Severe Breakage..please help

sunshinelady

Hi Ladies,

So, you all remember my henna/coconut milk/lime disaster. Well I finally got my hair to get soft again, but now my hair is washing down the drain by the handfuls when I shower. I've been cowashing everyday with either Jason Natural Sea Kelp conditioner, Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine, and Nature's Gate herbal and I clarify with Pantene Clarifying Shampoo.

I have been natural, no heat APL super coily 4b for about 7 years and I have been experiment when things to loosen my curl. Now, my hair texture seems to have changed since my henna disaster and it is falling out. My hair is limp and the curls and waves are more defined.

I am still getting massive tangles from the shed hair. It seems like my hair stretches and then breaks in long strands. I've visited many of the previous threads on breakage and tried a few things, tonight I used Emergencee and it did nothing.

Please help y'all. What can I do? Do I have to cut it off? :(

sunshinelady

P.S. My hair is not porous. I have been wearing my hair in a phony afro pony to try out the baggy method. I would say that baggying could be part of it, but the strands are 10 inches or longer most of the time.

cheetarah1980

You might have too much moisture going on so your strands are weakened. Is your hair shedding or breaking? If it's shedding, it might be something internal. If it's breakage then it's a matter of getting the right balance between protein and moisture and putting as little stress on your hair as possible. I know when I was experiencing breakage last summer the best thing for me to do with my hair was to DC then twist it up. The lack of manipulation for weeks at a time gave my hair a much needed break from picks, combs, and ouchless bands.

PinkSkates

It seems like you are doing way too much to your hair. The CO washes maybe too drying for your hair. I have seen many ladies complain about that. Try and remember what you were doing to your hair before it started breaking' and get back to a more simplier routine. My hair responds to a clean scalp, moisturized end,s and minimum manipulation. As long as we are breathing and our scalps are clean and clog free so the oils can flow down the hair shaft our hair will grow.

jengrady

sunshinelady said:
P.S. My hair is not porous. I have been wearing my hair in a phony afro pony to try out the baggy method. I would say that baggying could be part of it, but the strands are 10 inches or longer most of the time.

Seem like you may be doing too much in the conditioning department. A stretch and break, plus limp lifeless hair usually means too much protein. Cut out the multi-conditioning, then the bagging and the fifty/eleven products.

I would suggest a wash with a clarifying conditioner, then a whole head baggie with just Alma Oil. I recently had a breakage crisis recently and I solved it by sleeping overnight with Alma Oil on my hair and then covering my hair with a plastic cap and scarf to keep the heat in. Next day a had no breakage.

Lotus

sunshinelady said:
Hi Ladies,

So, you all remember my henna/coconut milk/lime disaster. Well I finally got my hair to get soft again, but now my hair is washing down the drain by the handfuls when I shower. I've been cowashing everyday with either Jason Natural Sea Kelp conditioner, Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine, and Nature's Gate herbal and I clarify with Pantene Clarifying Shampoo.

I have been natural, no heat APL super coily 4b for about 7 years and I have been experiment when things to loosen my curl. Now, my hair texture seems to have changed since my henna disaster and it is falling out. My hair is limp and the curls and waves are more defined.

I am still getting massive tangles from the shed hair. It seems like my hair stretches and then breaks in long strands. I've visited many of the previous threads on breakage and tried a few things, tonight I used Emergencee and it did nothing.

Please help y'all. What can I do? Do I have to cut it off? :(

It sounds to me like your hair over moisturized. Try an AVC rinse, a heavy protein treatment (followed by a DC) and cutting back on the daily co-washing.

tnorenberg

sunshinelady said:
Hi Ladies,

Any chance you may be having an alergic reaction to Iodine in the natural sea kelp conditioner? I would start off by eliminating that from your CW rotation.

sunshinelady

Thanks ladies,

All good points. I will try all of them.

The problem for me is with my 4b hair, I have to co-wash it to get into a ponytail. :(

metro_qt

STOP~!!

my hair would do the same thing if i ever changed my routine when I was natural. (yeah, i did the coconut and lime thing too)
Then it would get all limp... not even wavy... not curly, just frizzy and dry.

My best friend at that point was Porosity Control. (Check My thread called Porosity Control is the Truth)

Yes, that stuff is *that* good. I have stocked up on bottles and bottles. You just need to return your hair's ph level back to normal.

Wash your hair as usual, and then deep condition with the porosity control for about 3 hours. longer if you can. do it for 3 or 4 days and you will definitely see a difference. I promise.

It can be used in any point in your wash cycle after you get your hair back to normal, eg. as a prepoo, or as a normal conditioner...

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
pinkskates said:
It seems like you are doing way too much to your hair. The CO washes maybe too drying for your hair. I have seen many ladies complain about that. Try and remember what you were doing to your hair before it started breaking' and get back to a more simplier routine. My hair responds to a clean scalp, moisturized end,s and minimum manipulation. As long as we are breathing and our scalps are clean and clog free so the oils can flow down the hair shaft our hair will grow.
I AGREE!!! Leave your hair alone!!!