Braid outs and naturals

bellydancer

I just can't get a braid out! My hair just comes out in a huge afro. I want to try braid outs. How does everyone do it? What products are used? What technique? I'd like to try a cute pinned up braid out instead of this bun cuz i think my hair line is running away from me.

Isis

My hair is relaxed but maybe braiding your hair in larger braids will leave it wavy, like when you were a little girl. I braid mine in 4 braids. There are many naturals here who successfully wear braid outs. Look at Nay's pictures of her braid outs on her natural hair (the link is towards the bottom of the page:

picshttp://www.longhaircareforum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=351794&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Bellydancer,

Braid-outs on Natural hair usually look nothing like braid-outs on relaxed hair.

You may need to blow-out your hair and use setting lotion or gel to get a more defined braid-out.

A lot of the time, people with Natural hair use a braid-out to show length more so than to get defined spirals/curls. I've read about many Naturals using a braid-out to help them acheive a BAA.

I hope that helps and good luck.

Kha

I do my braids when my hair is dripping wet. I also use a combination of Aloe Vera Gel, KemiOyl, and Vitamin E oil, then put perm rods at the ends. Let it air dry and it comes out great!

Nay

Hey, I'm a natural. For my braidouts to look good, I have to (1) Make about 14 braids. If I only did a few braids, it just doesn't look like a style.

(2) Braid hair while still wet, using some type of moisturizer or setting lotion. I currently just use Liv hair dressing, rubbing in my hands first and then applying generously to each section before braiding.

If my hair starts to dry while I'm braiding, I spritz some water on it to keep it moist.

(3) I make sure I leave my braids in until COMPLETELY airdried. This usually means leaving them in overnight. If I take them out to soon, I will have puffy hair.

(4) Unbraid hair in the morning. Then rub out parts and kind of fluff hair with fingers to loosen the wavy pattern.

(5) For my edges, either the night before or that morning I apply some more water and Proclaim Styling Gel and then put on a headband or scarf. After about ten minutes, this smooths the edges down nicely.

Here is a link to another natural who shares braidout tips and results: http://motowngirl.com/how_to.htm
Go to the link, and then click on braid-outs or twists for instructions.

And yet another natural: http://www.geocities.com/ovwiseman/journal.html

Peachi

I am natural and when I do my braid outs I follow a similar guideline like the one Nay posted. But my hair shrinks a lot and I like to show my length when I do braids out...for this reason I don't do braid out on wet hair.
After washing my hair...I make BIG twists/braids (10-14) and I let that hair dry. When it's fully dry, I take out the twists/braids and comb them out (to stretch the hair) then I proceed to twist my hair (not huge twists but not small either). I wear this twisted style for 1-2 days, then I unravel them and they have that crimply look that I like.
It gives me that "lenny kravitz" look. I wore it once in the village and I think the "look" the hair gave me was the reason why this newgroups from australia stopped me to ask me questions related to 9/11 and its effect on new yorkers. I was look hip and trendy with that hairstyle.

I guess I don't really braid-out, I twist out.I can't wait for the weather to get better...I will get my hair colored and twist out!

BronzeBrown

This may sound somewhat pessimistic, but I'm a natural 4a (have been natural for 3+ yrs) and in all of the braid-out attempts I've made, I've never been able to achieve a smoothly wavy, down-falling result. From discussions with other 4a's and b's it appears to be a common experience. I don't think it's possible for a braid-out on unmanipulated tightly-coiled hair to yield the same result as one done on relaxed hair. I say 'unmanipulated' because blowdrying and then braiding out works successfully. If any high-shrinkage 4's have actually had success with this method, please share your tips.~

bellydancer

Thanks guys. Nay, your hair looks JUST like mine but ur braid outs look nothing like mine! Thats why I was wondering what people put on it because it's just not working for me! lol Thanks to all you though. I'm going to have to experiment because I'm tired of this bun.

bellydancer

[ QUOTE ]
Peachi said:

It gives me that "lenny kravitz" look. I wore it once in the village and I think the "look" the hair gave me was the reason why this newgroups from australia stopped me to ask me questions related to 9/11 and its effect on new yorkers. I was look hip and trendy with that hairstyle.

I guess I don't really braid-out, I twist out.I can't wait for the weather to get better...I will get my hair colored and twist out!

[/ QUOTE ]lol

Nay

[ QUOTE ]
bellydancer said:
Thanks guys. Nay, your hair looks JUST like mine but ur braid outs look nothing like mine! Thats why I was wondering what people put on it because it's just not working for me!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a lot of trial and error. What's weird is that the longer I've been doing braidouts, the better they recently have been turning out. I'd swear that my hair is getting "trained" or more manageable or something.

I believe what has been key for me is all of the preconditioning when I wash my hair with Creme of Nature nourishing conditioner. It really makes my hair soft, but not mushy.

At first I was on the hunt for the perfect braidout product. I tried shea butter, black & sassy creamy set, Pantene moisturizing creme. They were all okay, but still not quite right.

Now I've found that just my wet hair and Liv creamy hair dressing is working out the best.

