Boatload of reviews!

Boadicea

I've recently tried Nexxus Botanical Treatment shampoo, Nioxin Protectives Moisture and Strength deep conditioner, and John Frieda's Brilliant Brunette light reflecting conditioner. But first, the statistics:

Type: 3B/C
Texture: mildly relaxed with LYE. I never leave my relaxer on for more than three minutes tops, therefore my hair is more of a pooffy straight than a stick straight texture. I currently have one inch of natural hair.
Condition: Dry, thick, color treated (sept 2003)

And here we go:

Nexxus Botanoil Botanical Treatment shampoo: It has a creamy, slightly liquid consistencey, not only is the shampoo orange, it also smells like Sunny D. The lather is decent, comes out white with clear bubbles.

It goes on ultra smooth, and I was able to not only comb my hair with my fingers, but I could also bring a comb through it.

You are instructed to leave the shampoo on for three minutes to let the so called time-released ceramides and botanical oils nourish your hair.

Fast forward three minutes: I couldn't even get one finger to go through my hair. The lather was, of course, gone. After rinsing, my hair was hard, immobile, but oh-so shiny. I don't think the trade off was worth it.

The Verdict: 2 out of 10
Better shampoos have gone before. I will stick with my Infusium 23 shampoo for color treated/relaxed hair. It's leaps and bounds more moisturizing before and after it's rinsed.

Brilliant Brunette Light Reflecting conditioner: This is a product by John Frieda who first created (among other things) the Beach Blonde and Sheer Blonde collections.

It comes in different formulas depending on the shade of brown hair you have. I used the Chestnut to Esprseeo one.

This conditioner promises to "transform dull, dry, brown hair into soft, supple, satin brunette. Smoothes and perfects each strand for a healthier, more radiant appearance. Adds natural luster for intense, mirror-like shine."

The consistency is a watery creme, it smells like a mix of cinnamon and cheap perfume. It lathers horribly unless you put on a lot of it. And, when you put on a lot of it, it just oozes out of your hand and doesn't really add anything.

It made my hair dry, comparable to the dryness the shampoo gave my hair. After rinsing, my hair was, surprise, dry.

As for the claims, far as I can tell (after taking pictures for a before and after, and after looking in three different mirrors, two of which were by windows) this conditioner, which promises instant results, did nothing. Just plain nothing. I was hoping to at least get a little added moisture out of it for my wasted time. Nada.

The Verdict: 1 out of 10
Please save you $5.99. I wish I had saved mine.

Nioxin Bionutrient Protectives Moisture and Strength deep conditioner: Where to even start with this one. You're supposed to keep it on for 3-5 minutes. I did that, sans heat. Hard, un-moisturized hair.

So I figured, maybe I should try some heat. So I sat under my Lady Dazey soft bonnet dryer (great dryer, distributes heat slightly unevenly, but effective) for 40 minutes (I checked my hair after 10, 15, 20, and 30 minutes). My result: hard un-moisturized hair.

The best part was rinsing this stuff out of my hair.

The Verdict: 1 out of 10
This deep conditioner can't hold a tealight candle to AO GPB, L'Oreal's Mega Moisture deep conditioner, Le Kair's cholesterol Plus or probably any other deep conditioner.

More reviews coming soon.

Armyqt

Wow, so all the products were a bust huh? Sorry to hear that. Great reviews though. I always enjoy reading your reviews and recommendations are always on point for me. I'll be staying waaaayy away from these products

BTW, what happened to the password for your album. I wanted to take a looksie the other day

blue_flower

Excellent reviews, Boadicea!

I was thinking about using the Brilliant Brunette line, but forget it now. If it didn't work on your hair, it certaintly wouldn't work on mine.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
blue_flower said:
Excellent reviews, Boadicea!

I was thinking about using the Brilliant Brunette line, but forget it now. If it didn't work on your hair, it certaintly wouldn't work on mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reviews Boadicea. I had the same results with the Nexxus Botanoil Shampoo...
I know that some people like it, but it just didn't work for me
Left my hair hard like Brillo!!

And as for John Frieda conditioners -- I'd stay away from them. I have the Sheer Blonde line Shampoo & Conditioner that I had bought for my blonde highlights, and I didn't like either of them. They're resting comfortably in my "product graveyard"

LABETT

I tried Nioxin structure and strength now moisture and strength my hair did not care for it either.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
lunalight7 said:
Thanx for the heads up Lindy...I was gonna try his Blonde line for my hilites too....I'll pass on it now...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you ever decide you still want to try them, we can always do another trade!!
Maybe you would have better luck with them than I did...

lunalight7

Oh that sounds great! I was really just considering the hilite cream that comes in a tube. The product seemed to be really shimmery and I thought I could just put a little on my hilites to kick them up a notch. Do you have that product?

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
lunalight7 said:
Oh that sounds great! I was really just considering the hilite cream that comes in a tube. The product seemed to be really shimmery and I thought I could just put a little on my hilites to kick them up a notch. Do you have that product?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Lunalight, but I just have the shampoo & conditioner...
That shimmery stuff sounds interesting though... I'm gonna have to look out for that.

OnlyErin

Nioxin and Nexxus have not impressed me. I do like Emergencee, but that's about it. I have to say, though, the Brilliant Brunette line has been a godsend for my hair. I agree with you about the scent, but my hair really is noticeably more shiny and softer when I use it. But I use no-lye, so maybe that's the difference?