Blowdrying natural hair prior to detangling?

Holla

I went to a salon last week and the lady blew out my hair prior to detangling. According to her, it is best to blow dry natural hair prior to detangling because the stretched hair is easier to detangle. So she would section my hair with her fingers, use her bare hand to hold the section taunt while she applied heat with the blowdryer. After the section was stretched with heat, only then would she use a paddle brush to detangle.

I never thought about that before: to blowdry prior to detangling to make it easier to detangle.

Do others do that? How do you blow dry your hair? What is your step by step?

prettybyrd

So this was like the tension method?

Personally, I have never tried to blow drying wet, untangled hair. If I do blow dry, it's only to stretch my hair quickly in order to braid it. My steps are to wash and condition, plait to air dry, allow the air to dry completely and then "dry" on warm/high. It takes all of five minutes.

I do try to minimize heat on my hair because almost all of my setbacks have involved it.

How did you like your hair? Was her method something you plan to adopt?

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
IDK about others but I would be bald headed if I kept that up, especially using a brush.

100% dry detangling = breakage for me
100% wet detangling = breakage for me

I cant detangle much more or less than 80% dry.

Did she put some kind of product in it before blow drying?

Holla

So this was like the tension method?

Personally, I have never tried to blow drying wet, untangled hair. If I do blow dry, it's only to stretch my hair quickly in order to braid it. My steps are to wash and condition, plait to air dry, allow the air to dry completely and then "dry" on warm/high. It takes all of five minutes.

I do try to minimize heat on my hair because almost all of my setbacks have involved it.

How did you like your hair? Was her method something you plan to adopt?

I liked it. I plan to try it out once for me. Usually I do airdry a bit at home before blowing straight (if at all). I just always detangle in the shower first, then detangle a little while sectioning the hair into ponytails or plaits. Being that it was a salon, she wasn't going to airdry my hair. She also didn't detangle in the sink or before blowing it out.

I'm not sure but I think it may have resulted in less breakage because the strands were straighter before detangling. I'll try it at home first before coming to that conclusion.

Holla

IDK about others but I would be bald headed if I kept that up, especially using a brush.

She did. It was an Aveda salon so she used a leave in product prior to blowdrying. I can't remember the name of what she used. It is in their "Brilliant" line of products.

all_1_length

Yup this is exactly how I blow dry my hair.:yep: Usually I wash, condition, apply my leave in and then section my hair with clips. I take one section hold it taught while I run the blow dryer on medium heat over the section until it is like 80% dry. Next I detangle with a wide tooth comb to get any tangles out, then I'll pass the blow dryer over it again to finish drying. If my hair is too wavy after I'm done I might use a finer tooth comb or paddle brush to make my hair a little straighter. This works great if I'm going to flat iron my hair afterwards. Since I started using this method I have noticed more retention and less breakage.

all_1_length

This is pretty much my problem too this is why I had to give up using a comb attachment on the blow dryer, it would destroy my hair especially at the ends.With regards to detangling, while my hair is wet I do run my fingers through my hair with conditioner in it before rinsing it out so but not very much. The rest I do after blow drying my hair until it's almost dry.