Broken Pieces Everywhere?!@#???!!*

4HisGlory

WARNING >>>>>>>> Long winded post ahead.

I have extensive breakage throughout my head and I have no idea where it came from.

When I say extensive, I mean my WHOLE head. It is so bad, when I went to got my hair trimmed last week, the stylist said "Your hair is much thinner, what's going on?" I had noticed it to, but I didn't really come to understand it until today. Makes no sense, but all of the pieces of the puzzle finally came together. What's going on is I have all these short pieces of hair broken off in my whole head. I first noticed it about a month and a half ago. I thought it was just breakage on the sides/top from puffs. I had been wearing puffs daily for about 4 months out of shear laziness and limited time. When I finally decided to do a style with my hair, I noticed the breakage and figured in the was from the daily tension on wet hair. I saw 2 or 3 pieces, but rationalized it wasn't that bad. Well what I finally realized today is that it is everywhere. It's not just in the puff zone. This is so devestating!!!

I put in box braids about a month ago and could not figure out for the life of me why my roots were fuzzy. The braid fuzz was to be expected and not bad IMO. What baffled me, was that my roots were puffy, fuzzy, and "fro-ish." Now it all makes sense . . . The hair in between the parts and I mean every part is super short, so it all actuality it was a fro.

Has anyone else had damage like this? It's not just a few patches. I can find short pieces every time I part my hair somewhere different. What would cause this?

Now that fully understand the extent of the damage, I need to know how to proceed. How do I recover from this? How do I figure out what caused this? it can't just be the puffs. What do I do about all these short patches/hairs? Do they need to be trimmed? I REALLY do not want to cut all my hair off again, but I know these hairs will never catch up with the rest. I could use some help coming up with a game plan.

P.S. - I have already sworn off puffs and anything elastic. I haven't put them in my hair in over a month, and won't be for a very long time.

Attachments

• top2.JPG
    top2.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 206
  • side2.JPG
    side2.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 197
  • Back.JPG
    Back.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

virtuenow

I would like to know the answer as well. This is the story of my natural hair from the past year. All these short, broken hairs, it looked like I'm growing a new head of hair! I decided to hide my hair away for a very long time to nurse it back to health. I have about 6 months left to go in my hide-away!

WyrdWay

Are you sure this wasn't a sudden shed? Have you changed medicines or something drastic?

4HisGlory

Prior to noticing the damage my regi was to co-wash 2 -3 times per week with Yes! to Cucumbers. I washed once a week with Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus and then followed up with Yes! to Cucumbers conditioner. I used Kinky Curly Knot Today and KCCC on my puff. No Deep Condition or Protein treatments [shakes head in shame]. I have also discontinued the use of Yes! to Cucumbers.

When I first noticed the damage, I did a shampoo with Shea moisture Raw Shea Butter, followed by a protein treatment with Nexxus Emergencee and a steam treatment with Elasta QP Soy Oyl ultrahydration.

I don't exactly have a consistent regimen at this point. When I had the box braids, I co-washed with Oyin Honey Hemp. I also washed, maybe 4 or 5 times with VO5 clarifying shampoo (b/c of swimming), followed by Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter shampoo and Oyin Honey Hemp conditioner. I also used the Oyin hair dew daily and sealed with castor oil.

Last week I did another protein treatment with the Nexxus Emergencee, along with a Shea Moisture wash and steam treatment with Oyin Honey Hemp.

I went to the salon 2 days later . . . not sure what all she used.

Today was the first time I washed in a week. I washed once with Giovanni 50:50 moisture balance shampoo (not really sure why). I used Nexxus Humectress conditioner in the shower, then did a steam treatment with Elasta QP Soy Oyl Ultrahydration. I followed that with Oyin Hair Dew and Castor Oil.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I call lack of protein as the culprit, followed by damage due to only using one hair style for an extended period of time.

4HisGlory

Are you sure this wasn't a sudden shed? Have you changed medicines or something drastic?

