Please help, I can't figure out what's wrong!

spellinto

Ladies, I really need your help this stretch. I have an ongoing struggle against split ends :sad:. I feel that I have tried almost all conventional ways of protecting your ends: I bun almost every single day of my life :ohwell:; I have used all kinds of oils, from coconut to castor and everything in between; I have baggied (which just gave me wet ends that dried up quickly:perplexed), used a steamer, used vaseline and other heavy sealants, used different types of both moisturizing and protein leave ins...everything! I also have a pretty strong regimen where I only detangle 1x a week with a SEAMLESS comb, DC 1x a week (with a light protein), cowash 1x a week, clarify monthly, use a sulfate free shampoo 1x a week (and I dry w/a microfiber turban, never rubbing hair with a towel), and moisturize every day or every other day. I have high porosity hair, and I have a moisturizer that's specifically designed to address that--it makes my hair feel AMAZING, but still my ends are resistant.

I am thinking of starting a low manipulation regimen...maybe my buns are causing the splits instead of protecting the ends...but if anyone has any other ideas, please share! I recently had to cut a lot of hair off and I am determined to figure out why my hair splits so much before the splits wreck havoc again!

Last edited:

Lilmama1011

I was just about to say some ladies say that buns chew their hair up after a while. Can you do curls? It's less manipulation so you won't have to comb for a while and you can moisturize and seal like normal and when it gets old pin it up

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Hmmmm probably your constant bunning. Not everybody ends can take that. I know mine cannot. I can bun for a few days but that's about it. Trim your splits to start fresh and then refrain from bunning for 4 months. Then see if you retained your two inches of growth without split ends.

spellinto

I was just about to say some ladies say that buns chew their hair up after a while. Can you do curls? It's less manipulation so you won't have to comb for a while and you can moisturize and seal like normal and when it gets old pin it up

Hmmmm probably your constant bunning. Not everybody ends can take that. I know mine cannot. I can bun for a few days but that's about it. Trim your splits to start fresh and then refrain from bunning for 4 months. Then see if you retained your two inches of growth without split ends.

Thank you ladies! I will curl and do braidouts for the next 4 months and see how things go. I'm just concerned about the winter weather, but maybe if I just "pin up" the curls (as opposed to bunning them) my ends will survive? I'll also check out some of the low mani regimens on here. I appreciate your answers so much!

If any other ladies have recommendations, please chime in!

spellinto

Thank you ladies! I will curl and do braidouts for the next 4 months and see how things go. I'm just concerned about the winter weather, but maybe if I just "pin up" the curls (as opposed to bunning them) my ends will survive? I'll also check out some of the low mani regimens on here. I appreciate your answers so much!

If any other ladies have recommendations, please chime in!

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
@spellintino, have you considered using a leave in with AVG or AVJ within the first three-five ingredients to help close your cuticles and decrease your porosity? That will help keep your cuticles from catching on each other and splitting.

I cosign the other ladies advice to go low manipulation and wear braid outs for a few months in lieu of constant bunning. I don't know what your hair properties are beyond the stated high porosity, but if you have fine hair you may need to dust frequently instead of trimming to avoid major cut/trims due to split ends. I'd rather you dust 1/4" every 8 weeks instead of a major trim/cut.

Good luck!

Last edited:

spellinto

@spellintino, have you considered using a leave in with AVG or AVJ within the first three-five ingredients to help close your cuticles and decrease your porosity? That will help keep your cuticles from catching on each other and splitting.

I cosign the other ladies advice to go low manipulation and where braid outs for a few months in lieu of constant bunning. I don't know what your hair properties are beyond the stated high porosity, but if you have fine hair you may need to dust frequently instead of trimming to avoid major cut/trims due to split ends. I'd rather you dust 1/4" every 8 weeks instead of a major trim/cut.

Good luck!

Thank you, I will try AVJ and see how it makes my hair feel. My hair is thick but I will definitely take your advice and trim more. How often should I trim?

Lilmama1011

Thank you, I will try AVJ and see how it makes my hair feel. My hair is thick but I will definitely take your advice and trim more. How often should I trim?

Trim when needed. I learned on here it shouldn't be a schedule. Why trim every 8 weeks when your hair only needs a trim every six months. Cut off the damage now and take care of your hair and trim when necessary to retain the most length and not cut off progress

Guinan

Re-Branding
I 2nd AVJ. That really helped w/ my splits & breakage. I have high porosity too & AVJ & sometimes ACV are the only things that help with my splits. I also do regular dusting.

Bunning doesnt work for me. If I do bun, its using on a braidout. I also like curl formers as a PS. I just pinned them up & they are good for a week or two.

Vintagecoilylocks

I don't know how or why a bun could damage your ends. Heavy sealants like vaseline can smother the hair preventing moisture from getting in to the shaft.

When you steam that is still a form of heat. Plus you are using a dryer.... thats more heat. Every time you comb seamless or not it rakes over the cuticles. Shampoo is drying, period. Each time you cut a strand of hair you are opening it up at the ends to air leading to drying. When you baggy it is important what products you are using.

What I am trying to point out is that you do ALOT to your hair and it may be the combination and overload that is the problem. Cut out shampoo and heat. DC with just a plastic cap. Detangle with hands or at least keep comp away from your ends. Start with one moisturizing oil and see like olive oil. Try a butter mixture. Use natural protein only twice a month. A bun should not destroy ends. Finally eat right drink lots of water to produce stronger hair.

Good luck:yep:

Lilmama1011

I don't know how or why a bun could damage your ends. Heavy sealants like vaseline can smother the hair preventing moisture from getting in to the shaft.

When you steam that is still a form of heat. Plus you are using a dryer.... thats more heat. Every time you comb seamless or not it rakes over the cuticles. Shampoo is drying, period. Each time you cut a strand of hair you are opening it up at the ends to air leading to drying. When you baggy it is important what products you are using.

What I am trying to point out is that you do ALOT to your hair and it may be the combination and overload that is the problem. Cut out shampoo and heat. DC with just a plastic cap. Detangle with hands or at least keep comp away from your ends. Start with one moisturizing oil and see like olive oil. Try a butter mixture. Use natural protein only twice a month. A bun should not destroy ends. Finally eat right drink lots of water to produce stronger hair.

Some have reported messing up ends with bunning so frequently. When they bun too tightly and then tuck the ends under they slowly break the ends off or when wet burning, the ends are wet and break when forcing it under whatever they binned with, scrunchie, ponytail holder, sock, and bun maker

Last edited:

Ogoma

Sometimes, I "bun" without tools or rubbing my ends together. I put my hair in one braid, make a little space just above the braid, and tuck the end of the braids there. I might use a pin to secure it at the top, but I do not have to pin my ends as they are already tucked into my hair. Stretching out the braid gives a bigger, fatter looking bun.

I hope you find a solution. I understand it can be very frustrating.

spellinto

Vintagecoilylocks: No no no....I wasn't saying that I do all of these things regularly, these are just things that I've tried at different points to fix the problem. I don't baggy, steam, and use a dryer at all...I've only done those things once or twice (steaming a few weeks or so), and they didn't work. I think I shared my regimen in the first post: DC 1-2x /wk, shampoo 1x/week (sulfate free), cowash 1-2x a week, moisturize daily/every other day...

I do agree that my buns shouldn't destroy my ends...I think it has more to do with how frequently I bun (which is practically every day of my life lol). I think overtime the constant bunning weakened my ends. I've noticed that sometimes my ends look dented and/or more split after I've bunned. I wish I could implement your tips, but I am 4b/c relaxed...to not comb the two different textures during my stretchs spells disaster :nono: (I only comb once a week too, which I don't think is that bad)...same with only using protein twice a month (I use a light protein weekly). Also, my hair has somewhat of an aversion to oils. They just make my strands drier.

Still, I appreciate your advice! Thank you

Jobwright

I'm no expert by any stretch but maybe there was damage, maybe over processing, some time ago, and that hair has grown out to be your ends now. Maybe try roller setting to keep the ends straight and not bent up in a bun?

iVR

How are you doing your buns? Constant bunning depending on how the bun is done can cause really bad splits. Do you use ACV at all? I use ACV for conditioning and closing of the cuticle, which prevents splits, once a week. My hair stylist says it's been working too.

iVR

By the way your routine sounds solid. Keep it up. It might just be one thing you need to add and your hair will keep thriving without the splits.