Blowdrying without hair breakage,

Babychoc

is it possible?

Hi all. I usually condition wash my hair daily, and today I decided to blowdried my hair for the first time in ages to see the full length of my hair. Unfortunately, there was WAAAAAY too much breakage on the bathroom floor for my taste
. I was extra gentle (I think) with my hair, and I also blowdried in sections and made sure my hair was moisturized. I did not use a blowdry attachment though, just my wide toothed comb. Also, my hair is VERY VERY thick and maybe this could be the problem
?

Anyway, if I can't find a solution to minimize so much breakage during blowdring, I'm going back to my daily condition washes
. I really don't want to lose anymore hair than I have too. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Okay listen...

Now I'll level with you--blow drying is bad. It makes your hair like a desert, but I understand the desire to do it occassionally. I blew my hair out on Saturday (for Ruben--special occassion) and I let it air dry about half way first. Then I added L'Oreal Smooth Intense Serum to my hair. (I've never used that to blow dry before). Then I blew it out with my paddle brush (I don't use a comb attachment) and the brush rolled right through my hair without a single hair catching in the brush.

So there's my tip--but remember...the blow dryer is not your friend

Vanessa22

I'm sorry I can't offer any advice. But whenever I did use a blow dryer in the past, it was always accompanied by a lot of breakage. So since then, I've given up on it totally.

Isis

That's why I threw away my blowdryer after coming to LHCF and discovering airdrying. I was so sick of seeing broken pieces of hair in the sink and on the bathroom floor.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
DigitalRain said:
This is why I never blowdry, even pre LHCF. I lose too much hair.

[/ QUOTE ] same here , plus my hair only gets bigger the whole time im blow drying it, by the time it would start to get straight, ive both fried it and im exhausted
it just aint worth it

Allandra

Re: Blowdrying without hair breakage,

I don't get my hair blow dried very often. The last time my hair stylist blow dried my hair was June 2003. My hair had previously air dried some. She parted my hair in small sections (like jainygirl described on a thread not so long ago) and it came out nice and straight. I also like how northernbelle described her hair stylist's method (dry a little under a hooded dryer and then finish drying with a blow dryer). These methods work well for my hair.

Dolce_Dawn

Hmmm... I do think it is possible to blowdry your hair w/minimal breakage. I am relaxed and I wrap my hair then let it sit (air-dry) then put the blowdryer to it and I don't get breakage, only long hairs (shedding). Now, when I was natural (when I was a wee one) my mom used to wash my hair, put in conditioner, part my hair in-- let's say-- 6 parts and carefully DETANGLE each part w/a wide tooth comb. She took her time and braided up each detangled section then went back over and blew dry each part w/a comb attachment. Again, I only remember long strands, if any.

I think the key is to moisturize, DETANGLE and good technique (take your time and have a comb attachment).

HTH

candibaby

I blowdry my hair with VERY LITTLE breakage. I part my hair in 3 sections. I use Frizz Ease Relax Straight Forward blow dry cream. It protects my hair as I dry it, make it shiny, and flatten my new growth really well. Yesterday I also put liv and allways super gro on my ends (liv on my hairshaft as well) before drying and my hair came out some BEAUTIFUL and was so SHINY! I'm going to keep doing that in the future.

Babychoc

Thank you all for your views on blowdrying. I think that I will keep up with my daily conditioner washes since I NEVER have breakage doing this
. I have come such a long way with my hair, and I don't want any setbacks. I just cannot stand seeing those little broken hairs all over my bathroom floor
! No thanks blowdryer, I'll pass

northernbelle

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
I don't get my hair blow dried very often. The last time my hair stylist blow dried my hair was June 2003. My hair had previously air dried some. She parted my hair in small sections (like jainygirl described on a thread not so long ago) and it came out nice and straight. I also like how northernbelle described her hair stylist's method (dry a little under a hooded dryer and then finish drying with a blow dryer). These methods work well for my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, it's funny. The first time a stylist performed the hood dry/blow dry sequence on my hair was when I relocated to Augusta, Georgia in 1996. Within a year's time, my hair had grown to shoulder length - no joke. Of course, I also wore my hair in a bun the majority of the time, not so much as a protective style as much as to prevent hair meltdown from the heat and humidity.

Anyway, I revived this method of doing my hair at home this past winter, and have no immediate plans to return to wet roller sets.

northernbelle