I have always been a heavy shedder, but this is beyond shedding. I don't take any medications and I have been drinking water like crazy. I have also been running 3 -4 times per week.

lamaria211

My suggestion is buy yourself some nice wigs and baby your hair with moisture and dc weekly! It will get better

virtuenow

I chocked it up to bad shedding and the lack of quality conditioning/moisture sessions. Now I deep condition weekly w/a protein-moisture balanced organic cond'r. I would like to pinpoint how the shedding came about in the first place, though...

4HisGlory

My suggestion is buy yourself some nice wigs and baby your hair with moisture and dc weekly! It will get better

Sorry, but I hate wigs. My head is huge so they usually don't fit. Their always so snug, it feels like I'm wearing a helmet. LOL! I'm usually paranoid that they look fake too . . . so that doesn't help.

I'm contemplating individual braids, tree braids, or a sew-in. I am definitely committed to weekly deep conditioning while my hair is loose, but can you or should you DC with extensions?

I chocked it up to bad shedding and the lack of quality conditioning/moisture sessions. Now I deep condition weekly w/a protein-moisture balanced organic cond'r. I would like to pinpoint how the shedding came about in the first place, though...

RIGHT!

I'm glad that it's not just me. BTW, What conditioner are you using?

ManeStreet

virtuenow said:

if bad shedding is going on, get your iron levels checked, thyroid & vit d too.

virtuenow

Sorry, but I hate wigs. My head is huge so they usually don't fit. Their always so snug, it feels like I'm wearing a helmet. LOL! I'm usually paranoid that they look fake too . . . so that doesn't help.

I'm contemplating individual braids, tree braids, or a sew-in. I am definitely committed to weekly deep conditioning while my hair is loose, but can you or should you DC with extensions?

RIGHT!

I'm glad that it's not just me. BTW, What conditioner are you using?

I am in extensions (sew in in back, micros in perimeter) and I deep condition weekly. In fact, I started this challenge http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=619159. I Deep condition w/ Aubrey Organics GPB on dry or damp hair and I also cut shampooing my hair. I only use it on my scalp using diluted poo in an applicator bottle.

I did that and everything checked out as normal. Very frustrating. This is a good idea for anyone who hasn't done it yet.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I think both of these played a part, but the hairstyle doesn't explain the breakage all over.

The lack of protein would explain it though. I know protein isn't the answer for everyone, and everyone's first answer is moisture....but in my experience, without protein, my hair will not accept moisture. It doesn't get mushy, it gets dry. It splits and breaks, and sheds, and SSK's. And when hair isn't 100%, putting it into 1 style all the time is just going to cause more problems. My hair is cranky...it's first response to my nonsense is to fall out. I'm always on the lookout for thinning as a consequence.

Best advice...rework your regimen. Start from scratch. That way you can isolate out the factors that just will never work for you. That's how I figured out that the Denman was trying to bald me, and I was letting it. And if it broke....fix it.

virtuenow

The lack of protein would explain it though. I know protein isn't the answer for everyone, and everyone's first answer is moisture....but in my experience, without protein, my hair will not accept moisture. It doesn't get mushy, it gets dry. It splits and breaks, and sheds, and SSK's. And when hair isn't 100%, putting it into 1 style all the time is just going to cause more problems. My hair is cranky...it's first response to my nonsense is to fall out. I'm always on the lookout for thinning as a consequence.

Best advice...rework your regimen. Start from scratch. That way you can isolate out the factors that just will never work for you. That's how I figured out that the Denman was trying to bald me, and I was letting it. And if it broke....fix it.

MrsJaiDiva good advice. I think my hair is the same. My hair didn't start accepting moisture until I began doing the regular weekly protein treatments w/AO Gpb. You said you are on the constant lookout for thinning. How do you check for this? I want to start monitoring b/c my hair likes to respond to to stress by immediately breaking off (w/o notice!)

