BCers... how do/did you deal with the extreme layers?

Neith

I was looking at my hair today. It has grown a good amount since I went natural.

My hair is like an even 6 - 6.5 inches all around from root to tip. That means the hair at my crown and the top of my head does not reach the hair on the bottom parts.

My longest layer is CBL length in the back. My sides are nearly SL. My shortest layers at the crown are like ear length :wallbash:

I want my hair to be blunt one day, but the difference in length between my longest layers and shortest layers is ridiculous. I'm probably gonna have to grow out my hair for an extra year just to get the layers out and cut quite a bit off eventually.

When did you cut or when did you plan to cut? Did you not cut the layers out... do they catch up on their own? (wishful thinking :perplexed)

I'm thinking/hoping that since I wear my hair in coily styles, it won't show... until I reach a length that I'm comfortable with chopping some of the longer layers down.

What are your experiences with growing your hair out from a short cut?

makeupgirl

well I did the BC 2 months ago and I'm seeing layers. Like the back of my hair is longer than the front but also at the top it's also longer. I did the cut myself so I'll probably have to see a stylist to even it up. but I think the layers are normal.

Taina

I'm experiencing he same here. My hair is shorter than yours, but is looks awfull when i flat iron it (i do it to see how much my hair has grown) my back hair is NL the sides and front are not even ear lenght!!!

So, i will wait untill my hair ges longer and i will have a layers cu untill i reach AP all together and can cu it all even =)

Lyoness

I deal with them by ignoring em..I just do styles where they're not obvious..

.. even if my hair was all the same length, the curl sizes vary so I'd still end up with layers..

Desarae

Kept cutting my hair until they caught up. My shortest layers are finally within an inch of the longest ones after 2 years.
This is the back of my hair NOV. 2008 Last year:

(I cut the back off shortly after that pic was taken)

This was the side excuse the face it was late:

This was taken Dec 2008 after I cut the back off for the second time:

and now Dec 2009
(This is after cutting the back and side layers off 2 more times since then):

If I would have just let them grow out my back layer would be past APL right now. But I was going for even hair, so I cut.

I've cut the back of my hair off 3 or 4 times, now I finally get to let it grow! It's fine if you wear coily styles, but if your hair is straight, the lonely longer layers hanging out can make your hair appear thin...not a good look.

Last edited:

BlackMasterPiece

I think layers are cute and natural looking. I did my friends hair she's a 4a natural with a beautiful huge fro and when we defined her curls she had SUCH distinct layers I thought it was gorgeous. I say wait until it gets longer and see how you feel. I like layers framing my face and blunt in the back:yep:

Maybe you can reach your goal, then from there even it out.....

Last edited:

Neith

DesiRae - your hair looks great!! :)

I think layers are cute and natural looking. I did my friends hair she's a 4a natural with a beautiful huge fro and when we defined her curls she had SUCH distinct layers I thought it was gorgeous. I say wait until it gets longer and see how you feel. I like layers framing my face and blunt in the back:yep:

I can deal with a few cute face framing layers, but that's not what I have. :lol:

I guess another BC of sorts is in my future... sometime down the road. Makes no sense to do it right now though, that would be like half of my hair.

Nonie

Wearing my hair hanging down has never been a dream or wish of mine, so having my hair all the same length so that I could get a perfect round afro works for me. I find I can wear more styles that way. If my hair at the nape were shorter than at the crown, how would I be able to do updos? Nah, I need my hair to be the same length all round.

Victorian

old head
I prefer all (or mostly) one length on myself, so I wasn't a fan of the eleventy million layers. I have thin hair, so too many layers tends to make my hair look anemic when worn straight. But since I was wearing a puff most of the time it wasn't too bad. I gave myself a hearty blunt trim whenever I straightened about twice a year for the first 2-3 years. You kinda just have to ignore the layers the rest of the time or you'll go nuts chopping off your length too often trying to get it all evened up.

Minnie

I really never paid that much attention, to be honest. Maybe when my hair gets longer, I may consider blunt cut. But at this time I like ponies which I couldn't achieve if I cut all the same length. Plus I like the way it hangs and frame my face :grin: I am just learning to love what I already have.

Leeda.the.Paladin

I have layers, but they don't bother me that much. People actually ask me where I got my hair cut because they like the layers. I may decide to cut them out one day, but for now, they work for me.

Vintageglam

I think the layers are more prominent when you first BC bc of the shape of your head and the way hair hangs. I don't think its so noticeable as time goes by and even adds volume.

Shananyganz

I'm already seeing layers, but my hair just grows like that...even when I was relaxed. It just wasn't THAT obvious at the time because the nape had broken off so badly (now the nape is like on steriods or something). I decided here recently (after taken down my install) to just let it ride until I decide to straigthen (who knows when) and then see what I see at that time. I figure so long as I'm puffing or twisting, no need to worry. Personally I like my layers...when they look like they were supposed to happen; I'm not a fan of uneven hair.

I think it is a good thing that you decided to wait as well...who knows, your hair just may take care of that issue itself and if not, then you'll know how to better handle later on.

~S~

naturalgyrl5199

I have extreme layers...

My longest is grazing BSL..
Front and Sides and Bangs range from CL to SL and a little longer....

My hair has always been like that...though my hair is mostly 4AB...the back is more like 3C so it hangs longer in the back

I plan to keep my ends healthy and keep it moving...I am not worried...I will admit its easier to put in a bun or pony without a piece hanging from the sides now that its longer.....but give it time...it gets better.....I am doing this to see how long it takes my hair to get to a certain length....cutting everything into one layer will set me back like nobody's business....only for it to start doing its own thing and layering itself naturally....

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Next Wednesday will be my first time getting my hair straightened by the pros as a natural since my BC (June 2009)

I am interested in seeing what my layers will look like. I hope I am not dissapointed

Kiynwah

In the same boat! Each strand is the exact same length, but it hangs at different levels when it's down. So the same 12 inches can be anywhere from CL in the front, to BSL in the back. I think it'll look better as it gets longer though. I don't plan on cutting the layers out just yet....