Best Natural Firm Hold Gel

classychic1908

I'm on a quest to find an all natural water based gel that creates a cast, with hold similar to eco clear. What do you use for the ultimate hold?

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
If I cook my flaxseed gel extra long it gets super thick and I would equate the gel to probably the pink Eco Styler (level 8). I also just use flaxseeds and water in the recipe for a former hold instead of adding oils, aloe vera gel, or other stuff.
Hth!

Edited to add: It works best if you boil the flaxseeds 8-10 minutes on a higher heat, then let it simmer for ~15+ minutes to let more water evaporate. Whatever amount of gel you aim to make, it'll be 20-50% less after the extra cooking

Last edited:

Pygmy_puff

If I cook my flaxseed gel extra long it gets super thick and I would equate the gel to probably the pink Eco Styler (level 8). I also just use flaxseeds and water in the recipe for a former hold instead of adding oils, aloe vera gel, or other stuff.
Hth!
I really want to try the diy flaxseed gel trick, but I'm worried it will go bad before I can use it. How long does your gel last before it goes bad? How do you even tell if it goes bad?

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I've had the same batch of flaxseed gel for over a month.
I've never had my handmade product go bad on me, but like with anything else the smell/color/consistency will go "off" when it goes bad.
I make mine in small, usable batches.
I also:
-keep it in a dispensing bottle (applicator or tilt top) to cut down on cross contamination bacteria
-keep it in the refrigerator
When I'm feeling lazy/fancy, I add optiphen.
I have used a variety of different recipes/consistencies of flaxseed gel, so I pretty much have good results regardless.
Some may say adding preservative to the mixture won't/shouldn't effect its holding power but if you're going for maximum hold, I'd personally recommend leaving it out until you see the difference with/without. I don't see much difference, but my favorite mixtures of flaxseed gel only have a medium to light hold.
I really want to try the diy flaxseed gel trick, but I'm worried it will go bad before I can use it. How long does your gel last before it goes bad? How do you even tell if it goes bad?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hth!

Okay, kitchen mixtress! :up:

How do you make it? What is the exact process? Do you know of a YT video wherein your same process is used?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
OP, have you looked at the ingredients in Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curly Magic? I believe it is sold at Target. It might fit your requirements, I'm not sure. You might try a sample first. I know they sale a sample kit at Target. I wonder if a sample gel is available at their (UFD's) site.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I keep it pretty simple these days. This is a video that I essentially replicate about 90% of the time when I make flaxseed gel.
Boil water, add flaxseeds (I prefer brown to golden purely for smell differences), strain flaxseeds after 8-10 minutes, let cool, transfer to bottle, enjoy. :look:
Main differences:
-I mostly use regular tap or filtered water. Distilled can help with shelf-life, especially if you don't use preservatives or have tap water with a lot of contaminants.
-I use a tilt top or applicator bottle instead of a jar (where most people will dip their hands into, reducing shelf life)
-I like my gels to smell "nice" and am not a fan of tea tree if the scent is meant to linger so I will use more pleasant essential oils or maybe no oils or maybe other oils as well (almond, olive, coconut etc)
I used to be #TeamTooMuch about flaxseed gel, til I realized all the extra steps/ingredients didn't make enough of a difference to my hair.

OP, you could also experiment with adding a thickener to the flaxseed gel (like gelatin, tapioca powder, &/or guar gum)

Okay, kitchen mixtress! :up:

How do you make it? What is the exact process? Do you know of a YT video wherein your same process is used?