Seamonster

Seems like you might look into two things. Did you reve up your exercise, but eat the same way? We need more nutrition when we exercise more. Your swimming regie seems like it could have been chlorine eating through your hair too.

Iluvsmuhgrass

This. I am anemic, have PCOS, and my vit D levels were VERY low. Once I got that taken care of, I upped my protein and so far so good. EDTA: Sorry I see you checked out as normal.

Don't get discouraged. You probably want to limit too much manipulation.

virtuenow

This. I am anemic, have PCOS, and my vit D levels were VERY low. Once I got that taken care of, I upped my protein and so far so good. EDTA: Sorry I see you checked out as normal.

Don't get discouraged. You probably want to limit too much manipulation.

No, that was me that checked out as normal, haha. I don't think the OP responded to that question. I guess I kinda hijacked the thread! I have been curious about this for a while though.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
MrsJaiDiva good advice. I think my hair is the same. My hair didn't start accepting moisture until I began doing the regular weekly protein treatments w/AO Gpb. You said you are on the constant lookout for thinning. How do you check for this? I want to start monitoring b/c my hair likes to respond to to stress by immediately breaking off (w/o notice!)

Well, unfortunately for me the postpartum hair loss left me with a thin front & crown. So, when things start going wrong it usually shows up there first. I also pay close attention to my edges as well. When I start seeing too many short hairs, I know what I'm doing isn't working. I know the area by my temples is really thick, so when the temple braids started feeling thinner, I knew the Denman was thinning me out bad.

Short answer: I know what I have when I add something new to my reggi. So, when something doesn't work I can tell, because I'm looking hard to see if it will work.

Demi27

I'm sorry OP. I hope it gets better.

You might want to also check and make sure that it's not Trichorrhexis nodosa. I'm not saying that it's definitely the case, but I remember there being a few threads about it a long time ago where some of the ladies were having the same issue and they discovered it was actually this. It's a little more intense than just "regular" breakage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002420/

Trichorrhexis nodosa is a problem in which thickened or weak points (nodes) along the hair shaft cause your hair to break off easily.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Your genes may play a role in whether or not you develop trichorrhexis nodosa.

Certain things you do to your hair -- such as blow-drying, over-brushing, perming, or excessive chemical use -- appear to trigger the condition.

In some cases, trichorrhexis nodosa may be caused be an underlying disorder such as hypothyroidism, argininosuccinicaciduria, Menkes' kinky hair syndrome, ectodermal dyspalsia, Netherton syndrome, or trichothiodystrophy.

Symptoms

Your hair may appear patchy or like it's not growing.

In African-Americans, looking at the scalp area using a microscope shows that the hair breaks off at the scalp area before it grows long.

In Caucasians, the problem often appears at the end of a hair shaft in the form of split ends, thinning hair, and hair tips that look white

The rest of the info is in the link I posted.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
nappygirl, sorry about this issue! It seems like you are trying to get to the root of the problem so it wont happen again, yes? I totally understand that! It would be a shame to grow back 3 inches and have it break off--how awful! Some questions:

1. You are natural, but are you transitioning? Any relaxed ends left? I used to get damage like that when I went too long between relaxers.

2. Change your diet recently? Eating less or more of something? Introduce something new?

3. How's your water intake been the last few months?

4. Are you stressed out more than normal? Extreme stress makes my hair fall out as it does to many.

5. What implements are you using? Types of brushes? Combs? Cheap ones can do MAD damage!

6. Are you fine stranded or thick stranded? Fine haired ladies have to be ultra gentle or the hairs just rip.

7. When was your last trim/dust? You might be the type who has to trim more often. It could simply be lack of taking off splits before they go too far.

My suggestions? First, have a hard look at your current products and establish a reggie. Maybe there's just an ingredient or some common demoniator your hair doesn't like. Lots of folks say their hair cant stand shea! Example: I wash in the sink and one day noticed (about a month ago) tiny broken hairs slipping down the sink in the suds! Not just a few, but LOTS. WTF?! This was a clarifier so I washed the next week with my regular sulfate free 'poo. Same dayum thang. Revelation? My hairs can't stand sudsy shampoo, even sulfate and paraben free. I fully switched to mud washing and no more hairs washing away. Amazing!

