bible reading challenge (week one)

DelightfulFlame

Sweet C said:
Quick question: Where does it say that God (assuming you are refering to the father) created Jesus?

I'll have to gather my scriptures on it. If you can find that Trinity thread, I'm sure it was all through there.

AngelicRose07

back from years of hiatus
Sweet C said:
1) The Us would be the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit.

2) LOL...see this is classic example of how people can confuse themselves by adding stuff the Word doesn't specify. The Word says that he took a rib, and closed up Adam's flesh, and formed woman. It didn't say nothing about Adam being no hermaphrodite and him taking the female organs from Adam.

wow! People really think that?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
DelightfulFlame said:
See...what makes this weird to me is that if you take down our sun, moon, and stars in the sky...you will not have light or day. So to me, light/day in the first scriptures must not be actual light.

There are some people that think that Jesus is the Father. They have a problem seeing Jesus as the light in the first set of scriptures. While I see Jesus as being given the power of creation by the Father, I also see Jesus as being created by the Father. So this passage could allude to Jesus being created...since scripture later says that Jesus was here in the beginning.

I analyze everything, so you know I've got questions! My goal is to not believe anything anymore without saying why I believe it. So I question ere-thang! :)
Jesus is God. God is the Father & Creator. Jesus is the Son.

Sweet C

DelightfulFlame said:
Here's the Trinity thread here: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=53527&highlight=Trinity

It does relate in that if you believe that God, the source of all, created Jesus...then the first part of Genesis may have been referring to Jesus (aka the light) being created. The Trinity thread has lots of scriptures about Jesus, God, the Holy Spirit and their relationships.

Anyhow, there it is. Form your own conclusions.

Ok, I checked that thread. I am still a bit confused with this part b/c there is no scripture in that thread that says that God (assuming the Father once again) created Jesus.

DelightfulFlame

I Cor 8 (KJV)
4As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
5For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
6But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are ALL things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

John 16
27For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.
28I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.

Colossians 1
12Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
13Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
14In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
15Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
16For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

17And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
18And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
19For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;

1 Timothy 2
5For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

John 14
28Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

Sweet C

Ok, I read these and they don't to me denote that the God (the Father) created Jesus.

For example, 1 Cor 8, the two prepositions of and by denote the exact same thing. The from in the next verse indicates who sent him (the Father) not that the Father made him.

I guess to me when the bible talks about the Father in reference to the Jesus (the Son), it talks a lot about how the Father gave and sent Jesus. But that doesn't mean the Father made him, b/c Jesus was there in the beginning (john 1:1,14)

Poohbear

Sweet C said:
it talks a lot about how the Father gave and sent Jesus. But that doesn't mean the Father made him, b/c Jesus was there in the beginning (john 1:1,14)
EXACTLY!!!! :up:

DelightfulFlame

to each his own...

Being here in the beginning doesn't mean that you are the beginning.

How is God, the Father the firstborn...if God was never born?

Honeyhips

Lovely
There are going to be some things that we just are not going to know, and other things God will reveal to us in his time. I have to find this scripture. It will take me a minute.

But he is GOd, he is the creator. He is everything. He didn't need to be born. He is sovereign. I've asked a similiar question. Why is God God, and not someoen else? Who appointed him? Why is he in charge? Then I looked up the definition of sovereign. That helped me.

[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]John 1 [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:2 The same was in the beginning with God. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. [/font]
DelightfulFlame said:
to each his own...

Being here in the beginning doesn't mean that you are the beginning.

How is God, the Father the firstborn...if God was never born?

Last edited:

DelightfulFlame

I've seen that scripture. It still doesn't clear it up for me. Of course Jesus is God. As God's son, I don't expect Him to be a mongoose. But is Jesus the Father?

Yes, scripture says that Jesus said that He and the Father are one...but one what? It doesn't say.

Scripture also says that Jesus goes to the Father, and that the Father is greater, and that the Father gave Jesus everything that He has. No where does it say that Jesus gave the Father anything.

This is what I have a problem with. To me, Jesus and the Father are not the same. They are not interchangeable.

Again, to each his own. But I just don't see it. But we've gone through this already in the Trinity thread. I leave it alone here.

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
Honeyhips said:
There are going to be some things that we just are not going to know, and other things God will reveal to us in his time. I have to find this scripture. It will take me a minute.

But he is GOd, he is the creator. He is everything. He didn't need to be born. He is sovereign. I've asked a similiar question. Why is God God, and not someoen else? Who appointed him? Why is he in charge? Then I looked up the definition of sovereign. That helped me.

[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]John 1 [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:2 The same was in the beginning with God. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. [/font]

YES! AMEN AMEN! This is going in cirles (like the Trinity thread.)

Yall, the best way to gain understanding about the Trinity is to PRAY about it. Trying to logically explain it AIN'T gonna happen and you will NOT understand it by drawing conclusions through LOGIC. It's a supernatural, DIVINE matter. PRAY about it. It's like saying "How'd Jesus rise from the dead? Dead can't rise." "Well he's supernatural, he's the Messiah..." "Well how? How did he rise?" .....that's what debate feels like to me. :lol: It keeps going in circles.....yall need to pray for understanding and let it rest.

DelightfulFlame

I disagree. I learn lots by talking to other folks and through logic. If logic wasn't necessary for something, we wouldn't have it. I never know how God will reveal something to me. A lots of folks were praying for a Messiah, and didn't even pay any attention to Jesus. A lot of folks are still praying for a Messiah.

My point is that God uses different methods to show us things. I pray, yes. But I do not put God in a box...as if God can only help me through prayer. If discussing wasn't necessary, we wouldn't be able to. Some people pray, but don't read their bible. Well, if God wants you to get the answer from that bible, you can pray until you are blue in the face...but you won't get that answer until you read that bible. Some people only listen to their pastor...well you can sit in that church pew until your butt gets numb, but if God gave the answer to someone else...you ain't gonna get it until you talk to them.

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
DelightfulFlame said:
My point is that God uses different methods to show us things. I pray, yes. But I do not put God in a box...as if God can only help me through prayer.

If you don't put God in a box, then how is "God, three persons in one, Father, Son, & Holy Spirit" so impossible? It seems as though the only reason why this conversation is still going IS because everyone's putting God IN a box, and trying to make everything logically sensible. God is SUPERNATURAL! SUPERNATURAL doesn't make SENSE! :lol:

All I'm trying to say is that God's understanding is WAY WAY WAY beyond our understanding...that's what I mean when I say being logical is not going to answer all questions. Some things can only be understood through prayer--and sometimes not even FULLY understood, but you'll atleast have a PEACE about it. I'll admit, I do not have a full understanding of the Trinity, but I know God is Sovereign, the Word says what it says, and that's the end of it.

Job 37:5
God's voice thunders in marvelous ways; he does great things beyond our understanding.

Please understand, I'm not attacking you or anyone else that has questions/doubts/concerns about the Trinity. I'm only encouraging folks not analyze EVERYTHING. God's wisdom is so far beyond ours, that sometimes the only way to understand Him is through PRAYER-which is simply communication with Him. Your right, prayer is not the only way God speaks and reveals things, but it IS a way to discern things when everything in the natural is confused--including our silly little brains. ;)

Poohbear

DelightfulFlame said:
I've seen that scripture. It still doesn't clear it up for me. Of course Jesus is God. As God's son, I don't expect Him to be a mongoose. But is Jesus the Father?

Yes, scripture says that Jesus said that He and the Father are one...but one what? It doesn't say.

Scripture also says that Jesus goes to the Father, and that the Father is greater, and that the Father gave Jesus everything that He has. No where does it say that Jesus gave the Father anything.

This is what I have a problem with. To me, Jesus and the Father are not the same. They are not interchangeable.

