Broken Pieces Everywhere?!@#???!!*

Kindheart

I said this before ,cowashing caused severe shedding to me ,perhaps your hair doesn't like all that manipulation on top of being off mositure-protein balance.
I suggest you to simply wash your hair once a week and not to over moisturize your hair as it can actually cause breakage ,lamosca mentioned this before.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I only started using protein when I noticed the damage, so it's been less than 2 months. I really can't tell a difference in how my hair feels or reacts. I've really only been using it because I read in another thread that it helps your hair to accept moisture.

How do I know if it's working or if that's even what I need? When should I be able to see a difference in my hair? How often should I use it? When I went to the hairdresser years ago, this is something that I would have relied on them to tell me but I know I need to learn for myself. It's just all so confusing and scientific. :drunk:

I should probably let go of the Denman as well. I had been using it once a week to detangle, but I'm not super careful with it. I start off good, but become impatient after 15 - 20 min of detangling only half my head. I have heard a few snaps and crackles but figure my hair was super strong and could handle it. *Lightbulb moment* It's hard to feel fully detangled without it though. What's the alternative?

I considered the chlorine not helping the situation, but the breakage definitely occurred before I started swimming. I have also been very conscious of immediately washing my hair with good clarifying shampoo with long lathers and long rinses to make sure it's all out.

I used to consider my hair strong (could withstand pulling and tugging) but dry. Mentally, I know those two things don't make sense, but that's what I thought.

Sooooooo . . . I just remembered something else. My hair used to be VERY VERY dry at the root and moisturized on the end. I thought this was unusual because I had always read that kinky hair was the opposite. I thought the kink/coil prevented the sebum and other essential oils from making it's way down the hair shaft thus causing split ends and breakage. My hair was very dry and crunchy at the roots. What does this mean? This is why I joined the castor oil challenge and started massaging it into my scalp. I have noticed a drastic difference since day 1.

It took a few months and a trim for my hair to start feeling good again, after reintroducing protein into my reggi. How much, and how often are all up to your hair...it will let you know when you're doing to much, because your hair will dry out or feel hard. I think 1-2x a month with a medium protein should be enough to start. Don't try to get it all in at once...that's no good either. If you feel like your hair will accept more, give it more. If it feels like 2x's a month is too much, do less.

Anything that makes your hair snap & crackle is your enemy. That includes not being patient with detangling... I started finger detangling, and detangling in sections with my seamless Bohn comb...much less damage than the Denman.

Regarding moisture: The scalp is the same skin as your face. Not everyone has oily scalps, or faces...some people have dry skin there, and this might be you as well. Stay away from harsh cleansers. Try coconut oil as well as castor. I actually use a mix of both for my scalp and hair.

Last edited:

brittle_hair

OP to be quite honest, i think its the chlorine from swimming, I remember years ago when I was at school i ended up with a similar thing - back then I had a wave nouveau...

Demi27

nappygirl said:
Whoa! This requires more investigation. Off to read . . . How do you test for this condition?

Sorry for the late response. I think one of the ways was looking at how your hair looked. Apparently you will see little white bulbs at the end of the breakage point. They say it almost looks as if the strands of your hair have exploded.

Keracare ( if I'm not mistaken) used to make a shampoo that was specifically for this condition. I don't know if they still make it now.

Taurusgirl

I am experiencing this too:(. I'm pretty sure my problem is to many puffs and wash and goes and not taking the time necessary to detangle my hair properly. A protein conditioner made my hair worse. I'm assuming from what I've read the balance is off. I just started taking hair vitamins and steaming my hair weekly. It looked dry and frizzy even when it's soaking wet. It's getting better. Back to protective styles and never going to sleep in a puff again.

virtuenow

I'm sorry OP. I hope it gets better.

You might want to also check and make sure that it's not Trichorrhexis nodosa. I'm not saying that it's definitely the case, but I remember there being a few threads about it a long time ago where some of the ladies were having the same issue and they discovered it was actually this. It's a little more intense than just "regular" breakage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002420/

Trichorrhexis nodosa is a problem in which thickened or weak points (nodes) along the hair shaft cause your hair to break off easily.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Your genes may play a role in whether or not you develop trichorrhexis nodosa.

Certain things you do to your hair -- such as blow-drying, over-brushing, perming, or excessive chemical use -- appear to trigger the condition.

In some cases, trichorrhexis nodosa may be caused be an underlying disorder such as hypothyroidism, argininosuccinicaciduria, Menkes' kinky hair syndrome, ectodermal dyspalsia, Netherton syndrome, or trichothiodystrophy.

Symptoms

Your hair may appear patchy or like it's not growing.

In African-Americans, looking at the scalp area using a microscope shows that the hair breaks off at the scalp area before it grows long.

In Caucasians, the problem often appears at the end of a hair shaft in the form of split ends, thinning hair, and hair tips that look white

The rest of the info is in the link I posted.

This is good info. I'm studying up on this condition now. I think this may be what was wrong! This is one of the treatments suggested--> Excerpt http://www.drgreene.com/qa/trichorrhexis-invaginata-and-trichorrhexis-nodosa: Both acquired forms of trichorrhexis nodosa will disappear within about 4 years, if the trauma to the hair shafts is stopped. In the meantime, cream rinses and protein conditioners are helpful.