banana clips & breakage

msjones

Do Banana Clips cause as much or more breakage as a ponytail holder? I've been super lazy lately and w/ the hot humid weather, I've been moisturizing, sealing, and throwing my hair up in a banana clip. Is this too damaging to continue?

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
I think it can cause as much damage, but moisturizing and sealing is good for protecting your hair in addition to:

- Smoothing any raggy edges on the clip with a file.
- Alternating the clip's position (high/low/sideways).
- Making sure the hair is gathered loosely.

loveable37

I think so it broke a huge amount out the top of my head and i never wore another one well i have one now its so big with round smooth teeth not the cheap sharp ones.

Blackoutzangel05

I find that if you moisturize and seal it should do any harm. Since there were teeth on it just like my 1/2 wigs, I applied castor oil to the teeth before putting it in my hair and that helped. I wear my sideways and don't do it everyday so that probably helped as well, but I love the fullness that I got when I applied it sideways and although I didn't smooth ends and all that I love the wild style that I achieved.

hOnii

sometimes it causes my hair to break toward the bottom of the clip where the two parts are held together. i just take extra care when removing it. If there is some hair caught between, I disconnect the two pieces.

northernbelle

I would think that any hair tool - clip, scrunchie, etc. - which causes the hair to pull in one direction via applied tension will cause breakage after a period of time, no matter how "gentle" the tool. I don't think hair was designed to be pulled back and tied up frequently.

hOnii

Okay, so I realized that this has been the source of my breakage at the left side of my head. Normally, I will use this almost every day for work, and put it in tight to the left side, then twist up the ends into a roll-- its really cute. But I guess I have to find another beauty tool, because this has caused so much damage. :(

Mocha5

sometimes it causes my hair to break toward the bottom of the clip where the two parts are held together. i just take extra care when removing it. If there is some hair caught between, I disconnect the two pieces.

What she said. Except I can't disconnect mine.

dillard

yeah, this is what happens to me too. i usually have to detach the ends too which is a pain and my hair gets tangled, I don't wear it much anymore. I have a cheapo one though, maybe that's why.