Breaking Middle

I made it to APL ladies. I couldn't believe it. But my dreams were shattered when my mother told me that the middle part was shorter than the rest of my hair. I know that a BIG CHOP is inevitable, but does anyone have suggestions, something to stop the breakage ? (P.S. I haven't used a ponytail holder since April of 2007.)

I made it to APL ladies. I couldn't believe it. But my dreams were shattered when my mother told me that the middle part was shorter than the rest of my hair. I know that a BIG CHOP is inevitable, but does anyone have suggestions, something to stop the breakage ? (P.S. I haven't used a ponytail holder since April of 2007.)

:nono: I wouldn't say a BC is inevitable. In fact, I would suspect that your hair simply grows that way.... not everyone hair grows 'bluntly' esp. if certain areas grow faster than others......

Are you SURE your hair is breaking off?

I don't know if you wrap your hair or not, but I noticed a few years back that the middle of my hair was breaking from wrapping it faithfully every night. I would switch directions often but still the middle was shorter and showed breakage. I stopped wrapping and the problem was fixed. Now the middle is equally as thich as the rest of my hair. It took a long long time for the thickness and length to catch up with the rest of my hair, but it was well worth it.

Good luck, Hope that helped:)

:nono: I wouldn't say a BC is inevitable. In fact, I would suspect that your hair simply grows that way.... not everyone hair grows 'bluntly' esp. if certain areas grow faster than others......

My hair grows the same way as far as I can recall at least high school. No my hair doesn't grow full blunty. It has only always grown in layers. All that I can do is make sure all my layers are well moisturized and trimmed properly.
Don't agonize over it, your hair is going to do what your hair is going to do. just keep it healthy and moisturized

I agree with Ericka.

I think wrapping my hair might be the culprit for some of my crown breakage. Well, either that or stress.

I'm trying to lay off of the wrapping to see how it does.

I didn't realize that wrapping my hair could cause breakage..omg! I thought that my hair was breaking in the middle due to stress. I have stopped wapping my hair since i am on this moisture/full head baggy kick..but thanks for the info:blush:

This is my first official post (I've been lurking for a few months).
I noticed that my hair broke in the middle from ponytails and leaving it wet. I co-wash every day, but I have to let me hair air dry. Something about the wetness and ponytails just does not work for my hair.

The hair in the middle of my head is shorter than the rest. I think because it grows that way and harsh detangling practices.

A few years back I used to wrap my hair and I too had breakage in the crown :sad:. The stylist at the time kept saying she didn't know what it could be other than stress!! I really wasn't doing much to my hair other than wrapping it everynight. Give your hair a break and try not wrapping for a while and see if that helps.

My hair grows this way, with the middle being the shortest. It's so frustrating but I'm going to keep forging forward.

Are you SURE your hair is breaking off?

ITA! My hair is the shortest in the middle. After joining this forum, I realized that this area needs way more moisture than the rest of my hair- it gets very very dry, quickly. So I babied the area and it is finally looking better- I'm sure that it may never catch up and that it grows the slowest ( I did a BC in '06 and the area still took forever to grow :ohwell:) but paying more attention will help it become healthier and grow to blend in more with the rest of your hair.

I wanted to add that the middle of my hair had severe breakage and it also was very dry compared to all other parts of my hair. I just started taking better care of my hair in January, Recently I started to rollerset my hair and my hair has done a complete 360. The middle of my hair has started to grow and the dry patch in my hair is almost non-existant. I agree with the other ladies a BC is not necessary.

So glad to hear it's not just me with the "middle of my hair is shorter" syndrome. I was thinking I was thinning in the middle or something, but apparently it's just how some folks' hair grows? I will baby that area more--treat it more gently, moisturize more often--and see if it turns around.

The middle of my hair needs much more TLC than the rest of my hair. It tangles easily if I am not careful, but when it is properly moisturized and detangled, it doesn't give me any problems.

This hair (called the crown area) is just more delicate, overall. Peachtree (who has ridiculously long hair) even had a problem with this section at one point and she overcame it.

Either way, I wouln't big chop UNLESS that hair couldn't be covered up by other hair and looked freakish.

I have the same problem - I contributed to my first 14 week stretch and not moisturizing that area enough when I was airdrying - and also stress. Even my sides took a hit - I noticed when I did my last touch up back in December 07 - I was devasted when I saw it and couldn't understand what I was doing wrong - since I was taking care of my care.

Now, I'm 15 weeks post - stretching to 16 weeks. It will take a very long time for that area to catch up with my back. I may due a cute this summer to around shoulder length. I'll have to see how it's progressing once I touch-up. Although I would love to be natural - I think it would be better with my color as well - but I've never had any problems with my color.

ITA! My hair is the shortest in the middle. After joining this forum, I realized that this area needs way more moisture than the rest of my hair- it gets very very dry, quickly. So I babied the area and it is finally looking better- I'm sure that it may never catch up and that it grows the slowest ( I did a BC in '06 and the area still took forever to grow :ohwell:) but paying more attention will help it become healthier and grow to blend in more with the rest of your hair.

