"WHITE" PRODUCTS V. "BLACK" PRODUCTS.

whitneysimone

No. It's not one of those threads :lol:

But it is relevant somewhat.

The other day I went to a beauty supply store and was browsing the aisles. The set up of the store was that less expensive products advertised to AA hair were in one part of the store and the higher end products were seperated into another part of the store. So im looking at Joico products, and off course they're in their own section of the store. When the store owner see's me in this isle looking at these products he says, "why are you looking at the white products, the black products are over there." He's half laughing half serious, but I took offense. Anyway just thought I would post it because I was wondering if anyone else had this experience. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Kurlee

Not as blatant. but when i got to like trade secrets, they look surprised when i know about kenra, joico, redken... kinda like "yea sure its over there on that side":perplexed

shunta

Kurlee said:
Not as blatant. but when i got to like trade secrets, they look surprised when i know about kenra, joico, redken... kinda like "yea sure its over there on that side":perplexed

Yeah, I noticed the same whenever I go to Trade Secrets. They almost look at me like they wanna say, "what the hell you doin off up in here?"

Whitney, that little comment that the owner said would have offended me, too. That was very ignorant of him to say that. Jerk.

rabs77

I get the look too when I enter the white shops that carry only white hair products here in "All White" Orange County. They ask in this phony voice "Can we help you find anything?" I say in voice that sounds just as phony :D " I am fine thanks...I know what I'm looking for."

ChasingBliss

whitneysimone said:

The other day I went to a beauty supply store and was browsing the aisles. The set up of the store was that less expensive products advertised to AA hair were in one part of the store and the higher end products were seperated into another part of the store. So im looking at Joico products, and off course they're in their own section of the store. When the store owner see's me in this isle looking at these products he says, "why are you looking at the white products, the black products are over there." He's half laughing half serious, but I took offense. Anyway just thought I would post it because I was wondering if anyone else had this experience. :ohwell:
I would have asked him to repeat himself (in an attempt to let him see that his question must have come out his a$$) and then asked him "why are you about to make your store lose my business with your racist question?"

whitneysimone

rabs77 said:
I get the look too when I enter the white shops that carry only white hair products here in "All White" Orange County. They ask in this phony voice "Can we help you find anything?" I say in voice that sounds just as phony :D " I am fine thanks...I know what I'm looking for."

i can def. see that happening in orange county! But i was in INGLEWOOD. im pretty sure inglewood has a white population of 2 people, so I was kinda shocked that he would make the distinction between products and carry "white" products when i havn't seen a white person in Inglewood in like five years!

A lot of these BSS owners ought to be more gracious to their AA consumers because the so called "black" products are what is keeping them in business!

HoneyDew

HoneyLemonDrop said:
I would have asked him to repeat himself (in an attempt to let him see that his question must have come out his a$$) and then asked him "why are you about to make your store lose my business with your racist question?"

:lol: :lol:

That would have been a good thing to say. People are just stupid and until they really learn more about our hair and more black women get hip, they are going to continue to be stupid.

I have never had that happen to me, but once in Sally's a white girl was behind the counter as I purchased some Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol COnditioner. She said that she tried it and did not like it. I asked why and she looked at me like :look: and was like "duh, it is not for white hair." I said "well I use products all the time that are not labeled for black hair and never have a problem. I don't think the products are always black or white" She did not say anything.

Dogmd

whitneysimone said:
i can def. see that happening in orange county! But i was in INGLEWOOD. im pretty sure inglewood has a white population of 2 people, so I was kinda shocked that he would make the distinction between products and carry "white" products when i havn't seen a white person in Inglewood in like five years!

A lot of these BSS owners ought to be more gracious to their AA consumers because the so called "black" products are what is keeping them in business!

Hey... I have been looking for Joico products! WHAT STORE IN INGLEWOOD CARRIES JOICO??? MY VET HOSPITAL IS IN INGLEWOOD!

p.s. there are tons of white people that live in Inglewood. Most of my clients are white. But if you ask them for their address, they put down Los Angeles as the city.

meaganita

whitneysimone said:

:eek: :eek: :eek: The audacity!!! I can't lie, it is kinda funny though...:look: But I would've been offended too if that happened to me.:ohwell:

One of my girlfriends said something like that to me recently when I was telling her about Aussie 3 Minute Miracle... She's all, "Oh, you mean that white people product?" She totally snubbed it, like Aussie was some watered down product from the dollar store or something!?!?! You should have heard the stank in her voice! It was like suddenly, I don't know what's right for my hair simply because I use a so-called "white" product??? I thought it was absolutely ridiculous.:mad: If a product works it works! Just because white folks can't/don't use most of the products marketed to blacks doesn't mean it's wrong for blacks to use other products.

ETA: BSS & Salon owners should really be more careful about that kind of thing. They might mess around and lose their store and find themselves in court!!!

Last edited:

meaganita

rabs77 said:
Love it!:lachen: I do the same thing!

whitneysimone

Dogmd said:
Hey... I have been looking for Joico products! WHAT STORE IN INGLEWOOD CARRIES JOICO??? MY VET HOSPITAL IS IN INGLEWOOD!

p.s. there are tons of white people that live in Inglewood. Most of my clients are white. But if you ask them for their address, they put down Los Angeles as the city.

