Breakage, breakage breakage!!!

Glamiam

I am fed up with my hair!! :nono: I am relaxed between sl and apl and no matter what I do..I get breakage! The only time I do not get breakage is after I blowdry my hair:perplexed. I feel like i've tried everything. I used a moisturizing conditioner to see if the problem was that my hair needed more moisture and it doesn't help. I tried a protein treatment, nothing. :nono: It seems as though the breakage is happening in the middle of my head because when i comb the back i don't see any breakage. I just don't know what to do anymore. And it's not like my hair feels dry and rough, its really smooth:ohwell:

I had a relaxer last week ending my 4month stretch,and got a trim hoping that it would help but needless to say it didn't. Maybe i should shorten the middle and have my hair cut into layers? I dunno ladies, im on the verge of cutting it into a short bob even if all my progress goes down the drain.:sad: I just cannot stand to see little pieces of hair all over whenever i do anything with my hair.

baglady215

Sorry this is happening. :(

What is your reggie? What products are you using for moisture? I was suffering breakage and constant moisturizing DCs cured me.

I'm sure other ladies will be along to help you too.

femmedusiecle

1) it's possible that you could still have some relaxer in your hair. do you neutralize alot after you relax? some people, i've read, will neutralize 3-5 times, leaving the shampoo in for about 2 mins each time!

2) maybe it's build up! try using a chelating shampoo (i rec. joico), followed by a moisturizing shampoo...then do a protein DC followed by a nice, juicy moisturizing DC. this way, you'll be knocking all the solutions for breakage off the checklist while keeping the moisture/protein balance. know what i mean?

hth :)

Your Cheeziness

What about manipulation? Do you pick at that area a lot, brush it, secure a scarf or anything? Do you take a well rounded multivitamin?

destine2grow

I was suffering a lot from breakage. I am just starting to get a hold of it. I know for me it was too much manipulation in on area. (I like to keep my hands in that area) The other part was my hair needed protein. I have up the protein in my regi. I am also using seamless combs now. Which has helped. I am also taking a multivitamin and iron. Which I am finding key for me because of my anemia.

I agree with everyone else. We will need to know more to help you. Also make sure that the relaxer was rinse out all the way. Just because you are having breakage does not mean you have to cut your hair. I have done that for years and I think that hendered me from learning how to deal with breakage. I think it is important to know how to deal with any obstacle that may arise in your HJ.

Keep in mind that your HJ, is like anything else in life, takes dedication, determination and motivation. This is something that definitely can be corrected with out you havint to cut your hair. I would really hate for you to lose all the progress that you have acheived. I wish you the best of luck!!!

Glamiam

Ok thanks ladies. Well I doubt its the relaxer because I've been experiencing this for a long time now. But basically I wash and dc every week. I've recently been using Herbal Essencess 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner, then I would either use Doo gro mega thick Instant repair conditioner, or if I feel I need protein I would use Aphogee 2 min treatment. I must admit I am a product junkie when it comes to conditioner and I use alot of Dominican products to condition also. To moisturize, I either use EVOO, EVCO, and elasta qp mango butter. I really don't like loading up my hair with product because i feel it cooperates better when I use less.
To dry my hair I either roller set on my own or blowdry.

My hair is waaaaay better now than it was a year or 2 ago when i used to use the flat iron frequently. Now that i've stopped, i have really thick strands and my hair seems stronger so experiencing breakage just really puzzles me. Since my hair is a new length and closer to my goal I want to wear it out but im forced to hide it.:nono:

Glamiam

What also puzzles me is when i comb my hair to roller set while wet, i don't experience the breakage. Also right after i blowdry i see no breakage either. But if i comb my hair the day after or manipulate it ..then the breakage comes.

Your Cheeziness

How does your hair feel in the days after a rollerset? Using a serum (when I was relaxed) helped keep my hair smooth and prevent breakage. I got to a point where you are and I just couldn't pinpoint the breakage. It took a minute for me to figure it out, but I got a professional trim, and started using Aveda Damage Remedy and the problem was solved.

Glamiam

How does your hair feel in the days after a rollerset? Using a serum (when I was relaxed) helped keep my hair smooth and prevent breakage. I got to a point where you are and I just couldn't pinpoint the breakage. It took a minute for me to figure it out, but I got a professional trim, and started using Aveda Damage Remedy and the problem was solved.

To be honest, I feel like it feels and cooperates better after i get it done by the Dominicans. Sad i know:sad: But this week for example, i washed, dc, blowdried and pincurled (Sunday)and the next day it was fine. Then i moisturized and did some bantu knots so that i can take them out yesterday(Tuesday),and that's when things turned around.Its like the middle section of my hair just kept on breaking:nono: It also tends to feel dryer than the rest of my hair.

