Be Careful: OCT\DC Labs' Website

MCMLXXII

Hi All: Monday, I went to OCT's website to place an order. I was entering my preliminary information (name, address, email, etc) and noticed the site was not (NOT!) secure. Still, I clicked NEXT to advance to the next page and noticed there was no https:// and there was no padlock to indicate a secure site. I was now on the page requesting my credit card information. I didn't proceed because there were no indicators that the site was secure...so I called DC Labs.

The lady that I spoke with said that many folks have called with the same complaint and that I shouldn't worry because the site is secure. Little did she know that I'm on the IT staff for a major company and it was going to take more than her verbal re-assurance for me to enter my credit card information. She asked how I found out about their product and I responded "a hair forum." To which she said, "Was it Long Hair Care Fourm?" and I said, "Yes." So they're aware they a lot of their business is being driven by this forum.

I should've asked but didn't ask, "If many folks have called with the same complaint, doesn't that mean you all should take some corrective action?"

Be careful, ladies. In a era of rampant ID theft, DC Labs should know better than to have an unsecure e-commerce site. This is negligent behavior.

Last edited:

Keshieshimmer

You did the right thing. They charge that much for their products and they can't secure that place? Unprofessional.

ajacks

I always check URL's to make sure they are secure as well (I guess it's because I am a web developer :grin:); that is why I always opt for PayPal whenever it is available. I am more at ease when using PayPal.

MrsQueeny

I always check URL's to make sure they are secure as well (I guess it's because I am a web developer :grin:); that is why I always opt for PayPal whenever it is available. I am more at ease when using PayPal.

I couldn't agree more. Thanks for the heads up though, OP. Q

Carolina18

I was as well at one point, until I had about £100 withdrawn from my bank account through PayPal. The name of the person to which the money was transferred took ages to show up on my online bank statement, and my bank suspected fraud when their own searches came up with nothing. They eventually linked the payment to Paypal, and I fortunately managed to file a dispute before the payment was transferred. I have read on other forums however that Paypal tends to be unhelpful if money has already been transferred to the recipient, so had my money been withdrawn, Paypal might have resolved the dispute in the 'thief's favour' - decisions can't be appealed either.

So, to sum it all up, check your Paypal transactions regularly as your log in details can always be stolen, and also check that the URL of the Paypal site is correct to ensure that it is not a phishing site.

TG2000

That is one reason why I purchase a reloadable MasterCard at wal-mart. I give myself a monthly allowance on that card. ID theft is serious!

Auburn

What can others do that submitted information there?

MCMLXXII

Check your credit reports (all three) thoroughly. Dispute any discrepancies and refrain from ordering from DC Labs. The idea of a reloadable CC is a good one. I'm a fan of letter writing...send them an email letting them know you can't do business with them until they firm-up their site.

nakialovesshoes

Check your credit reports (all three) thoroughly. Dispute any discrepancies and refrain from ordering from DC Labs. The idea of a reloadable CC is a good one. I'm a fan of letter writing...send them an email letting them know you can't do business with them until they firm-up their site.

B/C they are making so much money off of LHCF ladies I think we do need 2 bombard them w/e-mails letting them know how we feel. Also, it would be a neat idea 2 mention a better discount as well. :rolleyes:

Off 2 write my e-mail.

runwaydream

B/C they are making so much money off of LHCF ladies I think we do need 2 bombard them w/e-mails letting them know how we feel. Also, it would be a neat idea 2 mention a better discount as well. :rolleyes:

Off 2 write my e-mail.

yea i was thinking of doing the same thing. i think the girls on lhcf need to rally together on this one tho. a few scattered emails probably wont do much good.

Solitude

That is one reason why I purchase a reloadable MasterCard at wal-mart. I give myself a monthly allowance on that card. ID theft is serious!

Yes it is. I've been a victim & it's no joke. Thanks for the heads up- I'm sure that sooner or later I'll order some OCT :spinning:.

grnidmonster

I'll be emailing them either tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

What happened to you? I was just about to order yesterday and changed my mind because I figured Mega Tek was better and cheaper. Have they been treating you ladies bad? If so, regardless of how much I like the product, I will not be reordering. I"m down to write a letter and ask for a much bigger discount and a more secure site if they want our continued support.

MCMLXXII

What happened to you? I was just about to order yesterday and changed my mind because I figured Mega Tek was better and cheaper. Have they been treating you ladies bad? If so, regardless of how much I like the product, I will not be reordering. I"m down to write a letter and ask for a much bigger discount and a more secure site if they want our continued support.

done. This is the email that I just sent.

Hello: As an end-user on your site, I'm concerned about the site's lack of security. Once you enter the "Ovation Store," there are no indicators that the site is secure. There's no https:// and there is no padlock. This is irresponsible and poorly crafted. This highlights that you all are NOT concerned about your customers privacy - ultimately putting my information at risk. Be responsible. Hire a web designer who knows what they're doing and firm-up your site!

Since I don't work for LHCF, I didn't mention the board. I kept my complaint very general. I'm complaining as an ordinary end-user, not as a rep from LHCF. Just wanted to make that distinction.

Thanks ladies.

Last edited:

MCMLXXII

and exactly what email address are u guys sending it to? are u sending it to the shipping dept?

Good question. Once you go to the Ovation site, they have a "Contact Us" link. It asks for name and address information...which you can make up. :yep:

runwaydream

it is all documented at: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=300445

and if u dont feel like reading it..cause i mean it is kinda long. basically i didn't get the package that i bought. when i tried to talk to OCT they put the blame on FEDex, when i talked to FEDex they said the decision lies with OCT. talking to a member that is a business owner she told me that OCT is responsible and they'll have to be the ones to deal w. this if i ever want to see my money or the product. after hearing about how much customer service they lack and how there are other members who are having problems w. them i decided not to rebuy from them and not to just let this go. so i'm going to write an email and report them to the bbb.

nakialovesshoes

done. This is the email that I just sent.

Hello: As an end-user on your site, I'm concerned about the site's lack of security. Once you enter the "Ovation Store," there are no indicators that the site is secure. There's no https:// and there is no padlock. This is irresponsible and poorly crafted. This highlights that you all are NOT concerned about your customers privacy - ultimately putting my information at risk. Be responsible. Hire a web designer who knows what they're doing and firm-up your site!

Since I don't work for LHCF, I didn't mention the board. I kept my complaint very general. I'm complaining as an ordinary end-user, not as a rep from LHCF. Just wanted to make that distinction.

Thanks ladies.

Uh oh, I'm sry - I mentioned the forum & even asked for a better discount since they are aware of the members' overgenerous support. Soooo sry - I didn't speak as a rep, though, simply a member.

runwaydream

i think we should most definitely say we're members here. i know i will. that shows that we stick together and shows how much of their customers come from this site. and that if they want to keep us they should tighten up

runwaydream

i sent an email and reported them to the BBB and here's the info just in case anyone else wants to join me and put a stop to OCT's bullsh*t.

BBB info:
(San Diego, CA)
5050 Murphy Canyon, Ste. 110
San Diego, CA 92123
Phone: (858)496-2131
Fax: (858)496-2141
Email: [email protected]

pinkchocolatedaisy

Oh no! I am so sorry that so many ladies are having problems with the site. And I never knew it wasn't secure. Shame on me for not paying attention as I usually do! But I've ordered from them several times since March this year and never had a problem. And I always get my orders fast. Well maybe that's b/c I live right here in San Diego. It took me longer to get my MT but I am still going to stick to MT I believe.

I do hope we get a resolution to this! I have gotten friends and family on to OCT! :yep: