bible reading challenge (week one)

AngelicRose07

back from years of hiatus
heres is the schedule for the first week! i guess we can post all of our discussions and inquiries about the literature in this thread. ill start a new thread for each new week b/c i know some discussions can go on for pages.

HAPPY READING :)

May 15
Genesis 1, 2, 3

May 16
Genesis 4, 5, 6

May 17
Genesis 7, 8, 9

May 18
Genesis 10, 11, 12, 13

May 19
Genesis 14, 15, 16, 17

May 20
Genesis 18, 19

May 21
Genesis 20, 21, 22, 23

http://www.theonlineword.com/basicbible/readyear.htm

DelightfulFlame

question... It's been on my mind every since someone else asked this question, and I figured you all might enjoy thinking about it.

In Genesis 1:3-5, God created light on the first day.

In Genesis 1:14-19, God created the sun, moon, stars on the fourth day.

If the sun, moon, etc. didn't come until the fourth day...what light was created on the first day?

B

Bublnbrnsuga

DelightfulFlame said:
question... It's been on my mind every since someone else asked this question, and I figured you all might enjoy thinking about it.

If the sun, moon, etc. didn't come until the fourth day...what light was created on the first day?

Jesus is the light of the world:yep: I will find some scriptures on this..

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
DelightfulFlame said:

Light = Day. He first made Day and Night. I think there really wasn't a distinction between them. So later, God decided to create lights that would divide day from night. But that is a good question. Maybe God himself was the source of light for Day.

DelightfulFlame

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Jesus is the light of the world:yep: I will find some scriptures on this..

That's what I came up with too. Later in scripture Jesus said He was the Light. However, people that equate Jesus with God, the Father have a problem with this view.

DelightfulFlame

Poohbear said:
Light = Day. He first made Day and Night. I think there really wasn't a distinction between them. So later, God decided to create lights that would divide day from night. But that is a good question. Maybe God himself was the source of light for Day.

Go back and read it. In Genesis 1:3-5, God created light and called it day. He separated it from darkness and called it night.

And if God was the light Himself, He created Himself on the first day? I'm confused about what you are saying here.

Last edited:

DelightfulFlame

something else interesting...when God created the earth, that was empty and formless (Genesis 2), it still contained water. There is no mention of God actually creating the water...but it was just there.

----------------

Also, I wonder what the difference is b/w God creating something and making something. They seem the same, but are apparently different (Genesis 2:3). I read that there are two different Hebrew words that were used: create(bara) and make (asah). I don't know Hebrew, so I don't know. But it is interesting. One theory is that bara was used to show something being created from nothing, and asah was used when something was made from something else. But again, I don't know.

Then, it looks as if the words are used interchangeably. Like when male and female were created (Genesis 1:26-27). At one point it says that God made them, and another time it says created.

I dunno. Maybe it's nothing.

-----------------

I always viewed the creation story in Genesis 2 as a more indepth version of the story in Genesis 1. However, I have questions as usual.

Were fowl created from water (Genesis 1:20) or ground (Genesis 2:19)?

In Genesis 1, God seems to have made the animals before Adam. But in Genesis 2, the animals seem to come after Adam.

In Genesis 2:1, it took six days to make the heavens and earth. In Genesis 2:4, it took one.

Last edited:

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
DelightfulFlame said:
something else interesting...when God created the earth, that was empty and formless (Genesis 2), it still contained water. There is no mention of God actually creating the water...but it was just there.

----------------

Also, I wonder what the difference is b/w God creating something and making something. They seem the same, but are apparently different (Genesis 2:3). I read that there are two different Hebrew words that were used: create(bara) and make (asah). I don't know Hebrew, so I don't know. But it is interesting. One theory is that bara was used to show something being created from nothing, and asah was used when something was made from something else. But again, I don't know.

Then, it looks as if the words are used interchangeably. Like when male and female were created (Genesis 1:26-27). At one point it says that God made them, and another time it says created.

I dunno. Maybe it's nothing.

-----------------

I always viewed the creation story in Genesis 2 as a more indepth version of the story in Genesis 1. However, I have questions as usual.

In Genesis 1, God seems to have made the animals before Adam. But in Genesis 2, the animals seem to come after Adam.

In Genesis 2:1, it took six days to make the heavens and earth. In Genesis 2:4, it took one.

There is a debate in chuches among this. Some say when Satan was cast down to earth that he destroyed it and that God was actually recreating it. I used to have a wonderful online resource but the page is not on line anymore. I'm going to search to see if I can find it or a cached page.

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
DelightfulFlame said:
Go back and read it. In Genesis 1:3-5, God created light and called it day. He separated it from darkness and called it night.

And if God was the light Himself, He created Himself on the first day? I'm confused about what you are saying here.

no no no...

you're reading into it a little to deep. Light=day, as Pooh first said. On the first day, God created day/light and night/darkness. Perhaps this is when he set up the 24 hour rotation of the earth...just my theory.

Poohbear

DelightfulFlame said:

i did read it right before I answered your question honey! i just said "Light = Day" in my previous post. And about God being the light...key word "maybe"... i didn't say I was for sure on that. i was answering based on how you asked your question. ;)

ETA: I'm going to hafta agree with Bublnbrnsuga about Jesus being the light on the first day. :yep: ...doesn't mean He is separate from God either...

Last edited:

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
DelightfulFlame said:

----------------

It says "God created the earth." I think it's safe to say that God created the earth--the actual sphere, he created the water w/ it.

hmmm...interesting. What kind of Bible are you studying out of? Translation, I mean. I'd like to understand the Hebrew too.

Created "from"? I don't think God created them from anything, he didn't have to. He just.... created birds as they were....birds. hehehe :lol: I can see how you can confuse it from the second scripture, Genesis 2:19 "the Lord god had formed out of the ground all the beast of the field and all the birds of the air." I'll have to look that up in other translations, but I dont' think it literally means God created animals from dirt or something. The only created being that Genesis specifically mentions was created out of SOMETHING was man (dirt) and woman (the man's rib). I'll have to look that up. Cool observation. To answer your QUESTION ( i got way off :lol:), bird's are definitely not created out of water.

I'm not seeing this contradiction. Genesis 2 mentions animals after talking about Adam, but no where does it say that he created Adam first. It only says that God brought the animals to Adam to see what he'd name them. When he created Adam, the animals had already been created.

I've read these scriptures over, but I still don't see where you're seeing the earth created in one day.

Genesis 2:1 "Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array...v2. By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing...."

Genesis 2:4 "This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created."

good stuff.

Last edited:

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
weaveitup said:
wow! this thread is bringing up a lot of great points that i never took notice to!

for real! Delight's got me workin over here. :lol: Good stuff though...Keeps everybody on our toes.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Alright, I read Gen. 1,2,3 tonight. It's neat how God says something different to you though you may be reading something you've read before. I was totally awed when I read Genesis 3:21 where it talks about God making garments for Adam and Eve after they'd sinned. What grace and provision! This shows me that even when we jack stuff up, He will still make provision for us as we go through the consequences of our sin. Of course, His largest, most awesome provision for our sin was the Saviour! :)

Poohbear

Supergirl said:
Alright, I read Gen. 1,2,3 tonight. It's neat how God says something different to you though you may be reading something you've read before. I was totally awed when I read Genesis 3:21 where it talks about God making garments for Adam and Eve after they'd sinned. What grace and provision! This shows me that even when we jack stuff up, He will still make provision for us as we go through the consequences of our sin. Of course, His largest, most awesome provision for our sin was the Saviour! :)
that's wonderful news indeed! :clap:

DelightfulFlame

JuJuBoo said:
no no no...

you're reading into it a little to deep. Light=day, as Pooh first said. On the first day, God created day/light and night/darkness. Perhaps this is when he set up the 24 hour rotation of the earth...just my theory.

See...what makes this weird to me is that if you take down our sun, moon, and stars in the sky...you will not have light or day. So to me, light/day in the first scriptures must not be actual light.

There are some people that think that Jesus is the Father. They have a problem seeing Jesus as the light in the first set of scriptures. While I see Jesus as being given the power of creation by the Father, I also see Jesus as being created by the Father. So this passage could allude to Jesus being created...since scripture later says that Jesus was here in the beginning.

I analyze everything, so you know I've got questions! My goal is to not believe anything anymore without saying why I believe it. So I question ere-thang! :)

DelightfulFlame

It says "God created the earth." I think it's safe to say that God created the earth--the actual sphere, he created the water w/ it.

yeah, but that's interesting b/c everywhere else things are just spelled out. Like when God created land, it was specifically stated. But water was just there and never specifically called out like land was. Maybe it's nothing...just interesting though.

hmmm...interesting. What kind of Bible are you studying out of? Translation, I mean. I'd like to understand the Hebrew too.

The google bible...lol. I can't read hebrew either, but I did a search for those verses and saw all of the interesting discussions/debates there had already been about these scriptures. Then I skimmed through them and looked for things worth further study. This was one of the things mentioned.

I'm not seeing this contradiction. Genesis 2 mentions animals after talking about Adam, but no where does it say that he created Adam first. It only says that God brought the animals to Adam to see what he'd name them. When he created Adam, the animals had already been created.

I see what you're saying. The scripture kindof sounds like God made Adam and then made the animals, but it doesn't specifically say that. I agree with you.

Genesis 2 (NKJV)
19Out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name. 20So Adam gave names to all cattle, to the birds of the air, and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper comparable to him.

I've read these scriptures over, but I still don't see where you're seeing the earth created in one day.

Genesis 2 (NKJV)
4This is the history[a] of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens, 5before any plant of the field was in the earth and before any herb of the field had grown.

DelightfulFlame

Supergirl said:

That is interesting indeed! Ain't God good?! The word is different for everybody b/c we are all going through different experiences and at different levels of understanding. It's amazing how much that book holds and how it can mean more and more to you the more you read it.

DelightfulFlame

Genesis 1
26Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth." 27So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28Then God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth."
-------------

1) Who is the Us and Our that God made man in the image of?

2) I heard a man say one time that the man a hermaphrodite (sp?) until God separated the woman from him. He lost me with that one...LOL. He was referring to the part of the scripture that says male and female He created them. How would taking a rib out that man's side get him back to being a full man? Oh well, that's why you gotta read for yourself and form your own conclusions. :)

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
Genesis 2 (NKJV)
19Out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name. 20So Adam gave names to all cattle, to the birds of the air, and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper comparable to him.

Hmm, I wonder if God created all the beasts out of dust, as he did with Adam. You COULD assume that from this verse. Interesting, another question for God.

Genesis 2 (NKJV)
4This is the history[a] of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens, 5before any plant of the field was in the earth and before any herb of the field had grown.

ahhh, I see. I was looking out of the NIV. To me is still doesn't say ONE day (24 hours), in context, it refers to the period "in the beginning".

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
DelightfulFlame said:
Genesis 1
26Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth." 27So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28Then God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth."
-------------

A PERFECT verse giving support for the TRINITY! Us=Father, Son, & Holy Spirit.

Sweet C

DelightfulFlame said:
Genesis 1
-------------

2) I heard a man say one time that the man a hermaphrodite (sp?) until God separated the woman from him. He lost me with that one...LOL. He was referring to the part of the scripture that says male and female He created them. How would taking a rib out that man's side get him back to being a full man? Oh well, that's why you gotta read for yourself and form your own conclusions. :)

1) The Us would be the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit.

2) LOL...see this is classic example of how people can confuse themselves by adding stuff the Word doesn't specify. The Word says that he took a rib, and closed up Adam's flesh, and formed woman. It didn't say nothing about Adam being no hermaphrodite and him taking the female organs from Adam.

Honeyhips

Lovely
[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:1 In the beginning God created * the heaven and the earth. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:4 And God saw * the light, that it was good: and God divided * the light from the darkness. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.[/font]

Honeyhips

Lovely
So he created the sun and moon in this verse?:

[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good. [/font]

So we have daylight without sunlight, right?

Honeyhips

Lovely
If man is created here:

2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Who is this:

[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. [/font]

DelightfulFlame

Honeyhips said:
So he created the sun and moon in this verse?:

[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good. [/font]

So we have daylight without sunlight, right?

yep. apparently there was daylight without sunlight. However if the sun was to fall out of the sky right now, I don't think I'd have literal daylight anymore.

Thanks for that Hebrew translation link!

DelightfulFlame

Honeyhips said:
If man is created here:

2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Who is this:

[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. [/font]

The most common view is that Genesis 1 was like an overview and Genesis 2 contained the details. But I dunno yet...still thinking it over.

DelightfulFlame

JuJuBoo said:
A PERFECT verse giving support for the TRINITY! Us=Father, Son, & Holy Spirit.

I still don't get the Trinity. First there was God, the Source. God created Jesus. Jesus created the rest of the world. I don't see how they are all the same one being...but that's a cat we've already beat to death...LOL.

Sweet C

DelightfulFlame said:
I still don't get the Trinity. First there was God, the Source. God created Jesus. Jesus created the rest of the world. I don't see how they are all the same one being...but that's a cat we've already beat to death...LOL.

Quick question: Where does it say that God (assuming you are refering to the father) created Jesus?