Anyway, keep trying different combinations, and hopefully your hair will get "trained" into a fabulous braidout!!

babyblue

I see nobody has mentioned the use of gel in this thread? Bellydancer perhaps a good gel might give u stronger definition in your braidouts. do medium size braids on clean freshly washed hair and dry overnight.

usually mine are able to hold with plain old hair cremes

NGC

[ QUOTE ]
babyblue said:
I see nobody has mentioned the use of gel in this thread? Bellydancer perhaps a good gel might give u stronger definition in your braidouts. do medium size braids on clean freshly washed hair and dry overnight.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bellydancer,

Maybe you can try ORS Lock and Twist gel. That might work.

bellydancer

baby blu,
i'm afraid to use gel in my hair. When I think of gel I think of all those girls I grew up with that had brown gel all over their faces trying to get baby hair and all those rock hard styles. I'm afraid of gel lol.

NGC,
Have you ever used that? I heard it was more like a moisturizer than a gel. Just because it says 'gel' i'm afraid to use it.

Nay,
I've never heard of Liv hairdressing. Where did you find that?

I think I'm just going to have to experiment. Braid outs sound like a very good protective style once I get the hang of it.

loverofnaps71

I attempted to use the Organic Root Stimulator's Loc and Twist gel a couple of times. Both times it made my hair hard and matted (the twists were only in for a few days). I think some products work well for some and not so for others. I've heard people praising ORS, yet hating beeswax, petrolium and other products. I tried using BB Pine Tar and Grandma Wilkees Super Glo grease. Both products worked wonders because they kept my hair moisturized and prevented matting and tangling. (I have very fine hair.) I used these products on the actual hair, not the scalp. They are great!

NGC

I've used ORS L&T with no problems. But I've heard that many other folks can't stand it (similar to lon71's situation). I'v ealso heard it flakes in some hair.

I've also used stuff like CD HHB and Elasta QP Mangao Butter with success, so I think you'll probably have to continue experimentng until you find something that works for you.
IMO opinion there are good gels and bad gels. It depends on the ingredients and how your hair reacts to them.

The good news is you have a lot of products to try.
The bad news is you have a lot of products to try.

babyblue

[ QUOTE ]
bellydancer said:
baby blu,
i'm afraid to use gel in my hair. When I think of gel I think of all those girls I grew up with that had brown gel all over their faces trying to get baby hair and all those rock hard styles. I'm afraid of gel lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol gel isnt that bad, you just have to find a good one. i like fantasia ic gel with sparklelites. it gives a soft hold without all the cruch and flakiness. Lets jam gel is good too. I only recommend those two because other gels give me crispy dry hair.

Also u can try a mouse like product. Fantasia ic hair polisher styling foam or K7 foam wrap setting lotion might help.

If these products cause dryness mix them or layer them with a moisturizer. good luck

loverofnaps71

I love using Elasta QP Mango Butter, but that stuff is kinda expensive and the tub of goo that they give you is not that much. If you have a thick head of hair that requires more product, you might want to reconsider. But, it's good stuff indeed! Smells a lot better than my pine tar, that's for sure!

Kha

[ QUOTE ]
babyblue said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I use Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel, which holds very well and sdoes not leave the hair hard or flaky.

nijilah

I haven't done a braid out in maybe 6 months, but when I did, I used some type of leave-in conditioner, oil, and aloe vera gel.

Also, sometimes I plait my hair in about 10-15 plaits and other times, I cornrolled my hair into 8 cornrolls. So maybe a few large cornrolls will work for you.

Also, I always put perm robs or rollars on the ends.

miss_brown

Excellent advice here. I'm natural too, and I find that the most important things are:

1. Braid hair while DRENCHED (this is key)
2. Use a non-alcohol holding agent like curling wax, Let's Jam, etc.
3. The portion of hair you are braiding must be COMPLETELY DETANGLED before braiding it (if it's already matted up, then the curl will not be defined at all!)
4. Using rolled up foil to curl the ends of each braid (this gives tight spirals that mimic the crinkles of the braid out)
5. Most important: Letting hair DRY COMPLETELY. If the hair doesn't dry all the way, the dampness will cause it to frizz up, which messes up the look. Usually, this takes 24 hours for me because of the drenched hair, grease, and no additional heat (I let it airdry). I've noticed that the longer I leave the hair in cornrows or twists, the prettier the braidout looks.

Good luck!

bellydancer

thanks to all of you. I plan on trying alot of the methods recommended. I never thought to use Aloe Vera gel. I forgot all about that stuff!!! Once I figure out what works it's going to be my new summer protective style.

ChocoKitty

I just thought I'd chime in at the last minute...
Point Blank: I'm lazy at times. Usually my braid outs are unintentional... After I wash my hair I always spray Infusium on the ends and then spray on my heat styling protectant "Elasta QP Silk". I braid my hair in 4 section and sit under the dryer. As I loosen each section I run the blowdryer over them which stretches the length of my "braidout" and makes it wavier and silky looking.

For the summer, I'm going to try some of the methods mentioned in this post too!