I agree with the above statement. When I was applying my moisturizer to my hair I didn't realize I was putting it just on the outer layer of my hair. After my hair broke in the middle I started to part my hair and I now make sure I put moisture on the inside as well as the outside. I especially focus on my part right down the middle, because for me this is the area in the back that I never get. My hair in the middle is now growing and not snapping off. It's a little shorter than the rest of my hair but not as bad as it was before. Hope this makes sense and helps you out! HHG!!

Same problem I have to be very careful and I am almost brastrap and experience some breakage.:wallbash: I know one thiing I was doing is touching the area too much so i always associated it with alopecia and OCD lol. Well I read an ayuveda thread and it said rub an onion w/ washcloth and sqeeze the juice on the spot your having problems with at night. I was like WHAT? Anyhoo I was desperate so I tried it and it works like a charm. I avoid touching that area for fear I will smell like a musty onion and it really cured the itching. I started being consistant on my vit. and as long as its not noticable I dont worry about it and I am surely not gonna all off and start from sctratch. I think all long hair woman have natural bouts of breakage it if we cut all the time our hair can never really reach its healthiest. I also like to use glycerin and water to keep that area soft and pliable. hth

I agree with the above statement. When I was applying my moisturizer to my hair I didn't realize I was putting it just on the outer layer of my hair. After my hair broke in the middle I started to part my hair and I now make sure I put moisture on the inside as well as the outside. I especially focus on my part right down the middle, because for me this is the area in the back that I never get. My hair in the middle is now growing and not snapping off. It's a little shorter than the rest of my hair but not as bad as it was before. Hope this makes sense and helps you out! HHG!!
Thank you for sharing this. I never thought of this. I'm going to start conditioning like this and I'm sure my hair will improve too.:yep:

i'm glad i bumped into this. i thought it was only me. i'm going to baby that area alot more and see how it goes.

good luck

Yes this has started happening to me. It is so annoying. It was doing so well. I hav realised that I don't pay much attention to the section in the middle when I'm moisturising and only tend to moisturise the outer layers.:perplexed
I think its that, combined with a hater who gave me nexxus emergencee, mixed with bleach! lol!!!:lachen:
The world is a funny place.

I've been having this problem since middle/high school and I'm not sure why. It would always break in the middle(not the crown,below the crown). Sometimes I would get it cut b/c that's what some people believed. I'm still battling this problem along w/ my nape. I believe the reason is overprocessing, not sure though. I would say to pay extra attention to that area by moisturizing it more. When you are DCing put a little extra there. Also growth aides don't hurt.

What has helped me is less tension as possible in that area. Also putting castor oil or amla oil on my scalp in that tender area daily and giving it a good circular massage. My hair has thickened up so much in that area, its still weak so I am still in recovery mode. I used to wear phony ponies, or high pony tails and the combs on the phony pony, or bobbie pens would dig in my scalp and actually give me a headache. But I was looking good, so I thought, so I refused to remove it. This was one of my many mistakes in caring for my hair.

I used to wrap my hair, but noticed one side was always shorter than the other, so I stopped that.

Well years later since I damaged that area I have to be really careful not to apply too much pressure as well as give it plenty of moisture.

Don't cut your hair... unless that is what you will like to do. My middle is my sensitive part and it breaks easily b/c 1 it's a different texture (much thinner than the rest of my hair 2 it's my stress point. My sista and I have the same problem and for years I would cut it off to make it grow all together. Now my hair is healthy and guess what I have that broken piece in the middle. I can tell it's growing back. I just make sure I keep the section moist and leave it alone.

This is my first official post (I've been lurking for a few months).
I noticed that my hair broke in the middle from ponytails and leaving it wet. I co-wash every day, but I have to let me hair air dry. Something about the wetness and ponytails just does not work for my hair.

Yes I am thinking mine is the same way my hair does not like to be wet all the time, does not like too much manipulation while wet, and does not like being underprocessed (texlaxed)!!

Yes this has started happening to me. It is so annoying. It was doing so well. I hav realised that I don't pay much attention to the section in the middle when I'm moisturising and only tend to moisturise the outer layers.:perplexed
I think its that, combined with a hater who gave me nexxus emergencee, mixed with bleach! lol!!!:lachen:
The world is a funny place.

that sounds HORRIBLE!!

Yes I've heard of people doing this before, but never in a million years thought it would happen to me. I used it once, thinking to myself that - this girl, who's usually a hater, is being really nice to me, to give me this bottle!
So I tried it and luckily didn't leave it in till long - that thing broke off a good portion of hair. But I'm not worried, You live and learn. I already have a bottle of nexxus emergencee so I really didn't need another one. She was obvioulsy offering for a reason.
But I have this site! She does not. :grin: It will grow back.

Lesson to learn: Don't accept products from people who you KNOW to be wicked

Back