Brazilian Straightener/ Relaxer

This is is me 1 day after my latest attempt at enhancing my natural "fabulous-ness". There is a new hair treatment on the market. "Its not a process".
Called the Brazilian Keratin Straightening Treatment. Its closely related to the Asian Heat Therapy but is more suited to "Our Kinda" hair.

The experience:
Everyone knows I have the most hair per square inch of all ya'll, so I took me 8 hours, two people 2 and a half bottles of treatment (normally takes 3/4 bottle according the the stylist) to blow dry and get to this point. After that the stylist flat ironed my hair to seal the treatment. This look will last 3 - 4 months depending on shampoos. I keep calling it a treatment because basically if you think of it like one of those semi permanent rinses that after you wash and wash your hair it goes back to the original color, under this Keratin is my unruly curls that is one or two shampoos with a "clarifying" shampoo away. Don't really plan to heat style my hair because YOU KNOW my curls are my signature... I need some waves right? After the first shampoo, we will see how much wave will stay and see if I like the more relaxed curl look. The up side is I can break out the chi at any time with less blow dryer time to get this look for 3 months.

According to the hairdresser, the more damaged the better. The up side is that you can do this to relaxed hair or colored hair without impunity (If your looking to grow out your relaxer or have tons of grey hair like me). I don't sell for this person nor did she ask me to, but I thought you would enjoy seeing the results. If you need more info email me or whatever, but so far its looks fab. What you think?

ShowLetter
ShowLetter

hottnumba said:
This is is me 1 day after my latest attempt at enhancing my natural "fabulous-ness". There is a new hair treatment on the market. "Its not a process".
Called the Brazilian Keratin Straightening Treatment. Its closely related to the Asian Heat Therapy but is more suited to "Our Kinda" hair.

The experience:
Everyone knows I have the most hair per square inch of all ya'll, so I took me 8 hours, two people 2 and a half bottles of treatment (normally takes 3/4 bottle according the the stylist) to blow dry and get to this point. After that the stylist flat ironed my hair to seal the treatment. This look will last 3 - 4 months depending on shampoos. I keep calling it a treatment because basically if you think of it like one of those semi permanent rinses that after you wash and wash your hair it goes back to the original color, under this Keratin is my unruly curls that is one or two shampoos with a "clarifying" shampoo away. Don't really plan to heat style my hair because YOU KNOW my curls are my signature... I need some waves right? After the first shampoo, we will see how much wave will stay and see if I like the more relaxed curl look. The up side is I can break out the chi at any time with less blow dryer time to get this look for 3 months.

According to the hairdresser, the more damaged the better. The up side is that you can do this to relaxed hair or colored hair without impunity (If your looking to grow out your relaxer or have tons of grey hair like me). I don't sell for this person nor did she ask me to, but I thought you would enjoy seeing the results. If you need more info email me or whatever, but so far its looks fab. What you think?

ShowLetter
ShowLetter
Can't see the pics. If we have questions, can't we just post them in the thread for all to see?

I found the ingredients to the Brazilizn straightener; what do you ladies think?:
Ingredients: Distilled water; Polysorbate-20; keratin; silicon ; extract; hydrolyzed protein; polyquatemium; essences; hydrolyzed wheat protein; metilpabeno; propilparabeno; isotiazolina; mineral oils; chocolate aroma; cacao extract; metassulfato; metassulfato of berrentrimonio; chloride of cetrimoniocetearet-20; creatina; colorant and bht.

Interesting - don't know what to think.

pinkskates said:
I found the ingredients to the Brazilizn straightener; what do you ladies think?:
Ingredients: Distilled water; Polysorbate-20; keratin; silicon ; extract; hydrolyzed protein; polyquatemium; essences; hydrolyzed wheat protein; metilpabeno; propilparabeno; isotiazolina; mineral oils; chocolate aroma; cacao extract; metassulfato; metassulfato of berrentrimonio; chloride of cetrimoniocetearet-20; creatina; colorant and bht.

pinkskates said:
I have no idea what to think, it could be crap or the next best thing. I can't read and recognize ingridents that well, but it looks like it contains the same things as a protein conditioner.

Originally posted by StrawberryQueen
I have no idea what to think, it could be crap or the next best thing. I can't read and recognize ingridents that well, but it looks like it contains the same things as a protein conditioner.

Hmmm...we need our Hair Gurus to breakdown the ingredients; SistaSlick and the others we need your help. What's in the ingredients that would temporary straighten AA hair without the aide of harsh chemicals:confused:

Many of these products do not go well with already relaxed hair because of chemical interactions. So it would be interesting to see what is in these products.

One ingredient that I know is in the Brazilian Keratin Straightening Treatment is formaldehyde (sp?).

This treatment not only coats the hair with keratin, it also straightens the hair. The Flat iron used to seal the treatment is set at a whopping 450 degrees F. For very tightly coiled AA hair they recommend getting a mild relaxer before the treatment, in order to achieve the best results.

The Brazilian Keratin Treatment, uses the same process with a 450 degree flat iron, but I'm not sure if it contains formaldehyde. This treatment does not straighten the hair, it is just coating the hair shaft with keratin, think of it as an advanced protein treatment.

Both treatments last up to 3 months.

The Tanagra or Nanomax, does not have formaldehyde in it, and it uses a warm iron at 120 degrees F, just to evaporate any moisture from the keratin mist. It does not straighten your hair it only infuses and seals keratin into your hair strands.

Tanagra/Nanomax, with regular wear and tear, lasts as long as your hair's keratin. However Chemical treatments, direct heat etc. will break it down quicker and more frequent treatments would be needed.

Last edited:
Afrolinda said:
It is true what they say about Brazilian straighteners, my sister is the one who told me about it they have diverse straighteners and relaxers much more than in the U.S. for black people since they come in sooooo many different shades and types of hair that is why they decided to start so many different straighteners for black people made of natural ingredients ( no chemicals :) ). Here are some more:

produtos_capa.gif

Henê da amazônia is a natural straightener made of herbs

Alisa e tinge: This will straighten your hair and color it at the same time made of fruits and herbs.

I heard really good reviews about Brazilian straighteners until now, most of them are especially made for "Afro textured hair" the friend of my sister ( she's black and has coarse hair type ) is used to it and she likes it a lot. I 'm just having a hard time to choose from all of those straighteners. I could give you the websites but it's in portuguese. Anyway if anybody is interested I can still give you the adress;) .

See ya'll gon make a sista hop on a plane to Brazil! This is very tempting...hmmm

This sounds really good too. Yes can you please pass on the address? Brazil is only an 1 hour plane ride away...

Originally Posted by pinkskates
Originally posted by pinkskates
Hmmm...we need our Hair Gurus to breakdown the ingredients; SistaSlick and the others we need your help. What's in the ingredients that would temporary straighten AA hair without the aide of harsh chemicals:confused:
Bumping for SistaSlick and our other hair gurus!

I can't wait to hear what Sistaslick ha sto say. Sistaslick I'm a 4 a/b natural, is it worth to use one of those straighteners or should I stick to just flat iron my hair 4 to 5 times a year. I really don't know which is the best. Please help me.

Aight whew!!!:lol:

Okay, Hmmm… this one is pretty interesting. I’ve never heard of a treatment like this before :scratchch

Here’s what I gathered on the Brazilian and my take on it:

The process is a temporary one, and it does not actually alter the disulfide linkages in the hair. In fact, it does not chemically straighten the hair at all. It is more of a “physical/mechanical” type of straightening if you will.

