BLACK HAIR CARE VS. WHITE HAIR CARE - which do YOU prefer?

How does your hair respond to black vs. white products?

• "White" products work for me i.e. Nexxus

Votes: 100 26.4%
  • "Black" prodcuts work best for me

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • I can use both

Votes: 255 67.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Curlee_lurker

LA face/low class booty
Other than oils, I use white products and I have for years. I have an oily scalp with dry hair, therefore I wash and condition often. My roots are straight for about an inch and then transitions to curls, so if I don't wash often enough it's not cute, slicked down roots and huge curly/frizzy mass.

Tenacious

I guess I can say that I use products that are marketed towards white consumers moreso than black products. White products are simpler and cleaner. Black products have waaayy too many ingredients for me that don't do anything except make the hair more manageable and, in turn, contribute to build-up and clogged hair follicles. (Not to mention years of using Pink Lotion and Grease that destroyed my hair). I know I need moisture, but not gunky, slimy hair!

I guess I lean towards the white hair products because I've always felt that doing what white women did would give me long hair like theirs. Who knew that what white women did every day (Shampoo, condition and go) would solve my own hair growth problems. And besides... they're not the ones having hair growing problems like many black women have had in the past. So that solved the equation for me.

Also, some white women are benefiting from our hair products too. One girl I met used grease on her ends and washed her hair/scalp daily and got cornrows every so often. Her hair grew out and reached her waist.

Tenacious

I guess I can say this: I use white products with black concepts. Like, I shampoo with LTR conditioner daily, I put a Infusium on my ends, and seal it up with vaseline and baggie. Thats my regime in a nutshell. Now that I think about it, I really don't use any black products anymore.....mmmmm....

jada1111

I prefer caucasian based products for my coily/curly hair for washing, conditioning and gel styling, because they're just better.

I only use two black products (CD Healthy Hair Butter & CD Mimosa Hair Honey) at this time for regular styling and sheen. I also like Sta Sof Fro gel lotion to put on dry puffs for sheen softness.

I find that gels geared for "black" hair is severely lacking in some things. I like Elasta QP Feels Like Silk though. Don't use it that often, but it doesn't leave my hair stiff.

The stuff for bi-racial curlies does NOT work for MY afro-textured hair. I get extreme shrinkage and frizz.

bravenewgirl87

I wrote about this a little white back. THere's a much deeper connection between the two categories; deeper than most know. THey are essentially the same.
White hair products VS. Black Hair products...Whats the connection?

When we think of L'Oreal, we imagine shimmering blonds, radiant redheads, and brilliant brunettes. White women have always been viewed as the image of sheer perfection in the beauty world. Photos of smiling alabaster ladies have always graced the faces of the most recognizable lines of hair products. Often, women of color tend to discredit these same popular brands--assuming that because they are marketing to whites, they cannot possible help black hair. On the contrary! Most of the black hair industry is owned by whites, and ethnic companies have been purchased by larger hair conglomerates. Here's a breakdown of the little- known connection between major brands and ethnic hair care.

Did you know that Kenra LTD. actually owns and manufactures Elasta QP...
and Elucence brands?

Did you know that L'Oreal manufactures Mizani and owns...

and Soft Sheen/Carson?

Or, that Proline was purchased by the same folks that own Alberto V05?

Some might argue that the takeover of the black beauty industry by whites is a strategic acquisition to remove money from our communities and put it into their pockets. That argument is completely irrelevant to me or this topic. I wanted to show you that you shouldn't limit your product choices simply because theirs a white face on the front. You never know! They same ingredients in Mizani could also be in L'Oreal professional line. Think outside of the box when it comes to your hair.

hothair

Well - based on your description I'd have to say I use products marketed for white hair more- but I do use Braid spray and hair gel marketed for black hair...so I voted for whatever works

Desert Skye

I use white and Dominican products. The "black" products at CVS or Walgreens always make my hair limp and greasy though I am fond of Keracare and Mizani.

1QTPie

Elder Sim
Aren't they all white products?

I use mostly "white" products and have black marketed products thrown in as back ups.

