Bad Bad Split Endz!!!!

jamaicalovely

Okay, I found some bad split ends the other day on my leave out hair. I am very concerned because when I combed my hair a few strands came out with splits in the middle of the strand. I've never seen this before.:wallbash:

He's some info about my hair and regimen:

- Currently using weaves for growth since Sep 07
- Currently in sew in with horsehoe leave out
- No relaxer since May08
- Last trim Feb 09
- Using MT daily since July08 and using daily MT/OCT since Sep 08
- Wash 1x per week, Co wash 1x per week
- Deep condition with every wash
- Moisturize 2x per week
- Steam treatments when take down weave
- Take mutiple vitamins and supplementss

Any suggestions? I did read old threads and the advice was more pertaining to those with splits at the ends. I did read about using Apoghee.

I'm scared that this may be occurring all around. I don't want to have to cut hair up to EL or NL again. I would just die! I've come a long way!!!!

I think next time I will cut bangs up to bottom of eyelid (currently chin length) then use closures again.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm venting.:sad:

Hrm, I don't know. I get these occasionally - I usually assume that it's caused by some form of mechanical stress (bobby pin, rough handling with a comb, ponytail holder, wig clip, etc, etc) and let it go....
I definitely wouldn't EVEN consider cutting to try to get them all - :nono: - that's crazy talk, right there. :lachen:

Keep an eye on how you are handling your hair - you might be using something that's causing repeated stress and thus splits....

stop leaving your hair out at the top if that is where you are seeing them. i know it get rough sometimes trying to blend the weave with the hair.

okay, i guess I'm freakin out. My hair has been so healthy thus far and I was afraid I had to start over.

You're right, shortdub. I am searching for closures for my next install right now. This is the first time I've left out my hair in over a year.

I'm so sorry to hear this. But you never mentioned how you're styling your leave-out hair.

Are you using lots of heat (i.e. flat-ironing, blow drying, etc) in order to blend this hair with the weave since you said you haven't had a relaxer in almost a year?

:)

^Yes, forgot to mention...

I flat iron only on wash days and use flexirods to blend. I saturate my hair with heat protectant and CHI silk fusion.

okay, i guess I'm freakin out. My hair has been so healthy thus far and I was afraid I had to start over.

You're right, shortdub. I am searching for closures for my next install right now. This is the first time I've left out my hair in over a year.
If your using regular BSS straight hair then you can find them anywhere for about $17-20. They even have them in Remy hair too. Thats all I use for my sew-ins(crown pieces), plus you can use them more than once.
Now if your using a wave hair or something I have never seen crown pieces for that. I have pics in my fotki of a crown piece if your not sure of how it will look. HTH....

^Yes, forgot to mention...

I flat iron only on wash days and use flexirods to blend. I saturate my hair with heat protectant and CHI silk fusion.

Alrighty then, you know your culprit. So all you have to do is weave up all of your hair from here on out to prevent further breakage and trim out all of the split ends. And I can't wait to see how your hair rebounds in a couple of months. :)

But don't y'all think that as good as she is taking care of her hair, she shouldn't be getting splits that easy. :perplexed. I dunno why you have splits, but I hope it gets better soon, and I hope that you don't have to cover your hair for the rest of your life just to prevent them. You get what i mean? Let us know when you find out more information on why your hair got the split ends to begin with, other than the fact that you left it out.

Try co-washing all the time instead of washing with shampoo. Something is stressing and perhaps drying out your hair. Moisture and elasticity is not being retained. How's the weather where you are? Is it dry? Do you have a humidifier in your home?

Stretch your shampoos is what I'm saying. Not the actual water hitting your hair, just the shampooing itself.

What heat protector are you using?
And how are you drying your hair when you shampoo and co-wash?

Thanks, girls. Actually, I went to the stylist for my weave maintenance and we just cut off those nasty ends. It looked very bad to her too. I think those ends were damaged beyond repair. But, I will do your tips to prevent further damage and go back to using closures.

Thanks, girls. Actually, I went to the stylist for my weave maintenance and we just cut off those nasty ends. It looked very bad to her too. I think those ends were damaged beyond repair. But, I will do your tips to prevent further damage and go back to using closures.

Hi Jamaicalovely,
I found a strand of hair which was broken mid-length and I panicked! Was it one or one of several? I don't use heat and I use natural oils or organic ingredients. I did some research on the internet and I found that the type of combs that I have been using, seamed, cause breakage along the length of each strand because the teeth snag your hair. I checked my combs and I could see the seams! I researched wooden and bone or bohn combs (http://ww9.aitsafe.com/cf/add.cfm) and it makes sense to invest in these combs even if they are pricey or alternatively file down the seams. I have today ordered both a wooden and bone comb to see if they make a difference.

MeechUK

Meech, I totally forgot about the comb. Yes, there were several strands. I could not access the link.

Hi Jamaiclovely,
the links are for Ebay and Hairsense;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Super-Detangli...em260330217389

http://hairsense.com/bonecombs.htm

I came to the conclusion that if I am doing everything else right the tools are a factor in causing split ends! The seams in some combs are rough and snag and rip your hair out. You could try filing them down with sandpaper or invest in a quality bone comb that can last a lifetime.

PS: You have made great progress in your hair journey and your hair looks awesome. I think you are my hair twin.

MeechUK

Last edited:
Hi Jamaiclovely,
the links are for Ebay and Hairsense;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Super-Detangli...em260330217389

http://hairsense.com/bonecombs.htm

I came to the conclusion that if I am doing everything else right the tools are a factor in causing split ends! The seams in some combs are rough and snag and rip your hair out. You could try filing them down with sandpaper or invest in a quality bone comb that can last a lifetime.

PS: You have made great progress in your hair journey and your hair looks awesome. I think you are my hair twin.

MeechUK

Thanks! I will definitely look into these combs. I think they'll definitely come in handy. Looks like they will be good for detangling.

Back