Next, Start taking a multivitamin. There are some specifically for hair strength and growth. Even a women's one a day will help your ng be stronger and more resilient.

I'm a lover of tea and convinced that teas for hair are the truth! (link in siggie). I was a heavy shedder with mad scalp eczema. Finding the right herbs made my shedding normal, less breakage and the ng is amazing! Eczema is almost non-existant.

Anyway, hope you get a handle on this. I understand your frustration. Good luck.

4HisGlory

I always go to my regular 1 yr checkup and things always test fine. They are usually show concern about my thyroid, because my neck has a slight bulge, which in an indication of a wonky thyroid but they have done the blood work 3 yrs in a row and it always came back normal. She didn't trust the bloodwork when I was pregnant 2 yrs ago so I also had a neck ultrasound. Came back ok for the thyroid, but they found I had a small goitre. I was told nothing to be concerned about. I will definitely follow-up on my next appointment in September.

I only started using protein when I noticed the damage, so it's been less than 2 months. I really can't tell a difference in how my hair feels or reacts. I've really only been using it because I read in another thread that it helps your hair to accept moisture.

How do I know if it's working or if that's even what I need? When should I be able to see a difference in my hair? How often should I use it? When I went to the hairdresser years ago, this is something that I would have relied on them to tell me but I know I need to learn for myself. It's just all so confusing and scientific. :drunk:

I should probably let go of the Denman as well. I had been using it once a week to detangle, but I'm not super careful with it. I start off good, but become impatient after 15 - 20 min of detangling only half my head. I have heard a few snaps and crackles but figure my hair was super strong and could handle it. *Lightbulb moment* It's hard to feel fully detangled without it though. What's the alternative?

Seems like you might look into two things. Did you reve up your exercise, but eat the same way? We need more nutrition when we exercise more. Your swimming regie seems like it could have been chlorine eating through your hair too.

I started doing Couch 2 5k in March along with Myfitnesspal app. I was eating less calories but VERY nutritious. Less processed and more fresh veggies and fruit, baked meats. I completed Couch 2 5k in May but have continued regular running. My diet has slacked off somewhat, but still healthy for the most part. I have definitely stopped overeating. But I found the breakage before my eating slacked.

I considered the chlorine not helping the situation, but the breakage definitely occurred before I started swimming. I have also been very conscious of immediately washing my hair with good clarifying shampoo with long lathers and long rinses to make sure it's all out.

How does your hair normally feel?- strong, soft, brittle, dry, etc... What's the porosity like?

I used to consider my hair strong (could withstand pulling and tugging) but dry. Mentally, I know those two things don't make sense, but that's what I thought.

Sooooooo . . . I just remembered something else. My hair used to be VERY VERY dry at the root and moisturized on the end. I thought this was unusual because I had always read that kinky hair was the opposite. I thought the kink/coil prevented the sebum and other essential oils from making it's way down the hair shaft thus causing split ends and breakage. My hair was very dry and crunchy at the roots. What does this mean? This is why I joined the castor oil challenge and started massaging it into my scalp. I have noticed a drastic difference since day 1.

I have no idea about porosity. This subject continually baffles me. I have read numerous threads, but I need the condensed version for "dummies". Again, the conversations tend to get scientific and then I start to shut down. I by no means consider myself a dummy though.

I'm sorry OP. I hope it gets better.

You might want to also check and make sure that it's not Trichorrhexis nodosa. I'm not saying that it's definitely the case, but I remember there being a few threads about it a long time ago where some of the ladies were having the same issue and they discovered it was actually this. It's a little more intense than just "regular" breakage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002420/

Trichorrhexis nodosa is a problem in which thickened or weak points (nodes) along the hair shaft cause your hair to break off easily.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Your genes may play a role in whether or not you develop trichorrhexis nodosa.