Hi :D

I don't know the name of the BSS but its on Century in the same shopping center as Target, the one near Morningside High.

and thank you for correcting me about the how many white people are in Inglewood. They must stay indoors or something becuase I have yet to see any :ohwell:

mango387

I had a former stylist of mine to make a comment about me supposedly using white people products on my hair. I shampooed and left the conditioner (Nacidit Avocado from the Dominican Republic) on my hair, so I would be in and out the salon quicker. This was in the days of I-am-willing-to-wait-forty-years-to-look-hot:cool:. Anyway, the stylist does a half-baked job rinsing my hair out, and then proclaims out loud that I have grey deposit on my naturally off black hair. She asked what I used, and I told her an Aveda color shampoo and a special conditioner (I did not want to hear mess about using a product from the DR). She said "Oh, you must have been using white peoples' products." :mad: Then, everyone came looking at my hair as if it were some museum exhibit. To make a long story short, I have used that combination since then, and my hair came out just fine. The next I went to the shop months later, you should have seen this stylist and others in the shop look at my hair when a combination of white and black peoples' products and TLC helped me to retain more length and thickness than ever before.

Valerie

I think to look of people there is a lot of confusion, about 'white' and 'black' hair products. I use hair products, which is referred to as 'white' hair products and I have generally found that they are of a better quality.
My favourite are JF Lazartique, Aveda, Redken. Sisley.

asha

I don't know if it was a racist comment but yes it was ignorant. He better watch it though because ignorance won't get him sales.

Most black women outside this board wonder why I use the products I do but it's just because they are sticking to what they know. Even stuff like Qhemet..they question. On the flip I'm sure white women outside of hairboards stick to what they know as well. The reason I say outside of hairboards is that if you check out some of the "geared to white hair" boards they all up in the olive oil, butters, and the curly gurls are trying the same stuff we are. So yeah..it's more of an ignorance thing.

whitneysimone

you ladies bring up some really good points!!

i know his remarks weren't blatantly racist, at least i hope they weren't for his sake, but I just thought it was intersted that (1) he honestly believed that, and (2) he felt it okay to tell me. but like some of you said, im sure it was out of ignorance.

but thanks for all the replies :D

Last edited:

Brownie518

Where I live, the BSS' have the products all mixed. The Dominican products are in there own section, relaxers in another, hair color in one, but other than that, they are just arranged by brand. That's in the neighborhood BSS. If you go in to those big ones in the malls, they have the 'black' products in one little section where you can hardly find them, like the back of the bus.

Bosslady1

Most bss owners feel that way because the majority of the people who come in there only ask for and buy weaves. Noone really spends the money to purchase quality hair products. Just like the person on the bottle, most folks think it is only for whites or should I say for people with "good hair".
...LHCF know better.;)

Desert Skye

shunta said:
Yeah, I noticed the same whenever I go to Trade Secrets. They almost look at me like they wanna say, "what the hell you doin off up in here?"

Whitney, that little comment that the owner said would have offended me, too. That was very ignorant of him to say that. Jerk.

Oh my God yes! I went there last weekend and when I walked in, all the girls stopped and stared. I just gave a small smile then headed to the Kenra section.

Divalicious

whitneysimone said:
When the store owner see's me in this isle looking at these products he says, "why are you looking at the white products, the black products are over there." He's half laughing half serious, but I took offense. Anyway just thought I would post it because I was wondering if anyone else had this experience. :ohwell:

What an ignorant statement. I don't use 'typical' black products because they don't do anything for my hair. With the exception of Fantasia IC...the one that's like curly pudding. I also don't use black products that can't spell properly. I have a big issue with that.

whitneysimone

Divalicious said:
I also don't use black products that can't spell properly. I have a big issue with that.

awww....whats wrong with a little doogro?!?!:grin: :grin:

lol..im joking, incorrect spellings always have made me think twice about the product, like, if you can't get the spelling right then...........:ohwell:

Hmm..when I think about it though, the BSS carried Mizani in the "white" section... and when I think about it more, I've seen Mizani being sold in several high end salons and BSS that cater to "white" products. Why is Mizani able to be sold among the ranks of the "white" products and doesn't get the "black" label attached to it.....just a thought.:ohwell:

pinkdot's blog

I'm a true product junkie so I like to buy things where ever I go. When I go to a high end bss in Lakewood, or San Fernando Valley, sometimes the white women would give me a puzzled look with a half way smile. Then it sounds like they would force themselves to ask me if I need help. I would' tell them no thanks and keep on shopping. Then They woul1d say "My name is so and so let me know if you need any help!"

But then again its funny because when I go to the bss/drug store on the east side of Long Beach, Compton, or South Central, and buy a white product the black women look at me like I'm crazy. I used to think to myself, "Oh would you feel better if I bought a jar of Haddy Mae's Super Grow out Grease?" And some of them had bald sides with their braids in a tight pony tail or chewed up ends.

But to tell you the truth it doesn't bother me anymore. I do agree that it may be out of ignorance. Black or white woman. And who am I to get up set? Shoot there was a time when I thought that brown prostyle gel was the best thing to happen to my hair. But I do see how you can find the remark he made offensive. He put it all the way out there. Maybe when they receive their training to work at the bss, their supervisors should tell them that its not their job to judge people on what they are purchasing.