Breakage of all sorts, HELP Please

Russet

Hello All!

Ok, so I'm almost 2 months post already and I have been experiencing MAJOR breakage ever since my setback in late March. I have been DCing once to twice a week religiously and I have been cowashing frequently as well. I don't think I am lacking any protein in my regimen since whenever I do so I see even more breakage until I up my moisture. My hair also does not feel too mushy, it just feels fragile. Like I am scared to even touvh or pull on it while wet because it'll just snap off.

I would appreciate any tips or suggestions and will also answer any and all questions.

Oh and today while my mom was blowdrying my hair after a rollerset, she noticed a patch of hair at around my nape area that had broken off at the line of demarcation.

TIA!!

Russet

I usually see hair while my hair is wet. Washing, Co-Washing, detangling while wet, etc. And when I take my rollers out. Once my hair is done I guess I've combed out all the sheds, and broken hairs because I run my fingers through it and lightly comb it and I still don't see anything which I am happy about.

If it is moisture overload, should I do a protein treatment right away? Or should I incorporate DCs with protein in them to help recover my hair just incase I already have enough protein, if that makes any sense?

Thank you all for replying!

Americka

I usually see hair while my hair is wet. Washing, Co-Washing, detangling while wet, etc. And when I take my rollers out. Once my hair is done I guess I've combed out all the sheds, and broken hairs because I run my fingers through it and lightly comb it and I still don't see anything which I am happy about.

If it is moisture overload, should I do a protein treatment right away? Or should I incorporate DCs with protein in them to help recover my hair just incase I already have enough protein, if that makes any sense?

Thank you all for replying!

When was the last time u did a protein treatment and what kind of treatment was it?

frizzy

Maybe you can start out with mayo and eggs, or yogurt mixed with conditioner for a protein treatment.

Russet

When was the last time u did a protein treatment and what kind of treatment was it?

I did an egg treatment last week followed by DC forgot which one I used, and before that I had used Affirm Reconstructer about 3 weeks prior.

This week after I co-washed mid week I used ORS Replenishing Pack and everytime I wash I spray some CHI Keratin Mist before my I put it any leave-ins, which is why I don't think I need any protein :/ I really need help I know.

ms.blue

I agree with everyone about the moisture overload and recommending a protein treatment. Also maybe you should stop co-washing and combing your hair while wet. Try limitting the amount of manipulation of your hair to see if that will work.

supermodelsonya

You need protein in your hair stat or else it will continue to break. Ive suffered a setback due to moisture overload and it's nothing nice. It took weekly protein treatments for a month (moderate protein) to get my hair back to normal.

Aphogee 2 step should do the trick. ORS is very light protein.

BTW Don't do 2 step every week or else you will have the opposite problem. Do a Aphogee 2 Step and then follow up with a reconstructor in a week or two.

Last edited:

nymane

Would this be too harsh for someone like me who is not sure on whether or not I need protein? TIA

Sounds like your giving your hair a lot of moisture and the egg conditioner you tried may not be strong enough. I think the two step would help...just follow it up a moisture DC

beans4reezy

Sounds like too much moisture. I would cut down or eliminate the cowashing completely. I know you mentioned some protien, but your regimen still sounds unbalanced, as in too much moisture vs. protien.

LittleLuxe

I feel like that too OP, this whole moisture/protein thing is difficult to get a hold of and I'm still suffering with breakage. It's annoying and it's the only setback I'm dealing with now.

I thought when you were suffering moisture overload your hair was supposed to feel mushy, stretch overly and then break. My hair doesn't do any of that and yet every response is 'moisture overload' how are you really supposed to know or understand the signs of moisture overload?

supermodelsonya

I feel like that too OP, this whole moisture/protein thing is difficult to get a hold of and I'm still suffering with breakage. It's annoying and it's the only setback I'm dealing with now.

I thought when you were suffering moisture overload your hair was supposed to feel mushy, stretch overly and then break. My hair doesn't do any of that and yet every response is 'moisture overload' how are you really supposed to know or understand the signs of moisture overload?

I guess not everyone's hair responds the same way. When I got moisture overload, my hair didn't feel mushy but it broke off every time I looked at it LOL. It broke very easily but my hair was really "soft" as opposed to "hard and brittle".

Also, it helps to look at your regimen to see what you are lacking/overdoing. The OP stated that she cowashes frequently on top of DC'ing sometimes 2x a week.

That's a lot of moisture even for the driest hair! LOL

Moisture is great for any regimen but protein is what locks the moisture in the hair strands. If you have to cowash frequently and DC 2x a week just to keep the hair moisturized, you need to make an adjustment.

LittleLuxe

Hmmm, my hair is breaking an uncomfortable amount but it does feel soft as opposed to brittle.

I only shampoo, deep condition and do a leave in everyother week. Before the shampoo I pre-poo with oil to try and help with tangles and sometimes after shampooing I try to put one of those 3-minute conditioning treatments you rinse off in the shower. On the opposing weeks I do oil rinses instead of shampoo and deep conditioner and just finish with a leave in. On a daily basis I moisturize sometimes 1-2x a day and spray Chi Keratin 1x (before I apply moisturizer).