Certain things you do to your hair -- such as blow-drying, over-brushing, perming, or excessive chemical use -- appear to trigger the condition.

In some cases, trichorrhexis nodosa may be caused be an underlying disorder such as hypothyroidism, argininosuccinicaciduria, Menkes' kinky hair syndrome, ectodermal dyspalsia, Netherton syndrome, or trichothiodystrophy.

Symptoms

Your hair may appear patchy or like it's not growing.

In African-Americans, looking at the scalp area using a microscope shows that the hair breaks off at the scalp area before it grows long.

In Caucasians, the problem often appears at the end of a hair shaft in the form of split ends, thinning hair, and hair tips that look white

The rest of the info is in the link I posted.

Whoa! This requires more investigation. Off to read . . . How do you test for this condition?

@nappygirl, sorry about this issue! It seems like you are trying to get to the root of the problem so it wont happen again, yes? I totally understand that! It would be a shame to grow back 3 inches and have it break off--how awful! Some questions:

1. You are natural, but are you transitioning? Any relaxed ends left? I used to get damage like that when I went too long between relaxers.
Natural for 7 yrs (chopped 3 times)

2. Change your diet recently? Eating less or more of something? Introduce something new?
Been eating more healthy (fresh fruits, veggies, and baked meats)

3. How's your water intake been the last few months? Pretty good . . . I usually get 80 - 100 oz of water a day.

4. Are you stressed out more than normal? Extreme stress makes my hair fall out as it does to many. I've been stressed, but not anymore than I have been in the last year. I was also under the impression that stress related hair loss tends to fall out in patches. No?

5. What implements are you using? Types of brushes? Combs? Cheap ones can do MAD damage!

I use the black comb pictured below, a denman, a boar bristle brush (for smoothing), rat tail comb (for parts only). I have eliminated the boar bristle brush only recently.

6. Are you fine stranded or thick stranded? Fine haired ladies have to be ultra gentle or the hairs just rip.

NO IDEA? How ordinarily have VERY thick hair, but I no this doesn't have anything to do with the size of the strand. How do I tell?

7. When was your last trim/dust? You might be the type who has to trim more often. It could simply be lack of taking off splits before they go too far.

I trimmed in January, dusted in late May. I didn't do a very good job and didn't trust myself to do more, so I went to the salon for a trim last week. (June 20)

My suggestions? First, have a hard look at your current products and establish a reggie. Maybe there's just an ingredient or some common demoniator your hair doesn't like. Lots of folks say their hair cant stand shea! Example: I wash in the sink and one day noticed (about a month ago) tiny broken hairs slipping down the sink in the suds! Not just a few, but LOTS. WTF?! This was a clarifier so I washed the next week with my regular sulfate free 'poo. Same dayum thang. Revelation? My hairs can't stand sudsy shampoo, even sulfate and paraben free. I fully switched to mud washing and no more hairs washing away. Amazing!

Next, Start taking a multivitamin. There are some specifically for hair strength and growth. Even a women's one a day will help your ng be stronger and more resilient.

I'm a lover of tea and convinced that teas for hair are the truth! (link in siggie). I was a heavy shedder with mad scalp eczema. Finding the right herbs made my shedding normal, less breakage and the ng is amazing! Eczema is almost non-existant.

Anyway, hope you get a handle on this. I understand your frustration. Good luck.

Last edited:

4HisGlory

Ok, so here's where I'm at so far:

1. Follow-up with doc and recheck Thyroid. Test iron and vit d levels. In the meantime, start taking a multi vitamin.

2. Need lesson and schooling on:
a. Determine type of strands
b. Porosity levels
c. Protein - When? How much? How do you know it's working?

3. Hide the Denman & find an alternative method of detangling.

4. Weekly steam treatment/DC.

5. Low manipulation protective styles. Currently in 2strand twists. Sorry @manter26, I dropped out of the box braid challenge.

6. Oil roots with castor oil 3 - 4 times a week and massage. Seal with castor oil as needed.

7. Patiently wait for my hair to grow back.

8. Get more info on Trichorrhexis nodosa.

Last edited:

manter26

I used to consider my hair strong (could withstand pulling and tugging) but dry. Mentally, I know those two things don't make sense, but that's what I thought.

I have no idea about porosity. This subject continually baffles me. I have read numerous threads, but I need the condensed version for "dummies". Again, the conversations tend to get scientific and then I start to shut down. I by no means consider myself a dummy though.

If you think your hair is strong and dry you could need more moisture. I have to look back at your original post but if I remember correctly, you shampoo a lot. If you have to shampoo always follow with a DC.

As for porosity, does your hair take long to get wet? Does it soak up water and get stretched out easily from water? Does it dry quickly or take a long time to dry? Those questions might be easier to answer because it's something you would notice without having to do a test or whatever. Plus, if you haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary you could have normal porosity.

4HisGlory

Yes, I had been shampooing alot due to the swimming. I always followed up with the Oyin honey hemp conditioner. Just rinsed out. Then applied Oyin Hair dew and seal the ends with Castor oil. But, this was also AFTER I knew I had the breakage. So it didn't cause the breakage.

Before I knew about the breakage, I was just co-washing a few times a week and shampooing once a week. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, my hair takes a long time to get wet. Once I get it fully wet, it tends to take a long time to dry. Like when I used to do my puffs, the center of my head would still be wet 8 hrs later. If/when I let my hair dry naturally it looks dry, but the roots would still be wet 3 - 4 hrs later. Diagnosis?

4HisGlory

@manter26 - I also added some info about the dryness that I have experienced at my roots.

My hair used to be VERY VERY dry at the root and moisturized on the
end. I thought this was unusual because I had always read that kinky
hair was the opposite. I thought the kink/coil prevented the sebum and
other essential oils from making it's way down the hair shaft thus causing
split ends and breakage. My hair was very dry and crunchy at the roots.

Do you know what would make this happen?

manter26

Yes, I had been shampooing alot due to the swimming. I always followed up with the Oyin honey hemp conditioner. Just rinsed out. Then applied Oyin Hair dew and seal the ends with Castor oil. But, this was also AFTER I knew I had the breakage. So it didn't cause the breakage.

Before I knew about the breakage, I was just co-washing a few times a week and shampooing once a week. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, my hair takes a long time to get wet. Once I get it fully wet, it tends to take a long time to dry. Like when I used to do my puffs, the center of my head would still be wet 8 hrs later. If/when I let my hair dry naturally it looks dry, but the roots would still be wet 3 - 4 hrs later. Diagnosis?

Sounds like low porosity to me. Check out the support thread that's out there. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=612057

My hair tends not to dry if in a style as well. I have to wear it out for a while before putting it up in a puff or other style.

@manter26 - I also added some info about the dryness that I have experienced at my roots.

My hair used to be VERY VERY dry at the root and moisturized on the
end. I thought this was unusual because I had always read that kinky
hair was the opposite. I thought the kink/coil prevented the sebum and
other essential oils from making it's way down the hair shaft thus causing
split ends and breakage. My hair was very dry and crunchy at the roots.

Do you know what would make this happen?

Hmm, I don't know about this one. I did see some posts suggesting the same thing in the low porosity thread. Maybe they can help you out.

virtuenow

@nappygirl you asked how you know if the protein or other products are working. You should notice an immediate difference. With AO gpb I notice a difference right away in the feel of my hair. Further each week your hair should feel better and more moist to the touch. If you are getting no reaction to your products, it may be time to switch it up and keep looking for your signature product. Also, lhcf women suggest you coat your hair in coconut oil and/or conditioner before you go swimming. Do this on damp hair and you will not have to use these harsh, stripping shampoos.