Blowdrying a baby's hair??? Oh, the horror!!

OneShinyface

A guy friend of mine just sought my advice about how to help his wife work with their nearly 2-year-old daughter's hair. I've not seen her before, but through questioning, I figure she must have tightly coiled hair.

He told me it takes both him and his wife to wash her hair because she wouldn't stay still. I made some suggestions on how they could make it comfortable, like laying her on the countertop in the kitchen and washing it in the sink. He said they do, but she won't stay still.

THEN he told me that his daughter would scream when it came time to blow dry her hair. I almost passed out!!! WTF!!!??? I'm thinking, well no wonder why she won't let them wash her hair - she knows the blowdryer's coming and freaking out. I can't believe anyone would use a blowdryer on a baby's hair, I don't care how coarse it is!

I recommended Cream of Nature shampoo with the green label, Pantene Light Conditioning Spray and a Jilbere shower comb to detangle while wet - AND to leave that darned blowdryer alone.

I was so outdone that I couldn't offer any other suggestions, so I'm turning it over to you ladies with young daughers for advice I can share with him.

I'm still shell-shocked! TIA!

good2uuuu

A blowdryer? Heck no! Tell them that after the detangling and squeezing the water out with a towel, not rubbing it, to put a little oil through her hair (I use Hollywood Beuaty Castor Oil), comb that throguh with the wide tooth comb and then just braid in 3 or 4 sections. It will dry and then they can style afterward. Of course I don't know what type of styles they want. I usually do pony puffs or twists or something. My daughter just turned 2 today, so I know about the not being still part.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Maybe suggest to them to wash her hair while she takes a bath.

And why don't they try braiding or twisting up her hair to let it dry instead of blowdrying. That's what my mom did to my hair when I was younger with natural hair.

HWAY

No wonder the poor baby fights them. She's been traumatized. I couldn't wash my daughter's hair in the sink until she was five. Children are scared of falling into the sink and are scared of the rush of water pouring onto them. Poohbear's suggestion of washing her hair in the tub sounds good. To rinse, use a separate washcloth and ring the water over the baby's hair. Are they using baby shampoo? If not, that would would good. Also, I braided my daughter's hair while damp after oiling her scalp and letting drink from a bottle or cup and watch tv.

Leslie_C

yeah I agree w/ washing in the bathtub, thats what my mom used to do. She would rinse it w/ pots of warm water while I sat in the tub....awww those were the days...lol.

lonesomedove

My daughter is 4 and I still wash her hair in the tub every week and poor the warm water down her back. I use CON shampoo and and Baby Love conditioning detangler and then comb her hair with a wide tooth comb, and braid it. It's normally dry in the morning. She has beautiful hair and I always get compliments. I was going to ask you guys, when did you start to blowdry and press? I see a lot of her friends 4 and 5 already pressed. So far what I'm doing is working, but I was just curious of the age. I'm talking like special occasions. Thanks.

ClassicChic

Gee, she is only two. Does the shrinkage bother them? They need to leave her alone. All they need is a good leave in moisturizer and barettes.

tryn2growmyhair

What is the matter with these people? Are the both black? How could they not know how to take care of their child's hair? That is a quick way to give that child damaged hair. Furthermore, she is going to have a bad relationship with her hair and will have problems taking care of it if they continue. Hair care should be a good memory for the child not a bad one. Man, some people should take classes before having kids. There, I said it. I am sorry but it is the truth.

Dolapo

I remember when my mother used to wash my hair with detergents...... i guess that must be very clarifying.....

OneShinyface

tryn2growmyhair said:
What is the matter with these people? Are the both black? How could they not know how to take care of their child's hair? That is a quick way to give that child damaged hair. Furthermore, she is going to have a bad relationship with her hair and will have problems taking care of it if they continue. Hair care should be a good memory for the child not a bad one. Man, some people should take classes before having kids. There, I said it. I am sorry but it is the truth.

That's exactly what I told him. And yes, they are both black. I must admit his wife has never sounded like she was wrapped too tight. She had braids recently for a month and never washed her hair!!!! He is as clueless about caring for his daughter's hair as she is.

I have sons and when they were little I could lay them on the counter to wash their hair and they loved it. I used a plastic storage container to rinse their hair. My youngest used to go to sleep because he found it so relaxing and he had a head full of 3-type hair.

I can't stand it when people have daughters and don't know what do to with their hair!!

tryn2growmyhair

OneShinyface said:
I can't stand it when people have daughters and don't know what do to with their hair!!

ITA! Having a daughter should obligate you to read up on how to take care of her hair! I can't stand to see little girls with damaged hair! Their parents should know that it makes them look bad -- not the little girl -- we all know that it's not her fault!