Help Blowdrying Natural Hair *pics*

Your Cheeziness

I've searched here and on Youtube, but didn't find what I was looking for.:spinning:

I know the key to a good flat iron is moisture and the stretching process. I want to use a blowdryer, however, my skills are wiggity, wiggity WACK.

I've tried twice and this is what I did: Cowash, DC (about an hour), lightly towel dry, apply leave in (giovanni direct), serum (Sally GVP Chi Silk Infusion or Sally GVP PM Super Skinny serum), blowdried (once with Denman and once with a comb attachment.

I have a comb attachment and I got the results you see in my avi. My hair was not feeling moisturized at all and I couldn't get the ends decently straight, so needless to say, my flat iron was a mess. I get the roots straight, but it's the ends I'm having trouble with. :wallbash: And nope, i don't have any splits, contrary to what the pic looks like. My ends are healthy.

*******pics deleted********

Anywho, I can't find tutorials on YT with tightly coiled hair. Most people already have loosely curly, wavy hair and I need technique for tightly coily/kinky, 1000% shrinkage hair.

Any suggestions? Based on what I've told you, what suggestions do you have? And um...please don't laugh at my pics. :ohwell:

TIA!

UPDATE in post #9

Last edited:

prettyinpurple

I had a blow-out over the weekend, and it wasn't as straight as the previous one. I applied Qhemet OHHB to my ends for a couple of nights, before rolling my hair in large satin rollers. It was an experiment, but it worked. The OHHB did the trick.

I use the satin rollers nightly when I have a blow-out.

ETA: The OHHB did add moisture and soften my hair. So I'm thinking you could apply a light oil in the same way to smooth your ends.

MISSBOSSY

You can try using a tension comb it tension brush when you blow dry or flat iron. They help keep your ends smooth & cut down on the number of passes needed with the flat iron

MsLizziA

Perhaps i could be of some help! Are you using a leave-in conditioner?

I used to have the same prob you had until i started using a light leave-in in my hair and that made ALL the difference. I used Aphogee Pro-vitamin Leave-in and i have a tutorial on how i do it on my YT channel. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnzrVbyRKsg

I hope it helps you out!

hairsothick

Black and Magical
What leave-in and heat protectant are you using. I'm with MissLizziA on the Aphogee leave-in. Combine that with their green tea reconstructurizer and it works great.

Do you blow dry wet/damp hair? I have found that I get my hair straight if I let it air dry in braids beforehand (hair is thoroughly detangled).

Also, what kind of blowdryer are you using?

Your Cheeziness

What leave-in and heat protectant are you using. I'm with MissLizziA on the Aphogee leave-in. Combine that with their green tea reconstructurizer and it works great.

Do you blow dry wet/damp hair? I have found that I get my hair straight if I let it air dry in braids beforehand (hair is thoroughly detangled).

Also, what kind of blowdryer are you using?

I used a Solia with the Denman since it doesn't come with a comb attachment. I used Giovanni Direct leave in. Your siggy is just :drool::lick:

Perhaps i could be of some help! Are you using a leave-in conditioner?

I used to have the same prob you had until i started using a light leave-in in my hair and that made ALL the difference. I used Aphogee Pro-vitamin Leave-in and i have a tutorial on how i do it on my YT channel. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnzrVbyRKsg

I hope it helps you out!

You ladies may be right about the leave in. I just remembered my BEST blowdry/flat iron on my relaxed hair was using a watery leave in and the green tea reconstructor. I could never duplicate those results without those products. Thanks for the reminder!

Have you tried comb chasing?
I would have, but since my hair was still kinky from the blowdry, I wasn't going to put a fine tooth comb to it.

Last edited:

NerdSauce

I personally have found that I can't get a really really good blowdry with the new Giovanni formula unless i use *miniscule* amounts.

Also, I'm useless with a comb attachment... but almost no matter what product I use (besides the new Giovanni direct formula..grr.), I get favorable results using a boar bristle round brush. I use it mainly for tension, so not a whole ton of brushing the hair involved.

Your Cheeziness

Update: I thought my ends weren't bad, but them joints were busted. When I'm in twists and protective styles, it's easy to assume my ends are all good. The clue was when they didn't coil with my finger like they used to.

I got a professional shaping and straightening. (about an inch in most areas) When my stylist blew my hair out with a paddle brush, my hair was relaxer straight, but them ends though?? :nono: I'm glad they're gone and my hair is finally shaped.

***Pics deleted***

Last edited:

Sianna

Your second set of pics look really good OP!! Your hair is growing out nicely! I love that she maintained your layers! :yep:

OT: hairsothick that twist-out... :drool::drool::drool:

Someday... *sighs dreamily*

Your Cheeziness

^^^What brush did she use to blow dry? And what was her technique?

Just a CHI dryer and a paddle brush that's it. It was pretty much straight after that. He mixed hot and cool hair to blow dry. The flat iron was just one pass to finish. He says he relies on the blow dry method to straighten, not the flat iron. It was done in small sections with some kind of Mizani product. I didn't see what it was.

ETA: Mizani Shyne Bodying Sheen Spray

Last edited: