Bad experience with Elasta QP Soy Oyl Relaxer

demlew

Hi everyone. Sorry this is kinda long, but I need help! I've had a bad experience using the Elasta QP Soy Oyl lye relaxer. I tried it because while I liked ORS lye, my hair was always underprocessed. My hair has been healthier since switching to lye 2 years ago.

I used the Elasta QP (regular strength) on 10/31/11. I started noticing extreme frizziness within two weeks. I'm 9 weeks post and I've had so many split ends that I had to have a trim. Also, there's 2-3 sections of hair that won't curl/flat iron correctly. I noticed many places now have this product reduced as though it's being discontinued.

This is the only thing I changed in my regimen, so I know it wasn't the other products (Aphogee Green Tea, Aphogee Pro-Vitamin, SE MegaSilk DC, and Kirkland SLS-free shampoo).

I'm going to stretch as long as I can before I move to another brand. Does anyone have recommendations/advice? My hair is thick, 4 a/b, nearing APL.

TIA!

pink219

I also tried ORS lye and it did nothing for my hair...very underprocessed. Then I did try elasta OYL and it burnt my scalp up and did not, I mean DID NOT straighten my hair at all.

That is one of the reasons I stopped trying to find a good lye relaxer and went to no lye...I couldn't take the frizziness and I don't want to be texlaxed or not relaxed at all (in some cases).

I recommend prepooing/deep conditioning in coconut oil. Also try proclaim oil with argan oil it has sunflower oil which is a ceramide.

Gradually trim your ends to regain healthy non frizzy hair.

Hope this helps.

southerncitygirl

when i was relaxed i used the lye version of affirm fiberguard and it was awesome. best of luck with getting your hair back on track :(

demlew

pink219 - Thanks for the advice. I had been no-lye relaxing for years, but my hair was always dry even though I chelated and did everything else properly. I did research on here before switching to lye. I don't regret the switch (aside from this setback). I'll look into the proclaim oil. I already use coconut oil, but I need all the ceramides I can get lol.

I also tried ORS lye and it did nothing for my hair...very underprocessed. Then I did try elasta OYL and it burnt my scalp up and did not, I mean DID NOT straighten my hair at all.

That is one of the reasons I stopped trying to find a good lye relaxer and went to no lye...I couldn't take the frizziness and I don't want to be texlaxed or not relaxed at all (in some cases).

I recommend prepooing/deep conditioning in coconut oil. Also try proclaim oil with argan oil it has sunflower oil which is a ceramide.

Gradually trim your ends to regain healthy non frizzy hair.

Hope this helps.

Aggie

It sounds to me like your hair is severely under-processed. You may have to do a corrective relaxer the next time around. The safest time frame is at least 6 weeks post. You will have to relax the previously relaxed hair but only for about 5 minutes at the end of the relaxer process.

You start with your newest new growth and about 5 minutes before you're ready to wash it out, pull the relaxer up over the under-processed relaxed hair. I would start working with the area that is grossly under-processed first then proceed to wash it out as normal.

Please do not miss any of the steps like the 5 minute mid-relaxer protein treatment after washing out the relaxer followed by neutralizing, then deep moisture conditioning. Good luck!

TeeMBL

Lurker
Kinda sounds overprocessed to me (mainly because of the frizziness and difficulty curling). Is the "frizziness" at the new growth, or your previously relaxed hair?
I used the same relaxer a few weeks ago, and loved the results (it was also the reduced version). Not sure about the split ends, were they protected during the process, and do you trim/dust regularly?

demlew

TeeMBL - ITA - maybe overprocessed, only because I've never experienced this before (but I'm familiar with underprocessed). The frizziness is the already relaxed part, but it's still so straight that I'm going to keep managing my ng for a few weeks. The ng is just as thick as always so at least that wasn't affected lol. My ends were trimmed and ok as I wear a bun most days. I coated the relaxed hair with olive oil before relaxing and stayed within the timeframe for processing.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
It does sound overprocessed.
Eventually, you'll have to cut it, because there's no way to repair damaged hair. But until you're ready to do that, giving your hair more protein as well as deeply moisturizing treatments will probably help you hang on to the hair.
ACV or cold water rinses and using a conditioner with cones in it will also reduce the frizzy and split look by smoothing the cuticle layer and temporarily sealing the fraying ends.
Doing a beer rinse might also help with improving the condition of your hair and making it more agreeable with styling...I know there are naturals who do it when their hair has heat damage, so maybe it would be worth a try.

Also, I'm not sure if you wanted a relaxer recommendation, but if you did, I'm a big fan of Design Essentials Lo-Lye with Shea Butter. Best relaxer I've ever tried. :yep:

demlew

Chaosbutterfly - Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it. I've been using more "reconstructor"-type treatments, so maybe I'm on the right track. I'm going to do a full henna treatment soon with coconut milk and greek yogurt. That's "protein", moisture, and straightening power for my ng lol

Btw, is the relaxer really called Lo-Lye and where is it found (regular BSS, Sally's)? I'll def look it up in a few weeks. Thanks again!

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
demlew, I think the henna will help. I've never used it, but I hear it does wonders for strengthening and smoothing the hair.

And yep, the relaxer is called Lo-Lye...I have no idea why they spell it like a tween writing a text, but that's seriously the name. :lol:
I don't think Sally's carries it, but I've seen it in other BSS's. I think if they carry other salon brands of relaxer, they should carry Design Essentials.

TeeMBL

Lurker
I agree with chaosbutterfly, you'll have to baby the overprocessed hair until you are able to cut it off. Unfortunately I have a lot of experience with overprocessed hair from damage done prior to my HHJ. I don't go overboard with the protein just a weekly Aphogee 2m, and perhaps ORS every now and then. My goal is to reach MBL and start cutting at that point, so far it's growing without any issues. Just stay on top of your moisture/protein balance and KISS.

Aggie

It does sound overprocessed.
Eventually, you'll have to cut it, because there's no way to repair damaged hair. But until you're ready to do that, giving your hair more protein as well as deeply moisturizing treatments will probably help you hang on to the hair.
ACV or cold water rinses and using a conditioner with cones in it will also reduce the frizzy and split look by smoothing the cuticle layer and temporarily sealing the fraying ends.
Doing a beer rinse might also help with improving the condition of your hair and making it more agreeable with styling...I know there are naturals who do it when their hair has heat damage, so maybe it would be worth a try.

Also, I'm not sure if you wanted a relaxer recommendation, but if you did, I'm a big fan of Design Essentials Lo-Lye with Shea Butter. Best relaxer I've ever tried. :yep:

I thought the bolded was a texturizer:look:. No?

demlew

Chaosbutterfly - I only read the first part of your post as "I think the henna will..." And I was thinking "Noooo!!!" - thinking you were about to say the henna would be bad for my hair. I love my henna! I drove to 3 different stores last night looking for a specific brand!

As I'm reading everyone's posts about eventually cutting my hair, I have a :cry3: feeling. I didn't realize how much I love the success I've had so far until now. It's ok. I have alot to be thankful for and I'll keep babying it. Maybe I can salvage it :yep:

Sorry for the emoticons - had too much caffeine today.