BC'ing in 2013. Who's With Me?

bhndbrwneyes

I've decided (and always known) that I can't do a 2+ year transition (March 15, 2014 will be my 2 year). I've given myself a timeframe to do the big chop and you know I'm serious cuz I'm writing it on here. I'm sure come 2014 if I haven't done it yet I'll hear from at least one person saying "Weren't you supposed to BC in 2013?". Yep :grin: So this thread is to hold myself accountable.

If you also plan to BC in 2013 you can join me here. Post your before and after pics when it finally happens. This is not a challenge, there will be no check-ins/updates of any sorts just people (or myself) committing to BC'ing in the year 2013.

If you have already done it this year or it occurs some point down the road unplanned then feel free to share your pics and experience as well.

I've given myself a timeframe because I feel like I still need a few more inches of growth so I don't want to do it before then but I will definitely do it this year.

Window Start Date:
7/1/13
Window End Date: 12/31/13
Current Length: WL as of 4/25/13
Current Transition: 14 months
Concerns: Styling short hair especially for work, making my already big head look even bigger, if I decided to wig it up (which I have never done before) that my wig will fall of in public at some point lol, my boyfriend not liking it (but he's the least of my concerns I've already mentioned it to him) :ohwell:
What I'm Looking Forward To: Easier wash days, easier detangling, better DC results, not wasting money/product on longer hair

SIDE NOTE: Some people get very finicky about the term "big chop". When I say I will be BC'ing, I mean I will be cutting off all my relaxed ends, NOT shaving my head. I will have about NL hair afterwards.

This is my most recent length check. Will post another photo right before and after the BC.

Last edited:

Amarilles

My tops is December 2013 too, a total of 20 months if I go that far. I'm going back home (Dominican Rep.) and need this head to be all natural before then so for sure I'll join!

Window Start Date: 7/1/13
Window End Date: 12/5/13
Current Length: APL I think
Current Transition: 12 months
Concerns: Not too many...I have a wedding in late June and need the length, after then it's all game. My BF prefers long hair and I love him and all but he can go kick rocks :grin:
What I'm Looking Forward To: Curly curls of all shapes and sizes! Being the first adult natural in my family to not relax and not straighten...looking foward to my hair as it naturally is in general.

I don't length check yet but these are from my most recent new growth pics - 4/6/13

Attachments

• 20130406_124336.jpg
    20130406_124336.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 51
  • 20130406_125154.jpg
    20130406_125154.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 58

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I'll be BC/MC'ing (Mini Chopping) in August for my two-year Nappiversary. My last relaxer was in August 2011. I fried my ends in February while flat ironing to do a length check. I cut about 3/4-1" off last week trying to get rid of the fried ends. I need to invest in a Sedu Revolution 1 1/2" flat iron (ceramic) for the 4-6 times a year that I want straight hair. I don't know if it's my current titanium flat iron or technique, but my fine ends can't take the flat iron heat.

Window Start Date: 8/1/13
Window End Date: 8/31/13
Current Length: BSB
Current Transition: 20 months
Concerns: I'm getting addicted to boutique hair brands, and I'm heavy handed w/product. I want to find on the ground products for when I didn't have the futuristic vision to order product etc. Ends looking frizzy even when they've been dusted/trimmed. I'm not worried about length, my length will be the same or possibly longer (we're going into the part of the year where my hair grows like weeds).
What I'm Looking Forward To: Easier wash days, easier detangling, and being able to claim 100% Natchal.

2013-02-09_01-40-53_107.jpg

2013-02-09_20-19-43_339.jpg

IMG_20130417_064937_575.jpg

The first two pictures are from February 9th. The last pic is from last week when I called myself getting rid of some of the fried/relaxed ends. I should have taken the last picture, before bed, so that I wouldn't worried about preserving the curls/waves etc.

ETA: I need to start doing wet length checks like you ladies, so I don't have to worry about frying my ends.

Last edited:

BostonMaria

I've decided (and always known) that I can't do a 2+ year transition (March 15, 2014 will be my 2 year).

Wow 2 years! I don't know how you long term transitioners do it! Kudos to you because after 10 months I couldn't take it anymore.

How many inches of "new growth" do you have? Because your hair looks almost 100% natural in that picture you posted.

Xerxes

I'm shaving my old relaxed hair off this Saturday at 3pm. I haven't transitioned at all. My last relaxer was in Feb. I don't know how people transition for years. At least I know from my prior BC, that my 4b hair laughs at transitioning and relaxers apparently. lol

Since my hair is uneven and I'll be cutting it all off right after taking out some braids, I don't know if you all could handle how ratchet my pre-BC hair will look! :)

<off to look for some threads with chicks with fades> :)

bhndbrwneyes

Wow 2 years! I don't know how you long term transitioners do it! Kudos to you because after 10 months I couldn't take it anymore.

How many inches of "new growth" do you have? Because your hair looks almost 100% natural in that picture you posted.

I'm not at 2 years yet. Only just past 1 year. I was saying that I KNOW that I can't make it 2 years. I know that Egyptjones and sipp100 both transitioned for 3 years!

And I have about 7 inches of new growth. I always asked for my relaxer to be bone straight and it got that way but seriously as soon as I washed my hair it would start to "revert" but not completely so I guess it looks texlaxed. Makes no sense for me to have relaxed hair if my hair won't hold the relaxer. I heard that's a typical issue with type 3 hair. Also, I'm ASSUMING I'm type 3 cuz that's what it looks like but I know my curls are being elongated because of the heavy relaxed ends weighing it down. That's one reason why I told myself at the beginning that I wasn't going to BC, because some people can't even see the difference in my hair. But I can definitely tell the difference. My natural hair is so much thicker and reacts better to all my products.

Fhrizzball

Sometimes I feel like relaxing just so I can transition, but that's crazy talk. I'll be rooting you for y'all.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Sometimes I feel like relaxing just so I can transition, but that's crazy talk. I'll be rooting you for y'all.

Yep. That's crazy talk. :lachen: I'll be cheering you ladies along too. This is SO exciting!

I remember having to post my intentions to hold myself accountable to my BC too. It worked. Good luck! I'll be watching. :lick:

AJellyCake

Congratulations to all of you who are chopping soon! :Rose::Rose::Rose: I say go for it!!

bhndbrwneyes You kind of sound like me! I was planning to chop after transitioning for 2 years (would have been March '13). When I hit 1 year I realized I didn't want to wait that long. I ended up chopping just shy of a year and a half, and it was the best hair decision I've ever made.

Xerxes I love that you're shaving. I'm sure you'll really enjoy it! Please share photos once you have time.

bhndbrwneyes

Man I'm already getting cold feet. Every other week I go from hardly able to wait and about to cut my hair myself right then and there to nearly hyperventilating at the thought of chopping my hair off. This week it's the latter. But that's exactly why I created this thread, to prevent myself from backing out. Regretting it at the moment lol.

My twist/braid outs have been turning out so nicely the past few days with these new products I bought so now I feel like I could transition for longer.

So now I'm going to lurk for BC'ed type 3 hair for some inspiration. I keep imagining if I cut it myself I'm going to end up with some horrific bowl-cut looking thing. So I googled "natural hair female bowl cut" to see how ridiculous something like that would look. I came across the following photo which is clearly not a bowl cut but I thought it was gorgeous so I wanted to share it.

Rae81

I'm thinking about it. July will be my 2 year transitioning mark. But every time I wash my hair and see the shrinkage I get discouraged.

sent from my galaxy