Baptism? Which is correct?

natural_one

I was reading the Holy Spirit thread and it got me to wondering..Why do churches baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit when the Bible says to baptize in the name of Jesus? Is there a scripture that says to baptize in all three names? Do you think it really matters?

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said to them, 'Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.'

Ms.Honey

Every word, the truth of God must be established between two or more witness. Do these N.T. scriptures have corresponding N.T. scriptures that back them up? The one that does is what we should do.

trenise

I know this does not answer the question, but I have grown up with both perspectives in my family. The family members who said baptize in Jesus' name said it was really important and mattered a lot. The family members and members of the church who said baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit said either one was okay and it didn't really matter. This always confused me because I thought, if it doesn't matter to the ones who baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, then just do the one that's important and does matter. But also, I hear of so many other religions becoming more known, more mainstream now and they all refer to god. I would want to make sure I mentioned Jesus' name just so people can know who I'm talking about.

lilmsjanet

i wrote this not to long ago in another thread but this is how i feel about the topic

when you think about it do you really need to go to a church to be baptized cant you just do it at home or get it done by someone who is already saved i was thinking about it so i looked it up

Here is a question someone asked about it :serious question.. every church asks you their questions and you have to accept what they teach to be baptised, but I don't agree with most of their teachings, but still would like to get baptised somewhere, but nobody will baptise me unless I accept what they think is true..... can I baptise myself in the name of Jesus and avoid answering to those questions?

Any Christian can perform a baptism on another Christian. This isn't reserved simply for members of the clergy.

In Matthew 28:18, Jesus states that He is the final authority, and He gives His followers permission to go out and make disciples of all nations (men), baptizing them in His name, and also in the names of the Father and Holy Spirit.

>>>>18Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."<<<<

Baptism is done simply as an outward expression of your inward devotion, and does not have to be performed in a church, or in connection with any church. Jesus defined a church as anywhere that 2 or more persons have gathered.

Ask a friend or family member to baptize you, it's as simple as that.

I don't think it's possible to baptize yourself, and many Christians feel that baptism isn't even a necessity.

Rest assured that God knows your heart. Your faith is the most important thing. If you believe in your heart and confess with your mouth (speak aloud) that Jesus died for your sins, that God raised Him from the dead, ask His forgiveness, and accept Him as your Savior, you're saved.

Romans 10:9-10

>>>>>>>9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.<<<<<<

HeChangedMyName

Matthew 28
16 The eleven followers went to Galilee to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go.17 On the mountain they saw Jesus and worshiped him, but some of them did not believe it was really Jesus. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All power in heaven and on earth is given to me. 19 So go and make followers of all people in the world. Baptize them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. 20 Teach them to obey everything that I have taught you, and I will be with you always, even until the end of this age." (NCV)

16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had appointed for them. 17 When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some doubted.
18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen. (NKJV)

discobiscuits

when i was baptized @ my church they gave us the option to be baptized either way or both but reminded us that jesus is the name by which we are saved and that name should be sufficient to be baptized in/with.

the bible does not say what if any name John baptized ppl or jesus in it just says he baptized with water for the remission of sins and that jesus baptizes in the holy spirit & w/ fire. after his resurrection, jesus instructed the eleven diciples to go and baptize in the name of the father, son & holy spirit.

suburbanbushbabe

Baptism is done simply as an outward expression of your inward devotion, and does not have to be performed in a church, or in connection with any church. Jesus defined a church as anywhere that 2 or more persons have gathered.

Jesus was baptized by John and Jesus always invoked his Father and the holy spirit. John acknowledged that he baptized with water, but that Jesus would baptize with the spirit.

In my church, the rite of baptism is a communal one. It involves the person being baptized, his/her parents, the godparents, the minister. And the congregation both witnesses and participates. It is a very moving thing to be part of -- quite literally a welcome into the community of other children of God (the congregation and the church). Being a god parent is a very sacred charge, they are as important as the parents.

MonaRae

I was reading the Holy Spirit thread and it got me to wondering..Why do churches baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit when the Bible says to baptize in the name of Jesus? Is there a scripture that says to baptize in all three names? Do you think it really matters?

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said to them, 'Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.'

Yes, there is a scripture that state that as noted by a few of the ladies here.

Mathew 28:19 "Go ye therefore and teach all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

Now if you notice it says name not names. This implies that there is only one name which is The Lord Jesus Christ. Mathew 28:19 and Acts 2:38 do not conflict, they back each other up.

God the Father came down from Glory and lived in a man (Jesus) then went back to Glory and sent His Spirit (Holy Ghost). If it helps any this can also be clear up by a married woman and lets say her name is Lisa. She is her parents daughter, her children's mother, and her husband's wife. Three different titles yet one person and that persons name is Lisa.

HTH!
MonaRae

Last edited:

Ramya

Yes, there is a scripture that state that was others has noted in

Mathew 28:19 "Go ye therefore and teach all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

Now if you notice it says name not names. This implies that there is only one name which is The Lord Jesus Christ. Mathew 28:19 and Acts 2:38 do not conflict, they back each other up.

God the Father came down from Glory and lived in a man (Jesus) then went back to Glory and sent His Spirit (Holy Ghost). If it helps any this can also be clear up by a married woman and lets say her name is Lisa. She is her parents daughter, her children's mother, and her husband's wife. Three different titles yet one person and that persons name is Lisa.

HTH!
MonaRae

This is how I understand it as well.

futureapl

Bump...

At my former church I was baptized "in the name of the father, son, and holy spirit in Jesus name."

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
Besides the direct command from Jesus, the sacrament or rite of baptism was instituted at Jesus' own baptism. The Trinity was manifested by the Son receiving baptism, the Father's voice from heaven proclaiming being well-pleased and the descent of the Holy Spirit in the form of a dove.