So would I still be a victim of moisture overload? I thought I was doing really basic stuff and was afraid to up the Chi since I was sure my hair wasn't getting enough moisture (because of it snapping as opposed to stretching and feeling mushy)

If I do need more protein would you recommend I add a protein component during my wash days like Joico Reconstructor or instead increase and spray the Keratin mist 2x a day?

darlingdiva

I agree with everyone about the moisture overload and recommending a protein treatment. Also maybe you should stop co-washing and combing your hair while wet. Try limitting the amount of manipulation of your hair to see if that will work.

I agree with the bolded. Definitely stop combing your hair while wet b/c it could be encouraging the breakage. I also read somewhere that wet combing could be harsh on the cuticle.

supermodelsonya

Hmmm, my hair is breaking an uncomfortable amount but it does feel soft as opposed to brittle.

I only shampoo, deep condition and do a leave in everyother week. Before the shampoo I pre-poo with oil to try and help with tangles and sometimes after shampooing I try to put one of those 3-minute conditioning treatments you rinse off in the shower. On the opposing weeks I do oil rinses instead of shampoo and deep conditioner and just finish with a leave in. On a daily basis I moisturize sometimes 1-2x a day and spray Chi Keratin 1x (before I apply moisturizer).

So would I still be a victim of moisture overload? I thought I was doing really basic stuff and was afraid to up the Chi since I was sure my hair wasn't getting enough moisture (because of it snapping as opposed to stretching and feeling mushy)

If I do need more protein would you recommend I add a protein component during my wash days like Joico Reconstructor or instead increase and spray the Keratin mist 2x a day?

Sounds like moisture overload again. CHI Keratin Mist is a light protein because it can be used every day like the Aphogee Keratin Mist. However if you are relaxed, it may not be enough for your hair.

I recommend a protein treatment like the Joico and try to incorporate some protein like Aphogee 2 Min on a regular basis.

frizzy

Maybe try a light vinegar and water rinse, or some type of porosity treatment. Your hair might be over porous.

30something

From my experiences, protein leave in will not be your shot of protein. Chi Kertin mist doesn't have those reconstructing protein. The protein in it really just assist in retaining moisture and keeping your hair feeling soft (Hydrolyzed wheat protein, silk protein). It helps keep your strong, but its not really going to do much to keep you from moisture overload. After 2 months post usually most people have to introduce more protein. Sounds like moisture overload... or just not enough protein. Don't have to be moisture overload to need protein, esp if you are 2 months post.

Exactly how much breakage are you getting anyway?

LittleLuxe

From my experiences, protein leave in will not be your shot of protein. Chi Kertin mist doesn't have those reconstructing protein. The protein in it really just assist in retaining moisture and keeping your hair feeling soft (Hydrolyzed wheat protein, silk protein). It helps keep your strong, but its not really going to do much to keep you from moisture overload. After 2 months post usually most people have to introduce more protein. Sounds like moisture overload... or just not enough protein. Don't have to be moisture overload to need protein, esp if you are 2 months post.

Ahh...learn something new everyday. I have the Joico Reconstructor but was too afraid to use it on days that I didn't relax because of fear of protein overload. :grin: Isn't it ironic how the thing we run from fastest could be what we need most. So...I take it I shall add the joico to my wash days and see what improvements take place. Thank you ladies!

And...I'd say about 10 strands or so whenever I fiddle with my hair.

shasha8685

Like some of the previous posters mentioned, you may be over manipulating your hair OP. Some people can take the co-washing and DCing 2x week, others cannot.

Also, when you apply your DC to your hair, are you applying the DC to your roots or to your ends? It may help to apply your DC the same way you would your relaxer (esp. since you are observing breakage at the line of demarcation).

HTH!

frizzy

You should DC at least weekly. I used to DC twice a week until I got enough moisture into my hair strands.

I generally go light with the heavy protein and add a little of it as needed between relaxers. I'm thinking of doing a full-blown Aphogee 2-Step, soon, but I usually just add the 2-Step to another conditioner and leave it on for about an hour. Then proceed with a moisturizing DC.

Russet

ITA, some people's hair may not show the same signs of moisture/protein overload as the next person's.

When I just rinse the conditioner out of my hair without me even detangling I see lots of hair come out, on wash day when I wash then style my hair I see hair in my combs from when I detangle to when I am setting my rollers. IMO this is way too much. Before my setback my regime was on point. I would DC once a week, or every 5 days. I would also rollerset then blow dry every week or 5 days, and just keep my hair in pin curls or wrapped when I was in the house. I wouldn't get any breakage at all, and I would see very minimal shedding. Ever since my setback though, it's as if I lost complete control of my hair.

Like some of the previous posters mentioned, you may be over manipulating your hair OP. Some people can take the co-washing and DCing 2x week, others cannot.

Also, when you apply your DC to your hair, are you applying the DC to your roots or to your ends? It may help to apply your DC the same way you would your relaxer (esp. since you are observing breakage at the line of demarcation).

HTH!

I focus mostly on my ends or the middle of my hair to be exact, and then put some more focusing on my roots, and massage.

Thank you all for your advice. Sounds like I should go ahead and do a protein treatment using the Aphogee 2-step, and see if anything changes.

Hopefully it does, I will update later this week.

Thanks again.