Flawlis1

Start taking a vitamin with at least 2000 mcg of biotin in it, and MSM helps also. My mother has alot of breakage in the middle of her head, and I told her it's from wearing ponytails..... do you wear a ponytail? You can also do scalp massages with an oil to help circulate blood flow through your scalp...... In my opinion, I think it's a bad idea to "stretch" relaxing your hair, that causes breakage.... at least it did for me. I've been wearing relaxers for 20 years..... I retouch mine every 6 weeks, and I do not use a blow dryer either (it's been 5 years), I wrap it wet and let it air dry, then I flat iron with the Sedu. I don't think you should cut it short just because you have a few missing pieces, you just need to have patience now and wait for it to grow back. Good Luck :^)

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
It seems like you have a lot of protein in your regime. Mango butter did that to my hair when I used it daily.

Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

LushLox

I don't think your conditioners are "heavy weight" enough. You should use a moisture rich conditioner. I would suggest you try either, Keracare Humecto, ORS replenishing Pak or Silk Element Megasilk Moisturising treatment. DC with heat if you can.

**WonderWoman**

I know how frustrated you are OP! I used to battle the same kind of breakage. An LHCF member, Sistaslick writes excellent articles of hair care. Thanks to her articles my hair is thriving, I take better care of my hair and my hair has grown from NL to APL .... approaching BL. I refer to her articles whenever I have the occasional hair drama.

Sistaslick has an article on what causes breakage in the crown area and fixing the breakage.

I hope they help!

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5613354/top_5_causes_of_crown_area_hair_breakage.html?cat=7

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5613894/how_to_fix_crown_area_hair_breakage.html?cat=69

Last edited:

jerseygurl

Not a new member
I have to agree with CreamTee, you need a "heavier" moisturizer than what you use right now. The list she gave you is fine and I'd like to add Aubrey Organics Island naturals conditioner. It had herbs that help stimulate your scalp. Since I've never used the mango butter, I can't comment on it but would recommend Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Leave in.

Hope it helps.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I was experiencing breakage from under processed hair but it's somewhat under control at the current moment - *knocks on wood*

I was:
1. manipulating hair way too much with messing with it daily trying to stop breakage
2. putting too much product in my hair with daily moisturizing/sealing, etc
3. using too much protein

I was doing all these things in an effort to combat breakge. Using Mizani H20 Nighttime for about a week was very helpful.

Now I'm:
1. Using protein a little less frequently.
2. Not moisturizing/sealing as frequently.
3. Just rolling with the flow. Trying to listen to my hair for what it's wanting at that moment rather than using product in advance to derail what may happen in the future.

Glamiam

I don't think your conditioners are "heavy weight" enough. You should use a moisture rich conditioner. I would suggest you try either, Keracare Humecto, ORS replenishing Pak or Silk Element Megasilk Moisturising treatment. DC with heat if you can.

Thanks soo much..do I get these at sally's?

Glamiam

I was experiencing breakage from under processed hair but it's somewhat under control at the current moment - *knocks on wood*

I was:
1. manipulating hair way too much with messing with it daily trying to stop breakage
2. putting too much product in my hair with daily moisturizing/sealing, etc
3. using too much protein

I was doing all these things in an effort to combat breakge. Using Mizani H20 Nighttime for about a week was very helpful.

Now I'm:
1. Using protein a little less frequently.
2. Not moisturizing/sealing as frequently.
3. Just rolling with the flow. Trying to listen to my hair for what it's wanting at that moment rather than using product in advance to derail what may happen in the future.

This is just like me. =( Parts of my hair was under-processed a couple years ago and now that they've grown and became the ends of my hair, im wondering if this is whats causing the breakage. Im going to try to get a good moisture rich conditioner and hopefully it will help.

Irresistible

It seems like you have a lot of protein in your regime. Mango butter did that to my hair when I used it daily.

Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App
I was gonna say that Mango butter can be the devil

It's original use is as a heat protectant

I don't consider it a good moisturizer

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I was gonna say that Mango butter can be the devil

It's original use is as a heat protectant

I don't consider it a good moisturizer

Agreed. Mango butter is not the best moisturizer. I tried it and it dried out my hair. I've also heard it does the same to a lot of other members on the board.

Sent from TopNotch1010's iPhone using LHCF

Glamiam

Agreed. Mango butter is not the best moisturizer. I tried it and it dried out my hair. I've also heard it does the same to a lot of other members on the board.

Sent from TopNotch1010's iPhone using LHCF

Thanks for telling me this. And to think all this time I thought it could be helping, instead its probably making matter worst :sad: