Best (least damaging) curling iron suggestions

AllieCat0817

In high school, I burnt my hair to a crisp with curling irons and learned to minimize heat then. In college I completely quit the curling iron 100% and only did roller sets or wraps. I haven't touched a curling iron since then, aside from the once every 8 week salon visits. In May I started relaxing again after being natural for 5 years. My stylist (who I LOVE LOVE LOVE and I found her based on suggestions on this forum-- www.angieshairstudio.com) listened to my concerns about using direct heat. On my first visit with her she did a roller set which came out BEAUTIFULLY. My 2nd visit the other day I went for a cut/shape (AWESOME awesome job)-- an inverted bob and she wanted to not do a roller set since she was doing a precision cut. I trust her fully so she shampood, conditioned, then combed my hair straight down and put a wrap strip around it to hold it down, sat me under the dryer to get it mostly dry. Then she put heat protectant on it (a significant amount from what I could tell) and blew it dry-- it wasn't that hot, zero sizzlin and smoke etc. I was feeling very comfy letting her use the heat on it. Then she flat ironed it-- still zero sizzle or smoke or smelly funky burnt hair. Then she did the cut, and bumped the ends. She used ceramic appliances. She had a Babyliss ceramic curling iron and now I am considering buying a curling iron. Not for use very often. She indicated that direct heat should ONLY be used on FRESHLY washed hair, never after that until the next wash. So I would follow her advice, and also apply a heat protectant first (I own Sabino Moisture Block and Silk Elements Heat Protectant Spray.. I never liked Chi Silk Infusion). I would alternate using it on weeks that I don't use a roller set and I would not blow dry first (either air dry or dry under dryer hanging straight). That being said...

Please tell me your curling iron suggestions. For those of you that consider yourself to have healthy hair and use a curling iron (I don't want to use a flat iron because I want a good bump and prefer a curling iron), what curling iron would you suggest? Preferrably a ceramic one and I am learning about the nano technology with tourmaline etc. All suggestions welcome please.

I have searched LCF extensively and gotten some good names to look at (I have pretty much narrowed to T3 ceramic and ION ceramic and still thinking about the Babyliss). I've looked at reviews online on makeupalley and Sally and Folica etc. I just wanted input from you ladies. I was telling my stylist how SERIOUS y'all were about hair health so she is checking us out:). I thank God for LCF or else I never would have found this stylist. I think I am going in the Salon Review forum and updating a thread on her salon.

Attached is a pic. You can also see the color from my recent henna/indigo:)

I appreciate your feedback beautiful ladies!!
Allie

Attachments

• BackView120209.jpg
    BackView120209.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I recently bought a curling iron after searching this site for suggestions. I didn't get too many results because most people were using flat-irons. But I ended up buying two. I found a Gold n Hot ceramic something, I forgot the name of it though. I hated it because it didn't seem to even get hot and wouldn't curl my hair. I don't know if it was defective or not because I got it from Marshalls for only $12.99 and I was contemplating returning it. This one had the gold barrell of course.

The second one, which I like, had the silver barrell and I got it from Walmart. It's a Revlon T3 and I think I paid about $22 for it. I'd purchase this one again.

Sorry I can't tell you if it's less damaging than others because I've only used it twice. Of course only on freshly washed hair and with heat protectant. My initial goal was to purchase an iron with a similar surface like a Sedu since I felt safer using that but I couldn't find anything.

Whimsy

I dunno, but I'm actually going to target today to buy a curling iron, so if I find a nice ceramic one i'll try it out and let you know how it goes.

Nice color/cut. Ur purty!

shunemite

I love your bob!
Sally's has the Jilbere ceramic curling iron on sale this month for $24 (usually $30). A lot of people like Jilbere.

blessedandlucky

this isn't a curling iron suggestion, but i hope it will still be helpful. since you have concerns about using direct heat, but still want curls, i'd suggest investing in caruso steam rollers. you'll still get your curls minus the heat. i've used them for the last two years and they've been great. good luck in your search!

and, i agree with the others - supercute bob:)