You see, besides with caustic cuticle lifting chemicals, another way that you can straighten (or change the shape) of the hair is through manipulating the formation and destruction of hydrogen bonds in the hair. This is pretty much the same process that occurs when you flatiron or blow out your hair. Because it involves hydrogen bonding primarily, the reintroduction of water reverts the hair. This Brazilian technique takes advantage of this type of bonding which explains why the process is not permanent. This Brazilian process affects the hydrogen bonding in your hair, not your disulfide (permanent curl) bonds. This is also why you can’t wash your hair for a few days after the process. You’ll encourage hydrogen rebonding too soon and your natural texture will re-emerge. :)

The ingredient list, like SBQ said, reads like a regular protein conditioner. It contains the standard water, conditioning agents, proteins, silicone, and that basic formula is followed by preservatives (parabens) which are usually found in products at less than 1-2%. This is followed by mineral oil, fragrance, and what looks like some acid pH adjusters. ( I can’t speak a lick of Spanish so I am not sure what the metassulfato of berrentrimonio is? Probably a pH adjuster. I usually ignore ingredients listed after the parabens anyway. :lol:

The combination of keratin, heat, and formaldehyde is what is “straightening” the hair. The keratin conditioner portion is simply reinforcing the cuticle layers like a regular protein treatment would, but the difference here is that the treatment is “heat sealed” into the hair shaft at a super high temperature with the flatiron.

The silicone is very high up on the ingredient list, more than likely for coating the shaft and providing a barrier against heat damage, since this process requires an inordinate amount of heat with the flatironing to straighten the hair. The formaldehyde spraying part seems to be what freezes the hair into that flatironed configuration for the long term. That is the part that finishes off the process and helps protect that seal.

I don’t see any ingredient in there that would permanently straighten the hair. And that follows up with what I’ve read on the web about this treatment. It only lasts 2-4 months (as long as the seal is there) and each washing and conditioning session (or any introduction of a water based product) would lessen the seal’s stronghold on your cuticle causing your hair to return back to normal. Hydrogen bonding!

Hydrogen bonds are pretty superficial, the break and reform everytime we wash and dry our hair-- which again is why this treatment loses its power and with every wash.

This straightening process is like someone doing a protein treatment, flat ironing your hair, and spraying a protective super holding spray on the hair to make the hair resist reversion. It’s almost like a “Super Press.” :lol: It is not changing any of your internal hair bonds, everything is happening on the outside of the cuticle.

My concerns:
Now, From there, my main concern would be whether or not your ability to actually moisturize the hair would be compromised. The seal on the hair is pretty strong if it is able to last 2-4 months, so dryness may be a concern for our textured hair types. :ohwell:

If you're a very frequent washer or do co-washes alot, you may not get your money's worth from this treatment. The washing is just going to wash your straighteness down the drain sooner.

Then, formaldehyde is used in lots of hair products, but apparently they are gassing your entire head to ensure each strand is properly sealed. The concentration of formaldehyde is really low though like 2% though if I am not mistaken. The stylist is wearing masks and other protective gear (almost like in a nail shop), so if you are concerned about inhaling the fumes (which are toxic) you might want to consider that. Also I've read that the formaldehyde smell lingers on the hair for a few days after the session, probably because you cannot wash your hair for several days in. :ohwell: So that might be uncomfortable.

Then obviously the extreme heat you are subjecting your hair to during this process cannot be overlooked. Since the treatment is temporary, you'll have to treat the entire head every 2-4 months (no newgrowth here). Now I do not know if this procedure makes your hair pin straight no matter what you do and eliminates the need for further thermal straigtening day to day-- or if it's like a relaxer and still needs a good flatironing to touch it up after wash-- if it's the latter, that sure is quite a bit of heat to be putting on the hair. Especially if water and moisture are discouraged and ruin the effects of the treatment. :ohwell: If you wash your hair often or really need lots of moisture in general, you'll have to do the process more often to keep it nice.

The Summary: :drunk:
Your natural curl pattern is still there, it is just temporarily held into a straight arrangement much like it would be if rollerset your hair. Just frozen like that a little longer with the finishing formaldehyde spray.:lol:

Last edited:
I can't wait to hear what Sistaslick ha sto say. Sistaslick I'm a 4 a/b natural, is it worth to use one of those straighteners or should I stick to just flat iron my hair 4 to 5 times a year. I really don't know which is the best. Please help me.

I kinda answered this in that super long post. I don't know exactly how straight this technique gets the hair and whether or not after a wash, you''d still need to use heat to make it look good. If you still have to flatiron on top of this treatment, I don't think it'd really be too good for your hair. :ohwell:

I read that they flat iron on a low 120 degree temprature

I wonder which one that was? There was one that was 120 and the other was 450? :perplexed Off to go look :spinning:

I found this:

1)Is there a chance of over or underprocessing

As with any process the possibility exists that the hair may be overprocessed.This will occur if
a)not enough product is applied to the hair
b) the product is diluted
c0 the hair is not properly ironed(sections not thin enough ,not at the proper temp of 450,or not enough passes of the iron"

Last edited:
I was interested in the one that is more like a protein treatment on steroids. The funney thing is I was thinking to my self what about moisture. Based on what I read about the the one thats like a protein treatment. It seems that if you reguraly use chemicals that could break down the sealed keratin bonds than it is less effective . If this isnt damaging I would love an every three month protein treatment from helll.:blush:

Sistaslick did you ever find out about the temperture thing??
What do you think about the one that isnt a straightner??

I kinda answered this in that super long post. I don't know exactly how straight this technique gets the hair and whether or not after a wash, you''d still need to use heat to make it look good. If you still have to flatiron on top of this treatment, I don't think it'd really be too good for your hair. :ohwell:

Thank you so much Sistaslick.

Sistaslick did you ever find out about the temperture thing??
What do you think about the one that isnt a straightner??

I think it was Foxy earlier in the thread that said the straightening treatment uses 450 degrees of heat, and the regular nanokeratin treatment uses 120. Everything I've found on the web about it corroborates that.

I really don't know enough about the nanokeratinization/tanagra(sp?) treatment to say anything definitive. My first thoughts are that it's just a deep pentrating protein treament that uses hydrolized keratin with a temporary, mini force field around it.:lol: From the way the manufacturers talk, this treatment is supposed to be revolutionary and permanent. But everything I've learned about hair pretty much says that no protein or conditioning treatment, no matter how molecularly small the proteins are, is going to have a permanent effect on the hair. As soon as water is introduced to the hair, those hydrolyzed bonds are destroyed, which is why protein overload can be corrected with moisturizing regularly and naturally over the course of a few protein-free washes.

Now they do mention that the keratin treatment is sealed into the hair, so that may be why the protein seems to have longer lasting effects, but it still isn't permanent like they claim-- and you still need follow up treatments.

The parent company for this treatment says that the treatment permanently plugs the holes or flaws in the hair strand. Okay. And then it goes on to say that, but since the hair strand is always under attack from day to day stressors, you still need to do maintenance treatments. That there, sounds very fishy to me. How is it that a treatment that covers the entire length of the shaft forming a permanent seal is still able to be re-damaged by day to day things? Basically how many times does this permanent seal have to be replaced? Doesn't seem too permanent. :look: Touch ups along the entire length of the shaft every 2-3 months even though the shaft has been "permanently treated" or recovered as they say? Just seems like an aphogee treatment minus the hoopla and expense to me. :lol:

If the treatment were filling those breaks and tears permanently in 1-3 treatments, then that company would be soooo out of business.:lol: Where's the money in permanent solutions? :lol: I mean seriously, you cannot permanently reconstuct the hair strand. Period. I've never ever read any professional literature to support this, and most of the literature in fact speaks against such a thing. And you also have to realize that this claim is coming from a company that is looking to sell you a service, not an independent laboratory or with independent chemists and researchers. I would take those claims with a grain of salt.

You can temporarily plug gaps and spaces, place a seal over that, and see it last a long time... but like most external conditioning treatments, the results are affected by the introduction of water to the hair over time. They don't tell you that part. They blame your need for re-applications on the damage you get from combing and daily wear and tear, not the fact that water is dismantlying the precious "seal" along with superficial bonds with every wash. I would say that you might as well do your own treatments at home. You're still going to have to repeat them.

Last edited:
Back