Box Braid Care Tips

GraceJones

I just got jumbo box braids the other day.

Here's the regimen I plan on using:

Spritz with Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier 1x daily

I was also thinking about buying this:

Also wash 1x weekly with diluted ORS Creamy Aloe

To DC or not to DC. That is the question. Would co-washing be better?

momi

I've used both and would highly recommend the African Pride spray. My daughter used to experience breakage after braids but the last two rounds using the AP spray must have made a difference. All we did differently was use this nightly before tying her hair down.

I don't have anything against the TW product except it was hard to dispense from the container so coverage was not adequate nor did it seem to be as moisturizing.

GraceJones

Do yall use Sulfur 8 grease also? Do you think that will cause build up around the base. I tried using a Sulfur mix before and take down was a nightmare because all the sulfur stuck to the base.

King of Sorrow

I'm usually a fan of Taliah Waajid products but that one was a miss for me. As @momi said, dispensing it was a pain. It doesn't spray a mist over your head but a single hard stream to one spot. I found the eucalyptus scent anoying after a while and it left white build-up on my hair that got stuck between the braids. I had to wash my braids sooner than anticipated and it still didn't get rid of it all.

Can't speak to anything else but to minimize build-up I'd be careful of anything of a creamy consistency, can't be mostly rinsed off with room temperature water, or needs a soap/detergent product and agitation to remove. There are so many nooks and crannies in braids that you're not going to be get to every spot.

sweet_silvia88

I just got jumbo box braids the other day.

Here's the regimen I plan on using:

Spritz with Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier 1x daily

I was also thinking about buying this:

Also wash 1x weekly with diluted ORS Creamy Aloe

To DC or not to DC. That is the question. Would co-washing be better?
Hi dear! How long will you keep them in?

TeeMBL

Lurker
I've been spritzing with Xcel-21 for a while now for growth. Its so easy in braids because you can get right to the scalp. My regimen is:

Daily - Spritz scalp with Xcel morning and night (especially my edges), moisturize with AVJ conditioner, and seal with grape seed oil.
Weekly - Wash with diluted shampoo (cantu sulfate-free) in spray bottle
Weekly DC - ORS

Tefnut

That TW Mist Bodifier used to be a great product 10 years ago before she changed the ingredients. The ingredients were all natural, moisturising and I loved it. I have my natural hair braided and may go back to the African Royale Braid Spray (Bronner Bros.) to help moisturize and stop the itching.

I'm usually a fan of Taliah Waajid products but that one was a miss for me. As @momi said, dispensing it was a pain. It doesn't spray a mist over your head but a single hard stream to one spot. I found the eucalyptus scent anoying after a while and it left white build-up on my hair that got stuck between the braids. I had to wash my braids sooner than anticipated and it still didn't get rid of it all.

Can't speak to anything else but to minimize build-up I'd be careful of anything of a creamy consistency, can't be mostly rinsed off with room temperature water, or needs a soap/detergent product and agitation to remove. There are so many nooks and crannies in braids that you're not going to be get to every spot.