Bleach Highlights...BIG MISTAKE!

pearlygurl

I got bleach highlights(blonde) a couple of month ago...BIG MISTAKE! I now suffer from breakage no matter what I do. My hair is breaking at the demarcation line between my natural color and the bleached hair.

I'm soooo over my highlights. What's the best way to get rid of them? A rinse? Cut? I'm open to all suggestions :)

blackbarbie

I got bleach highlights(blonde) a couple of month ago...BIG MISTAKE! I now suffer from breakage no matter what I do. My hair is breaking at the demarcation line between my natural color and the bleached hair.

I'm soooo over my highlights. What's the best way to get rid of them? A rinse? Cut? I'm open to all suggestions :)

Pearly,
I'm sorry you're not having a good experience with the highlights.:sad:
I don't know a way to get "rid" of them, but I can tell you what will help you to stop the breakage.

A good protein treatment (I use Aphogee) will help and then you have to make sure to keep your hair moisturized. (I use NTM Silk Touch)....Some of the other ladies have some other good suggestions as well.

The color being lifted from your hair dries it out even more which mean that you almost have to "super" moisturize. (I used to moisturize my hair a few times a day when I first got color). If the hair is dry and brittle, that's what causes it to snap, crackle, and pop.

Sistaslick has some great articles (I think they are stickys) on protein and moisture.

Hopefully some of the other ladies will chime in.

Good luck!

BB

sareca

Back in 2005 I had bleached highlights too. They were completely gone within 3 months. It all fell out. :wallbash:

silverlotus

I feel you girl. i had a nasty episode with bleach highlights in 2004. i think that incident is what led me to hair boards. my hair was breaking all over the place! :nono:

anyway, i second the hard protein treatment & intense moisture after that. also, a rinse might help protect your hair some. if you don't want to change the color, do a clear one. when i had highlights, i used a copper rinse & it looked really nice. don't cut, just let your hair grow out & slowly trim. i just trimmed out the last of the bleached hair this summer. don't worry, it will get better. :kiss:

Lovelylocs

Protein treatments and a rinse should help! You don't have to get a dark rinse. It can be clear or a shade of blonde, etc. The rinse will help protect ur cortex. :)

SunnyDelight

Back in 2005 I had bleached highlights too. They were completely gone within 3 months. It all fell out. :wallbash:

Exact same thing happened to me. I noticed the difference within 4 weeks and when I asked my stylist if she noticed my hair thinning, she said "oh no - it's not thinning at all." Meanwhile, blond stands of hair were everywhere.

Give your hair lots of moisture and TLC.

ronakajones

I had the same problem. After Half of my hair broke out I died my whole head with Bigen Oriental Black and deep condition faithfully. I was able to save the rest of my hair after doing that, but I am still clipping the broken sections off. Good luck.

pearlygurl

Thanks everyone! I will try a strong protein treament and up my moisturizing game BIG TIME :yep: Any other suggestions? :scratchch

gymfreak336

I feel you girl. i had a nasty episode with bleach highlights in 2004. i think that incident is what led me to hair boards. my hair was breaking all over the place! :nono:

anyway, i second the hard protein treatment & intense moisture after that. also, a rinse might help protect your hair some. if you don't want to change the color, do a clear one. when i had highlights, i used a copper rinse & it looked really nice. don't cut, just let your hair grow out & slowly trim. i just trimmed out the last of the bleached hair this summer. don't worry, it will get better. :kiss:

Great advice. Do a intense protein treatment, bleached hair needs extra help. Then follow up with a good moisturizing conditioner to keep your hair pliable which will also help slow breakage. A rinse will help because it helps protect the already fragile hair so that is another thing to look into.

pearlygurl

Great advice. Do a intense protein treatment, bleached hair needs extra help. Then follow up with a good moisturizing conditioner to keep your hair pliable which will also help slow breakage. A rinse will help because it helps protect the already fragile hair so that is another thing to look into.

I was thinking about trying Colorshowers in clear