Blue Ecostyler Gel: Is the hold really softer?

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
For those of you using the Blue Ecostyler Gel, is the hold really softer than the clear, Olive Oil or Argan Oil formulas?

I have the Olive Oil formula and while it holds and slicks my hair back like the bizness, I hate that it's super thick and hard to co-wash out. So what I wanna know about the Blue version is:

a.) Is the hold softer?
b.) Does it still do a good job of holding your situation down (if that's what you use it for.)
c.) If you use it for WNGs, does it give good curl definition?

TIA!

ravenhairedcharm

I was just thinking about this gel today. This isn't from my own experience, but a few youtubers I've watched have said that it does have a softer hold than the olive oil one.

AsTheCurlzTurns

For those of you using the Blue Ecostyler Gel, is the hold really softer than the clear, Olive Oil or Argan Oil formulas?
Yes, IMO anyway.

I have the Olive Oil formula and while it holds and slicks my hair back like the bizness, I hate that it's super thick and hard to co-wash out. So what I wanna know about the Blue version is:

a.) Is the hold softer? Yes
b.) Does it still do a good job of holding your situation down (if that's what you use it for.) Yes
c.) If you use it for WNGs, does it give good curl definition? Yes

TIA!
My answers above. I absolutely love the blue eco-styler gel for WnGs. I use Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie with a layer of the Blue Eco on top. If I am in a real hurry, i will sometimes mix the 2 and go. Also for me, its definitely able to be co-washed out easily. HTH.

Dposh167

i get a harder hold with the blue VS the others. And i own all the ones listed. I use the blue when i need really good hold. Olive is softer to me. And Argan is a slight bit harder than olive

melissa-bee

Blue ecostlyer gel has two holds, hold 5 and 10.
I have the 10 one. I haven't tried the others to compare it too yet.

MusicandWine

Blue eco is my favorite, I'm currently trying to use up the clear, pink and olive oil. I find that all eco styler gels are on the thick side so to cut the thickness a bit I dip my hands in water after rubbing some gel between them and then apply to my hair. I really can't apply those gels straight out of the tub if I'm wearing my hair in a loose style. So to answer your questions - the hold is definitely softer especially after day one. I haven't used it to hold my hair down but I have noticed that it doesn't control my frizzy sides when I wash and style, so I usually have to use a stronger gel over it to get better control and lasting frizz protection. It gives great curl definition like the other stylers do.

so1913

It is definitely a softer hold and love it for my loose hair. Blue with hold of 5 is color treated formula. I'm hearing it is being discontinued (or rather the color treated gel reformulated) so may be scarce to find. According to their website the new color treated (which was the blue with hod of 5) will now be yellow with a hold of around 8. The new Blue will be a sports gel with a hold of 10. I purchased 2 5lb tubs of the blue hold of 5 this weekend and had to bss hop a few shops to find it. Grab it up while you can.

The Blue Gel I find doesn't have a strong enough hold for my slicked back styles, so opt for another ecostyler with a hold of 10

greenandchic

Maybe its because my hair is on the finer side, but I think Blue has a hold that's almost as hard as the Argan and Olive Oil ones. Its more like 7 or 8, not 5. For me, its good for slick back styles.

If I really want a softer hold gel, I usually use Kiss My Face Upper Management gel.

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
Thanks, Ladies!

I have the blue gel with the 5 hold and when my Olive Oil formula runs out, I'll give it a try! And since at least one of you suggested that it might be discontinued or re-formulated, if I like it, I'll will DEFINITELY re-up at my local BSS!

Thank you again!