Paris Belle

I've never thought about it terms of white vs. black hair care products. I use whatever works for my hair. The main thing I need is moisture and so I look for that in whatever product I use.

Ironically, I used to think that the higher end products, black or white, were the best and would try to buy those or find cheaper alternatives but with the same ingredients.

These days, I rely on my cheap conditioners (VO5 and Suave) for moisture as much as I do my higher end shampoos and conditioners. I also like to mix conditioners and to make my own moisturizers now; so it's definitely no longer about high end/low end or white/black products anymore. It's all about what works in my hair.

Tenacious

Recently, I've found that doing things that women of other races do helps with my hair as well...

Don't be shocked, but I shampoo my hair every 2-3 days now... I condition, rinse & detangle and wash n go.... I found another friend, whose hair is full bsl, who said that the same works for her. She and I share the same hair type.

I just feel that I'm more on the technique that other races do. The products, in my opinion, dont really matter that much.

NYLegalNewbie

"Black" "White"...doesn't matter. I just use whatever works for my hair.

Right now, I am using a combo of so-called "Black" and "White" hair care products.

I use Aubrey Organics conditioners.

But I also use Aphogee (2 Min Treatment), Cream of Nature (Green bottle), and Jane Carter Moisturizer.

All of them combined have created fabulous hair :grin:

ravenmerlita

Recently, I've found that doing things that women of other races do helps with my hair as well...

Don't be shocked, but I shampoo my hair every 2-3 days now... I condition, rinse & detangle and wash n go.... I found another friend, whose hair is full bsl, who said that the same works for her. She and I share the same hair type.

I just feel that I'm more on the technique that other races do. The products, in my opinion, dont really matter that much.

ITA with the techniques. I shampoo and condition frequently and it works best for me. Because washing more keeps my hair moisturized, I don't need to do frequent moisturizing, bunning or baggying.

In addition to the techniques, I do tend to use more products marketed toward white consumers. This is mostly because there is a lot more variety and options even within the same brand lines. I need a shampoo and conditioner and other products for fine/thin, fragile and dry hair. I haven't seen many products marketed toward us that are for fine hair or are volumizing/thickening.

loved

Before this board, I tended to lean towards black products. Whether it's considered white or black, I prefer a product that I can find easily at a good price.

I didn't even know that anyone made hair cremes for white hair, so I was surprised to find the Sunsilk Hydra, & Garnier hair cremes. Knowing that I can get a lot of the same benefits from white products, I now prefer a lot of them because the prices/deals are usually better. They are advertised in Sunday circulars with coupons and it's easier to find a CVS ECB deal on a white product.

Who knew that I could have traded in my pink oil long ago:grin:?

silvergirl

ppl tell me i treat my hair like its "white"

i just treat it how it likes to be treated.

i do use paul mitchell, nexxus, nioxin, tressemme, joico, matrix etc. i do wash my hair everyday (omg?!?!).

if ppl want to think thats "white" hair care then let them. its working for me :)

bellebebe

I don't think I've ever actually used a "Black" hair care product. I can use both.. Hell! it's for hair isn't it? lol. As long as it takes care of my hair needs.

Cinda2503

I use a mix of products. I use to manage Sally Beauty Supply for 4 years and I would point out products to black customers in the "white section" and products in the "ethnic section" to white customers. Most of the time I would get asked is this product for me and I would tell my customers that for the most part hair and hair - use whatever's going to work. I had a lot of converts!:yep::yep::yep::yep:

pinkchocolatedaisy

I used to think I had to use the "black" products but until recently, there wasn't much variety in products for us. I use either. My daughter is half black and half Mexican. We use both on her hair. I use Garnier Fructis shampoo and conditioner. I love it. I've also used Aussie, which is really good and Pantene. For styling, I tend to use "black" products like Dr Miracles and now ORS.

DMCSHERIFF

I FIND THAT DOMINICAN PRODUCTS WORK THE BEST, WOULD THAT BE CONSIDERED BLACK PRODUCTS? THEIR PRODUCTS ARE CREAMIER AND HEAVIER.

HoneyDew

I use all kinds of they are good.

Right now I am on the Activate tip which is marketed to Hispanic women. I love the shampoo, conditioner and mask from that line - sulfate and cone free! :love:

I use Qhemet Biologics leave-in and moisturizers all day and everyday! Never changing those! :love: These are definitly for us! :yep:

I never change my clarifying shampoo from Kenra which I think is marketed to anyone.

But, now that I am sulfate free (except my Clarifier) and only use 100% cone free conditionersm moisturizers and leave-ins, I take what I can get because the choices are slim compared to what readily available.

Sensaria shampoos and conditioners, as well as Giovanni are not "black" products it seems, but I can use those (all sulfate and cone free)

Going to a "black" BSS does not give me many options. Going to the drugstore does not give me many options either. :look:

gymfreak336

I use all kinds of they are good.

Right now I am on the Activate tip which is marketed to Hispanic women. I love the shampoo, conditioner and mask from that line - sulfate and cone free! :love:

I use Qhemet Biologics leave-in and moisturizers all day and everyday! Never changing those! :love: These are definitly for us! :yep:

I never change my clarifying shampoo from Kenra which I think is marketed to anyone.

But, now that I am sulfate free (except my Clarifier) and only use 100% cone free conditionersm moisturizers and leave-ins, I take what I can get because the choices are slim compared to what readily available.

Sensaria shampoos and conditioners, as well as Giovanni are not "black" products it seems, but I can use those (all sulfate and cone free)

Going to a "black" BSS does not give me many options. Going to the drugstore does not give me many options either. :look:

*Team Activate* :lol:

To the OP

I have been on this journey for about 3 years now. I have had every setback you can think of and I have tried just about every product on the market. In my experience the products that are more consistent for me and give me instant and cumlative results have been the "white" products. I hate saying white products because everyone can use them just like some white women use "black" products. Regardless of pricepoint I would say that at the end of the day its using quality products that count. I just have happened to find more quality products at trade secrets and ulta.

Also many of these "white" brands were really designed to be used on all types of hair.

Debbie Lynn

I use both..the Nexxus line is my staple. Before I came to lhcf I thought black women could only use products made for our hair..but I found out it's best to use quality products with good ingredients..

blasiancurlie

i'm not trying to knock "black" products because there are some great ones out there, but i notice that ALMOST ALL of them (well at least the ones found in CVS, Rite Aid, Walmart, & Sally's) are loaded with petrolatum and mineral oil! so i really get frustrated trying to find ones that don't have these ingredients. i end up just sticking to joico, nexxus, etc. by default since it's so much easier to find "healthier" ingredients in these.

Vashti

Because my hair is natural and not straightened right now I prefer black hair products along with natural ingredients I have in my cupboards and fridge. These are what work best for my hair. I've tried using white hair care products in the past and my hair was always very dry and did not thrive.

When I decide to flat iron my hair in the future I may add white hair care products that work well and won't dry my hair out.

southerncitygirl

neither...i like natural hair products that work on a variety of textures ao, kbb, komaza care and afroveda are my go to products and could easily be used on all hair black or white.

BostonMaria

My hair responds to products that have good ingredients. When I think Black hair care I think Afroveda, Hairveda, KBB, Curls, etc... and my hair loves those products. Anything from CVS or the BSS are made in China so I guess I can't call them black hair care LOL As far as white, I guess I would have to figure out what brands you're talking about. AOHR works great on me (is that white?) and Joiko makes my hair look nasty.

Oh and I also use Dominican products and Indian powders. I also love Cowgirl products (stuff for horses LMAO) :lachen:

NaturalBoss

I use whatever works. But if I want to go cheap, I think the so-called white products are better. I like HE Hello Hydration and I LOVE Aussie Moist 3-Minute Miracle!!!!

MonPetite

"White" products do well on my hair relaxed, texlaxed and natural. "Black" products of poor quality are or no use to me. Quality Black products perform as well as "White" ones but, tend to be more expensive. While natural, however, very few "White" styling products fit the bill -shampoos and conditioners were not an issue. When it comes to styling agents for natural hair "Black" products are the clear favorite, as far as my mane is concerned.