Black hair care products vs white

washize

I know the title is politically incorrect :rolleyes: But anyways, I was at wal-mart today looking at the black hair section, and I saw alot of products that LOOKED good, but when I read the ingredents I went from this :yep: to :nono:. When I went to the white hair care isle and saw products that made me :yep: The ingredents had 1-2 bad ingredents compared to the 15 bad ingredents in black hair care products.

I don't use or buy many products any more, but, because of this, I haven't bought any black hair care products since I started my hair journey.

Have any of you noticed a decrese in purchases when it comes to black hair care products?

shtow

My hair doesn't like a lot of "black" or "white" products. It's very stuck up!!! My hair likes "neutral" products like Yes To Carrots, Aphogee, etc. The only "white" line that my hair really liked was Paul Mitchell and the "black" one was ORS. But for the most part, my hair likes stuff that is not marketed to a certain race.

washize

My hair doesn't like a lot of "black" or "white" products. It's very stuck up!!! My hair likes "neutral" products like Yes To Carrots, Aphogee, etc. The only "white" line that my hair really liked was Paul Mitchell and the "black" one was ORS. But for the most part, my hair likes stuff that is not marketed to a certain race.

lol your hair is a noncomformist! :lachen:

melissa-bee

Using black hair products is where i went wrong in the first place. Well i'm transitioning now so i'm looking forward to see how my natural hair is gonna react using the things my natural hair has never felt.

PPGbubbles

Im always on the "wrong" side of the haircare isle at walmart. I suppose the only "black" product I use is LeKair Cholesterol...just found out bout that one....Its my low budget wonder 4 detangling.

But my hair is a sell out....its responds better to "White Products" Like Aussie moist and aussie deep... Dunno what race Aphogee is but my hair likes there stuff too.

Prinncipality

I noticed that when I'm looking to purchase styling products I lean more towards "black products." Everything else is I use is probably considered "white products." :rolleyes:

Songbirdb

Aussie moist 3 minute Miracle is my hair life saver! I like "white" products because they smell good! Most of the things in the "ethnic" section don't have a pleasant smell...where as Aussie and Herbal Essences and so on smell delicious!

FluffyRed

i think it stems from, or is related to the fact that black stylists are selling styles. yt stylists have to provide care for hair health.

two different types of customer (as far as the professionals know)

we aren't on their radar, imo

Last edited:

ceebee3

I don't have an issue with any product that makes my hair feel good and that is generally good for my hair.

It just so happens that most of those products are not marketed to me. The spelling and packaging on black hair care products stops me from picking it up off the shelf.

Why do we have to get all the weird colors, labels and logos?:wallbash:

That's one book I always judge by the cover.

krissyprissy

I could care less about these "white" and "black" labels. I use what agrees with my hair. Shoot as a matter of fact, I used some Africa's Best carrot creme which contains no mineral oil or petroleum and some vatika oil to seal before bunning tonight. It's all about proper balance.

BlackMasterPiece

We should refrain from generalizing. Karen's Body Beautiful is a Black Product, Miss Jessie's is a Black Product, HydraThermals is a Black Product, Oyin Handmade created by this woman. All these lines make products devoid of mineral oil, petrolatum and keep it 100% organic.

Its important that we make the distinction between commercial products geared toward Blacks (but rarely owned by Blacks) and organic products created by Brotha's and sista's that are outstanding for our hair.

krissyprissy

We should refrain from generalizing. Karen's Body Beautiful is a Black Product, Miss Jessie's is a Black Product, HydraThermals is a Black Product, Oyin Handmade created by this woman. All these lines make products devoid of mineral oil, petrolatum and keep it 100% organic.

Its important that we make the distinction between commercial products geared toward Blacks (but rarely owned by Blacks) and organic products created by Brotha's and sista's that are outstanding for our hair.

I completly agree

30something

Black products just cant compete with mainstream products, probably because there is sooooooooo much more mainstream/white products. You have to go to a good Beauty supplies store to even find the good black hair care stuff, you can find the mainstream every where.

As for ingredients most black hair care products fall short, but I know the white brands or the mainstream bands are usually a part of huge companies that have a lot of money to spend on product development. Like Herbal essence, Pantene and Aussie is all own by the same company.... yeah i know .... Guess thats why HE HH and Aussie Moist smell a like....

I use "white products" they have better ingredients (not all the time), and easy to find. And I can't stand Dr. Miracles and cheap gimmicky products like that! even the boxes look dry!! I can't touch that mess...

