Bald to Classic in 6.5 years -- "CLEAR" advice

Charla

Hi, I came across this http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=58article and found it not only interesting, especially with the pictures, but also it helped me put back into perspective a little that "they" have to work for length too. This article is unedited by me. All that being said, glean from this article what YOU willl.

As one of the few who started growing out from bald, I thought I would type down some of my experiences and advice.

I started growing my hair out after I had cut it all off due to extreme damage. I was considering bleaching my hair and a friend of mine told me to use lemon juice, "Because it's natural and gentler on the hair." I thought that made sense since I didn't know that the acid in lemon juice is very good at breaking up protein bonds. What does 80% of your hair consist of? Protein!

The result was that my hair got extremely damaged and I wasn't a patient detangler, so I damaged it even more. I was literally ripping out squirrels! It felt and looked like hay. So, I had to cut it very, very short to get rid of the damage. But I thought about it and decided that since my healthy hair was no more than a month of growth "long" I might as well just shave everything off. Just to for once in my life trying to be completely and utterly bald.

Bad things about starting over from bald/extremely short
•You will have to get through all the awful growing out-stages
•Hair will be all layers
•People will look at you strangely
•You risk sunburn on your head
•You need gel or the like to keep hair out of your eyes
•You will need to have your short hair cut into shape along the way or you get that icky microphone hair and that will take even longer to grow out

Good things about starting over from bald/very short
•You get the chance of getting rid of all your bad hair habits
•You can get to clean and moisturize your scalp as well as your skin
•Hair will be too short to actually tangle so you won't get any detangling damage for a year or so
•You will appreciate it more

Would I recommend it?
I don't think so. If you think about it, you'll have to realize it will take at least two years before you can even put your hair up in a pony tail. Two years… think about it. It's a long time before you're through it. Would it be worth it?

On the other hand, if your hair is or is going to be very short, why not? Consider it a once-in-a-lifetime experience in line with bungee jumping or other horrifying yet thrilling experiences.

0 to 2 months, 0 to 1 inch long hair
•At this "length" you can throw away all your previous routines. I suggest that you don't use shampoo or any traditional hair products since there's so little hair to wash anyway. Threat your scalp like your facial skin: Clean, wash, tone and moisturize with your regular skin care products.
•Try to take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime chance to really spoil your scalp. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!
•Remember that those short hairs will be your ends for lots of years. Stimulate your scalp to grow them strong.
•Stock up on sunscreen! Remember that your scalp has been protected under your hair most of your life and is very sensitive. Add lots of high factor sunscreen every time you step outside the door. Use a higher factor than you use on the rest of your body - the skin on our body is used to it but your scalp is not.
•Styling options: none, really. Hair will stick out straight up and not really have any possibilities. If you want to style somehow, try using leave in-conditioner designed for hair and scalp. You can use aloe vera gel, but most likely you won't need a product with a lot of hold.
•Avoid harsh styling gels since it will get on your scalp.
•Hair styles: none, really, but knock yourself out with scarves, bandannas, cute hats and wigs! Buy some fake hair and put under them to play around.

2 to 4 months, 1 to 2 inches long
•Hair will start to lie down at this length.
•Keep up with the moisturizing and sunscreen as long as you feel you can "reach" the scalp and the cream won't be stuck in your hair. Start using "real" hair products to shampoo and condition your hair. Find some designed for hair and scalp
•Try measuring the hair you shed to see how fast it grows. At this length it will be very accurate because you can measure with a real ruler.
•Stock up on aloe vera gel and products designed for hair and scalp.
•Styling options: different styles with gel or leave in-conditioners. Aloe vera gel offer both scalp care and some hold. Try playing around with the part. It can make a huge difference to your appearance!
•Avoid gelling hair down. It just looks weird at this length.
•Hair styles: scarves, bandannas, cute hats and wigs. Buy some fake hair and put under them to play around.
•Begin to use headbands to hold the front lengths back from your face or use small clips and claws to pin pieces back.

4 to 14 months 2 to 7 inches long
•Now the hair will start to get in your eyes! It's a very annoying length and you will need to start gelling it up or sweep it to the side. Try using leave in-conditioner if you don't need as much hold as the aloe vera gel offers.
•This length is great to really notice your hairs natural growth pattern. Work with its swirls instead of fighting it. This information will come very handy as it grows longer. Where does it part naturally?
•If you aim for one length hair it will be too short to put up in a pony tail.
•Stock up on: Lots of pretty little clips, barrettes and claw clips. Leave in-conditioner and aloe vera gel is still necessary.
•Styling options: Gel up, gel to the side and lots of little clips to hold it. Try playing around with the part. It can make a huge difference to your appearance!
•Avoid the dreaded "mushroom" cut (long hair on the top and short at the bottom) if you have a lot of volume in your hair!
•Don't give up! This length IS very annoying, but it WILL pass. You WILL get through it and have a life of wonderful long hair.
•Hair styles: Scarves, bandannas, cute hats and wigs. Buy some fake hair and put under them to play around. Begin to use headbands to hold the front lengths back from your face or use small clips and claws to pin pieces back.
•Try doing little piggy tails with lots of lose hair poking out around it. High piggy tails may be able to pull hair away from your face. You can make little messy buns too at this length. Try dual high buns (aka "Mickey Mouse ears").

14 to 28 months, 6 to 14 inches long
•Now the hair will be long enough to put in a pony tail! When you pony tail you can follow how more and more of the hair on the back of your head can be put up. See the "line" creep down towards your neck.
•As soon as you can, stop using harsh styling products and switch to gentler leave in-products when you no longer need the strong hold.
•Hair styles: Scarves, bandannas, cute hats and wigs when you feel like it. When your hair gets longer, wigs can be hard to do if you have too much hair to hide under them, so take your chances now. Use headbands to hold the front lengths back from your face or use small clips and claws to pin pieces back.
•Try doing piggy tails and you can make little messy buns too at this length. I really liked the cute double buns at this length. Also do French braids to pull layers back form your face.

28 months and more, 14 inches and more
•Hair will now be shoulder length or longer. Most people will consider this length "long"
•You will be able to make the first "real" buns and braids
•Stock up on: Inspiration to play with the length!
•Styling options: Soon all styles will be possible! Look around to get inspired to play with your new length.
•Avoid letting the idea that "women over 30 need to have short hair" or other similar idiotic ideas get to you!
•Hair styles: Piggy tails, ponytails, braids, French braids, buns, double buns and many more.

I hope this is useful to someone!

Good luck from Igor, now at classic 6½ years after being completely bald.

Attachments

• 0 to 1 inch long hair.jpg
    0 to 1 inch long hair.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 381
  • 1 to 2 inch long hair.jpg
    1 to 2 inch long hair.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 356
  • 2 to 7 inch long hair.jpg
    2 to 7 inch long hair.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 353
  • 6 to 14 inch long hair.jpg
    6 to 14 inch long hair.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 351
  • 14 inches and more.jpg
    14 inches and more.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Wow! Amazing progress from bald to classic.

The only real work she talked about was finding styling options. Not once did she speak of any setbacks or having to trim but still a very inspirational story!

NaijaNaps

I wonder what it's like to have a gap that big between your thighs?

:lachen: I wonder sometimes too. My inner thighs, much like my hair strands like to stay very close together, lol.

Back on topic, this is really some useful, detailed tips. Thanks for sharing!

Solitude

I love that she noted that most people consider shoulder-length hair long. I've been saying that forever.

Charla

I love that she noted that most people consider shoulder-length hair long. I've been saying that forever.

That surprised me too because I also thought they considered SL hair to be short. But seeing the super ultra long hair ladies have me cheering on the ladies on this forum even more who are heading to WL and beyond!

My Friend

:clapping::clapping::clapping: Congrats to her and all her hard work. I know sometimes we feel certain textures can retain a lot easier that other textures but when you get past BSL no matter what texture, she put in work.

MilkChocolateOne

I really don't see the hard work, just general advice and styling options. We have members here that have been growing out their hair for 6+ years and how many of them are classic length? And yes, some hair types do not have to work as hard at retaining length as others. I really don't see the problem with acknowledging that. This doesn't prove to me that "clear" people have to struggle for length.