Again, to each his own. But I just don't see it. But we've gone through this already in the Trinity thread. I leave it alone here.
God is the Father.
Jesus is the Son.
They are not the same per se, they are one in essence/nature. That's how we come to the conclusion of trinity... God the Father, the Son (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit.
It's very hard to understand. It's ALL about having FAITH. It's hard for me to grasp the concept but I believe in it since the Bible reveals this in several scriptures.

Honeyhips

Lovely
Or just know that there are things we can't comprehend. We just have to trust God.

I also just read a scripture that said God keeps things hidden and he wants us to seek out his word. So as long as someone is doing that they'll get their answers.

Plus the Holy Spirit reveals the scriptures to us. Not logic. I agree with you on that. There is nothing logical about The Virign Mary, or the trinity.
JuJuBoo said:
If you don't put God in a box, then how is "God, three persons in one, Father, Son, & Holy Spirit" so impossible? It seems as though the only reason why this conversation is still going IS because everyone's putting God IN a box, and trying to make everything logically sensible. God is SUPERNATURAL! SUPERNATURAL doesn't make SENSE! :lol:

All I'm trying to say is that God's understanding is WAY WAY WAY beyond our understanding...that's what I mean when I say being logical is not going to answer all questions. Some things can only be understood through prayer--and sometimes not even FULLY understood, but you'll atleast have a PEACE about it. I'll admit, I do not have a full understanding of the Trinity, but I know God is Sovereign, the Word says what it says, and that's the end of it.

God's voice thunders in marvelous ways; he does great things beyond our understanding.

Please understand, I'm not attacking you or anyone else that has questions/doubts/concerns about the Trinity. I'm only encouraging folks not analyze EVERYTHING. God's wisdom is so far beyond ours, that sometimes the only way to understand Him is through PRAYER-which is simply communication with Him. Your right, prayer is not the only way God speaks and reveals things, but it IS a way to discern things when everything in the natural is confused--including our silly little brains. ;)

DelightfulFlame

JuJuBoo said:

I have peace. I know that there are lots of things that I know that I don't know. There are also lots of things that I don't know that I don't know. I am at peace with that.

Being at peace does not mean stop seeking to me. I analyze things b/c that's the personality that God gave me. Apparently it's the one that He wants me to have.

1 Thess 5
21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

Jeremiah 29
11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
12 Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you.
13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Psalm 14
2 The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.

Proverbs 2
1 My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;
2 So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;
3 Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
4 If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
5 Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.
6 For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

AngelicRose07

back from years of hiatus
11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, all the fountains of the great deep came bursting through, and the windows of heaven were open;

ive always wondered why people lived to be so old back then, could someone explaini to to me? ive sprt of been led to believe that years were a lot shorter then and the calenders were different and stuff...

Sweet C

DelightfulFlame said:

Ok, let's look at the Greek. One (en) means one in essence or nature. Thats what the one means when Jesus says I and my Father are one.

The rlp with Jesus and the Father goes back to the different roles that they play in accordance with the trinity (but we are not going to go to that b/c that horse has been beaten, dragged, and tied down...LOL)

Poohbear

Sweet C said:
Ok, let's look at the Greek. One (en) means one in essence or nature. Thats what the one means when Jesus says I and my Father are one.

The rlp with Jesus and the Father goes back to the different roles that they play in accordance with the trinity (but we are not going to go to that b/c that horse has been beaten, dragged, and tied down...LOL)
I just told her that (what I put in bold) on page 5, but she disagrees.

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
weaveitup said:
11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, all the fountains of the great deep came bursting through, and the windows of heaven were open;

ive always wondered why people lived to be so old back then, could someone explaini to to me? ive sprt of been led to believe that years were a lot shorter then and the calenders were different and stuff...

hey girl. There's actually scientific evidence stating how humans could have lived that long. One supported theory is that the years before the flood, the earth had a layer of water or mist surrounding it, causing a green house effect. The green house effect wouldn't only double the oxegen in the air, but it would block ultra-violet rays from the sun which cause us to age. It's believed that at the time of the flood, this layer of water above the heavens fell and the water underneath the earth's crust bursted open.

Ever heard of "plate techtonics?" Personally, I believe those chasm on the ocean sea beds have NOTHING to do with continents moving. It's supported that some tmie in history, water bursted out from these chasm---that theory is supported by the very verse you quoted. "the fountains of the great deep came bursting forth." It's understand that not NEARLY enough rain could have fell to flood the earth, hence water from underneath came from somewhere.

there's a whole lot more about what the Garden of Eden was like, the years before the flood, how people lived so long, the bible and dinosaurs at www.drdino.com. I have all his DVDs. Good stuff.

cece22

weaveitup said:

Sorry Weave but as you may know that the Bible opens up a flood gate of knowledge. Have fun and be sure to look up some of the scriptures. Also did you notice where God cut the life span to 120 years at Genesis 6:3"Then the L[size=-2]ORD said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years."[/size]

It was God’s original purpose that man should live forever. Being perfect, the first man Adam had the opportunity to enjoy a span of life that would never end, subject to obedience to God. (Ge 2:15-17) However, because of disobedience, Adam forfeited that opportunity, and from him all the human race inherited sin and death.—Ro 5:12.​

During​
the Patriarchal Period. During the pre-Flood period, the life span approached a thousand years. (Ge 5:5-29) The people closer to man’s original perfection enjoyed greater longevity than those farther removed from it. The longest life on record is that of Methuselah, who lived 969 years. After the Flood, the human life span dropped rapidly.
Some have theorized that the year in the times before the Flood was just a month long. However, there is no Scriptural basis for this view. Had the year been a 30-day month, this would mean that Enosh would have become a father before he was eight years old, and others, such as Kenan, Mahalalel, Jared, and Enoch, would have fathered children before they were six years old. (Ge 5:9, 12, 15, 18, 21) A comparison of Genesis 7:11 with Genesis 8:3, 4 shows that 150 days amounted to five months. The fact that the Bible also mentions the 10th month and, subsequently, one 40-day period and at least two 7-day time periods as passing during this year, indicates the year was 12 months long.—Ge 8:5, 6, 10, 12-14.

Since​
Moses’ Time. About 3,500 years ago Moses wrote concerning the life span: "In themselves the days of our years are seventy years; and if because of special mightiness they are eighty years, yet their insistence is on trouble and hurtful things." (Ps 90:10) The situation in this regard has not changed substantially.

Throughout the centuries, man’s efforts to extend his life span have been unsuccessful. However, in many lands life expectancy has increased. Hence, James Fries and Lawrence Crapo noted: "The average length of life in the United States has increased from approximately 47 years at the turn of the century to over 73 years today, an increase of more than 25 years. . . . A critical look at these data, however, shows that the increase in life expectancy results from the elimination of premature death rather than by extension of the natural life span."—Vitality and Aging, 1981, pp. 74, 75.

Almost 2,000 years ago Jesus Christ stated that nobody "can add a cubit to his life span." (Lu 12:25) However, Jesus also said: "The things impossible with men are possible with God." (Lu 18:27) Through the prophet Isaiah, God had foretold: "Like the days of a tree will the days of my people be." (Isa 65:22) And in Isaiah 25:8 it was foretold that God "will actually swallow up death forever, and the Sovereign Lord will certainly wipe the tears from all faces." This promise was repeated in the last book of the Bible: "And [God] will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore."—Re 21:4.

LENGTHS OF LIFE OF THE PATRIARCHS
Name Genesis Length of Life

Adam 5:5 930​

Seth 5:8 912​

Enosh 5:11 905​

Kenan 5:14 910​

Mahalalel 5:17 895​

Jared 5:20 962​

Enoch 5:23 365​

Methuselah 5:27 969​

Lamech 5:31 777​

Noah 9:29 950​