp.
I couldn't wait to rinse it out of my hair. My hair did look and feel good and was very shiny.

Kurlee

Does ur hair feel softer or stronger after use? And just how bad is the smell? LOL! That head on fire is funny:lachen:

dlewis

I did an oil rinse w/ Mustard Oil after I had deep conditioned w/ heat. Goodness, gracious! I had a relaxer type of tingling on my scalp.
I couldn't wait to rinse it out of my hair. My hair did look and feel good and was very shiny.

:lachen::lachen::lachen: I'm def going to pick some up next time. What kind did you buy, just the reg cook oil kind?

Mestiza

Does ur hair feel softer or stronger after use? And just how bad is the smell? LOL! That head on fire is funny:lachen:

IDK about stronger, but it did feel softer. The smell is awful, but not as bad as Neem Oil. It smells like mustard mixed w/ kerosene, to me.

Mestiza

:lachen::lachen::lachen: I'm def going to pick some up next time. What kind did you buy, just the reg cook oil kind?

No, please, do NOT COOK w/ it! :nono:
I was told that it can make you ill if you do that or ingest it. :eek: My bottle says For Massage / External Use.

Mestiza

:lachen::lachen::lachen: I saw some that the indian groc store but it was cooking mustard oil.

Okay! :lol: There must be two different types. Mine was in the cooking section, but the owner of the store told me not to cook w/ it. Then, I read the label.

ETA:

Come to think of it, all of their oils, minus hair oils like Amla, Vatika and Jasmine, are in the cooking section.

Last edited:

dlewis

Okay! :lol: There must be two different types. Mine was in the cooking section, but the owner of the store told me not to cook w/ it. Then, I read the label.

ETA:

Come to think of it, all of their oils, minus hair oils like Amla, Vatika and Jasmine, are in the cooking section.

Yep, youare right. hehe.

Mestiza

Yes, that stuff will kill you!

:thankyou: for the warning!

Oh, dear!
I guess that's why that lady had a very serious look on her face when she told me not to cook w/ it nor ingest it.

I'm gonna have to put this up far away from anyone other than myself. I hope that you all will do the same.

Last edited:

Candygirl

Candygirl
My daughter and I use it. There was an Indian lady that use to be a member on an old haircare forum. She used it for when her hair was shedding along with henna. It seems to strengthen the hair tremendously as well as curb shedding.

BrooklynSouth

so if u can 't cook with it, using it on ur hair with heat, is that safe?

Kurlee, I have concerns about this too as the heat will surely cause it to penetrate the scalp pores..but me being me..I'm doing a heat cap pre-poo with it right now..in a few minutes I'll shikaki shampoo then do a deep condition with Capilo Milk/honey to see the results.

DivaRox

I saw a reference to using mustard oil over on another hair forum-and the rave was that it produces luxuriously long, thick and black hair. -I don't know what's wrong with me because I haven't had even the slightest pj urge to experiment with this one.

Moroni

You guys are a RIOT!!!:lachen::lachen::lachen: Well, MY PJism rabbit ears just jumped up on this one! I hope I can sleep tonight, 'cause I'm gonna get this stuff as soon as whole foods opens up tomorrow!

BTW, I don't think it's dangerous to use as a scalp oil with heat. Take a look at this from Science Links Japan:

Abstract: It is desired to expand the use of mustard oil as a vegetable oil in Japan. In this research, the chemical composition of mustard oil, which is commonly consumed as a food oil in Nepal, and its raw material, mustard seed, were analyzed to obtain nutritional and physiological knowledge on mustard oil. The mustard oil and seed tested were those produced in Nepal. The general compositions, mineral compositions, amino acid compositions, and fatty acid compositions were analyzed. In addition, .BETA.-carotene, tocopherol, and polyphenol were analyzed and the antioxidant activities of the mustard oil and seed were measured. The results showed that the mustard seed contained 37.1% of lipids and the amino acid composition of seed protein included lysine, an essential amino acid that tends to be low in grains. In addition, the mineral compositon showed that phophorus, potassium, and sulfur were the main minerals. The fatty acid composition showed that erucic acid was the main component of the mustard oil at about 47% and each of linoleic acid and linolenic acid was in the range of 11-13%. Furthermore, it was found that the mustard oil contained .BETA.-carotene, tocopherol, and polyphenol and its antioxidant activity was not much different from those of sesame oil and soybean oil. The results showed that mustard oil had adequate nutritional values as a food oil and possibility for expanded use in the future. However, because erucic acid was the major fatty acid component, further detailed investigations concerning its effect on the heart are called for, including the problem of its intake amount.

PassionFruit

Im thinking I should be worried that this stuff doesnt tingle while on my scalp.. I havent tried adding heat, I cant find my heating cap....