Last edited:

BGT

I use Pantene, Garnier, Nexxus, L'Oreal, Aussie, VO5, and Neutrogena. The only black product I'm using is original CON shampoo.

Black products just cant compete with mainstream products, probably because there is sooooooooo much more mainstream/white products. You have to go to a good Beauty supplies store to even find the good black hair care stuff, you can find the mainstream every where.

As for ingredients most black hair care products fall short, but I know the white brands or the mainstream bands are usually a part of huge companies that have a lot of money to spend on product development. Like Herbal essence, Pantene and Aussie is all own by the same company.... yeah i know .... Guess thats why HE HH and Aussie Moist smell a like....

I use "white products" they have better ingredients (not all the time), and easy to find. And I can't stand Dr. Miracles and cheap gimmicky products like that! even the boxes look dry!! I can't touch that mess...

Those same companies own some of those same products found in the "ethnic hair care" isle. When I started doing my own hair I just never gravitated to those products. I never knew anybody who used those products that had beautiful healthy hair.

Crystalicequeen123

I'm kind of picky when it comes to which products I use on my hair and which ones I don't.

Before joining the LHCF and reading about hair care, I ONLY bought traditional "black hair care products". However, after reading the boards, doing more research on hair in general, and reading books about black hair specifically, I tried other products....ones that in the past I would have considered "white products" that I would never use on my hair.

Guess what? My hair LOVED some of those "white products", and it didn't like others!! So, I usually look at the ingredients, and go with what makes my hair look and feel good, as opposed to simply choosing white/black products.

I know one thing though, my hair definitely knows it doesn't like certain products geared towards AA hair care like Pink Hair lotion :barf:, and Blue hair grease in a jar :nono: .
I also hated Motions. :(

But my hair loves Keracare and ORS, (which is geared towards black hair), however it also likes the NExxus line, Paul Mitchel, some Herbal Essence, and Neutrogena. It all depends. I sometimes use different brands for different products.

I guess you just have to pay attention to your hair to figure out what it likes. :yep:

yardgirl

I have a mix. My stylist uses products from the Keracare, Affirm, Redken and Design Essentials lines. All the clients I've seen in his salon have lovely, healthy hair. I think you just have to find individuals products that work for you regardless of what race it is marketed to.

Kerryann

oh what the heck i use white and black whatever makes my hair feels good but im not going to lie i use more white than black prtoducts

30something

I think at least Dr miracle's, Luster Pink and softsheen are own by them selves.. i don't know about the rest

mzsophisticated26

I have a mix. My stylist uses products from the Keracare, Affirm, Redken and Design Essentials lines. All the clients I've seen in his salon have lovely, healthy hair. I think you just have to find individuals products that work for you regardless of what race it is marketed to.

yep the same for me I use both. My stylist uses Mizani, Affirm, Paul Mitchell, Nioxin, Sebastian, Kenra, Joico

Beaute Noire

hmm...I like one or two things from Carol's Daughter and Miss Jessies although I'll use anything from Aussie without *blinking*...same for Aphogee. But Proclaim's Coconut Oil is one of my staples so Idk I guess I'm a mix. There is a huge distinction between "black" products and products mass-marketed to blacks.

I agree with the ladies who said they use whatever their hair likes although I do have more "white" products in my stash :blush::blush:

Mizz Diamonds

I have more "white products" then "black" ones the only black product I have is Profectiv because my hair just loves it.
The most commerical products that are marketed to black people are just not all that whilst the ones that are black owned, have nice ingredients and all the Carol's Daughter, Miss jessie and them are much better.

MummysGirl

My cowash cons are all "white products"... Aussie Moist, Herbal Essences, Suave... I use Herbal Essences Hydralicious as part of my moisturising spritz... the only "black products" I use are ORS Replenishing Conditioner, Lustrasilk shea butter Cholesterol and Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor, I like all 3 of them :yep:

Crystalicequeen123

Sometimes I think some of those Black Hair care line does more harm than good.

I've actually read in some black hair care books that it might be best to use some white hair products (or at least compare the ingredients on the bottle) instead of black products simply because white products are usually from white companies, and have not only been around longer, but also have the money and funding to do a lot of research and experiements on what is best for the hair.

Whereas some black hair products (especially the ones that promise you "3 inches of hair growth in 1 month!") are only on the market so that they can target unknowing black customers and promise them outlandish hair results so that they will spend load of money on products promising a "hair dream". Almost like a "miracle in a bottle". :nono: A lot of times the ingredients aren't even that great. :( OR, they are so far down the long list of ingredients, that you can barely reap the benefits from them.