Braid Out on Wet Hair

leona2025

I've been looking at tutorials and I want to try my hand at braid outs, but I noticed most people are doing them on dry or damp hair. Does anyone do these on wet hair? Does it come out better if done on damp hair?

Honey Bee

I wouldn't recommend doing it on soaking wet hair, just to avoid manipulating it too much while it's wet. Also, the waves of the braid-out would presumably be tighter if you did it while it was wet.

I used to dry in ponytails, with the hair in braids (to keep it detangled). When it got about 70% dry, I the ponytails out, added a little creamy moisturizer, chi silk infusion, and sealed with oil. Then I rebraided in whatever style I was gonna wear it (like, making the part, etc). I have fine, over-permed end, so for me, I find it best to take out that last set of braids before my hair is totally dry. That way, the ends can kinda fluff back up to match the roots.

Obligatory reminder about ponytail drying: They can cause breakage, just like ponytails, with overuse.

HHStyling! :)

eta: pics of braidouts

(the result of two cornrows on soaking wet hair in Aug)
DSC00091.jpg

(the result of a 4-6 braids on damp hair, probably day 2, in November)
DSC00273.jpg

Last edited:

exoticmommie

Every time I do it, my hair is never dry. This is even to be about 9 hours later. I like to do it on 80-90% dry hair.

westNDNbeauty

I always do mine on damp hair because I use setting lotion as one of my steps. Mine usually last 1-2 weeks depending on how well I take care of it. I'm a low manipulation kinda girl so braiding on wet hair helps a tremendous amount seeing that it really sets the curl and waves. The only thing I do to my hair when its in a braid n' curl is tie it at night and shake in the morning. Nothing else. Period.

Check out the video in my signature. "Signature Style: Braid n' Curl"

epiphany braids

Great thread Leona!!

I have 1 question...when I do the braid out, my hair it frizzes up.
do any one have a great anti frizz they can recommend for type 4b texlaxed hair?
Will sitting under a dryer count as like heat damage?

Nonie

I haven't used this for a braidout on my hair but I do believe in John Frieda's Frizz-Ease. I used to use it on my relaxed hair and it'd give the smoothest finish to my damp hair and even give a silkier press when I'd flat iron my hair.

I used to use it so seal in moisture on my natural hair and would have the softest twists with a beautiful sheen.

I haven't tried any other anti-frizz serum because John Frieda to me is the best there is and have been at it longer than others, methinks.

levette

I prefer doing it on damp hair after I have tied down my edges for a few hours. My hair doesn't shrink at bad and my hair tends to take forever to dry when it is wet and braided.

leona2025

Thanks everyone for the great answers. I did a braid out and I'm going to start another thread about it with pictures.