LadyPaniolo

Wow, that length is so inspiring. Since I did my chop to remove the texlaxed ends, I've been stuck at BSL :wallbash: and the longest layer is creeping to waist. I cannot WAIT to have thick, long 4a hair hanging to classic length :drool:

Charla

I really don't see the hard work, just general advice and styling options. We have members here that have been growing out their hair for 6+ years and how many of them are classic length? And yes, some hair types do not have to work as hard at retaining length as others. I really don't see the problem with acknowledging that. This doesn't prove to me that "clear" people have to struggle for length.

One thing I found significant about the styling options that she mentioned is that they're mostly protective styles...buns, braids, pinning hair back, buying fake hair...hmmm...she gets it!

tru4reele

Ooooh I was wondering why she kept saying the hair will get n ur eyes 2-7 inches long. She's white. I was like ain't no black hair getting n ur eyes that short unless u straighten it.

MzSwift

Thanks for posting!
I also started w/a bald cut.
I'm KISSing and visualizing my way to long lengths!

LittleLuxe

Not trying to start anything, but when did we start calling white people 'clear'?

I didn't realize that was what was being referenced.

I do appreciate the protective styles though I also would have liked to hear how often she shampoos, if/when she deep conditions, moisturizer, if she stopped putting stuff on her scalp, etc.

Bnster

I noted she has a rate of 1/2 inch a month for hair growth, same rate for many of us on here give or take including myself. Thanks for sharing OP, it is nice to see someone timeline in how long it took to receive their goal. She had a BC and a TWH style like some have already gone through on here.

Tiye

Everyone has to work to maintain their hair not just black people. What stands out to me is that she seems to advocate low product care methods. I normally fall in the "genetics" philosophy of hair growth, but people are different. So if you're trying everything and the kitchen sink and not getting significant results it just might be that that simplifying could be the answer.

Miss*Tress

Wow! Amazing progress from bald to classic.

The only real work she talked about was finding styling options. Not once did she speak of any setbacks or having to trim but still a very inspirational story!
I would consider the whole experience with lemon juice and having hair like straw that had to be all cut off to be a setback.

Ladybelle

nope, 2 Years for a full pony:perplexed.... at least on me it is

That's a little disappointing, I'm starting again from a TWA. But, it helps to know the truth. DANG! :sad:

On another note, I know she put in effort to grow her hair, but I don't think it's the same as what I see done on LHCF - cowashing, dc's, no comb, clarify, protein/moisture balance, steaming, growth treatments and so on and so forth.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think women of color have to put in way more work to not grow hair but to retain it. Our hair texture is so fragile that one must specifically learn how to retain it. I could be wrong though.

WyrdWay

That's a little disappointing, I'm starting again from a TWA. But, it helps to know the truth. DANG! :sad:

On another note, I know she put in effort to grow her hair, but I don't think it's the same as what I see done on LHCF - cowashing, dc's, no comb, clarify, protein/moisture balance, steaming, growth treatments and so on and so forth.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think women of color have to put in way more work to not grow hair but to retain it. Our hair texture is so fragile that one must specifically learn how to retain it. I could be wrong though.

Those are all things they do on the LHC too. In fact that is where I learned about cowashing, the dangers of bad brushes and combs, clarifing, henna (for hair), and numerous other hair stuff.

kblc06

@Ladybelle
Actually, the people I've seen who have gained the most retention in the shortest amount of time have done NONE of this. They wash & DC maybe 1x a week or even every 2-3 weeks, moisturize when needed, PS, trim only when necessary, and grow. I'm beginning to see that that's really all that's needed. Sometimes the extra just really isn't necessary

Charla

Those are all things they do on the LHC too. In fact that is where I learned about cowashing, the dangers of bad brushes and combs, clarifing, henna (for hair), and numerous other hair stuff.

Ladybelle WyrdWay
So true. If you've never browsed LHC, you'd be surprised. That site is almost identical to this one except they're predominately in the range of hair types 1-3, mostly 1-2. But you'll see ladies starting from bald or pixie and joining challenges to get to SL. You'll all the length challenges, product complaints, hair anniversaries, best DC and seamless combs, struggles trying to figure out why their hair is so dry or oily or breaking etc. And they DO protect their ends! We ALL go through it!