BSL to WSL How long?

Lucia

Just curious ladies, How long did it really take to get form BSL to WSL? How many inches is was it for BS to WST?
Any WSL ladies about?
Now if You're BSL going on to WSL how long to you think it will take, how many inches from BS to WST?
TIA

camellia

It took me about 3 1/2 to 4 years. But I treated my hair TERRIBLY during that time.

I rarely washed, maybe once every two weeks.

I flat ironed my dirty hair every couple of days to get it really straight.

I used vaseline before flat ironing to "make it shiny":eek:

I NEVER used moisturing conditoner. I used whatever Pantene products my husband bought and I used clarifing shampoo maybe once or twice a year.

I used to rake through my hair with hairbrushes and combs with close set teeth.

I used a regular metal flat iron on the highest setting!:eek:

I'm soooo lucky I'm not bald now! :lol:

Once I cut off my fried split ends and started treating my hair properly it grew like wildfire.

Lucia

camellia said:
It took me about 3 1/2 to 4 years. But I treated my hair TERRIBLY during that time.

I rarely washed, maybe once every two weeks.

I flat ironed my dirty hair every couple of days to get it really straight.

I used vaseline before flat ironing to "make it shiny":eek:

I NEVER used moisturing conditoner. I used whatever Pantene products my husband bought and I used clarifing shampoo maybe once or twice a year.

I used to rake through my hair with hairbrushes and combs with close set teeth.

I used a regular metal flat iron on the highest setting!:eek:

I'm soooo lucky I'm not bald now! :lol:

Once I cut off my fried split ends and started treating my hair properly it grew like wildfire.

:eek: No you didn't, you're lucky to even have hair much less, WSL waves. I've actually done that and worse I had highlights too :nono:

camellia

Girl, I knew NOTHING about haircare!

My mother is white with very straight long hair and when I was a child she used to wash my hair and my sisters once a week with whatever shampoo and conditoner happened to be on sale and then pull it back tight into one or two braids with vaseline. She brushed and rebraided our hair everyday adding more vaseline. By the end of the week our hair was so greasy and dirty, it was a nightmare having it washed. :cry3:

I "discovered" curling irons and flar irons when I was about 12 and my mother was glad to let me take over my own haircare. I fried the hell out of my hair, sometimes I would dip the hairbrush in a cup of water and then brush my hair wet, tearing through the tangles. Then I curled the wet hair and heard it sizzle! :eek: I slicked it all down with vaseline after I was done.

I literally burned whole patches of hair off. I had so many short burned sections on my head it wasn't even funny. My hair always had a "burned" smell.

I "taught" my sister who is two years younger how to "do" her hair with the curling iron and grease too. We both thought we were so cute!:lachen: Then she decided using a curling iron or flat iron took to much time and she showed me how to use the reular iron! :eek: We left so much grease on the iron one night that when our father plugged it in the morning he had a fit. We had to buy a new iron for clothes and my sister kept the old one for her hair.

camellia

I stopped frying my hair as often once I got married and pregnant with our first son. I just didn't have time any more. I started washing more frequently too but I still ripped through tangles with wet brushes. I used vaseline and Infusium 23 leave in all the time and I still didn't use a heat protectant when I flat ironed.

Lurking at this board has taught me sooooo much. The difference in my hair is like night and day. The last time I went to visit my mom she told me "Your hair is so pretty! I didn't know it could look like that! What have you been doing?" I felt so happy.

I've been trying to get my little sister to come here and get some tips but she doesn't want to hear it. She told me she still irons her hair after she washes it (about once a month) but she says even when she washes it it doen't really curl up any more.:(

Lucia

camellia said:
I stopped frying my hair as often once I got married and pregnant with our first son. I just didn't have time any more. I started washing more frequently too but I still ripped through tangles with wet brushes. I used vaseline and Infusium 23 leave in all the time and I still didn't use a heat protectant when I flat ironed.

Lurking at this board has taught me sooooo much. The difference in my hair is like night and day. The last time I went to visit my mom she told me "Your hair is so pretty! I didn't know it could look like that! What have you been doing?" I felt so happy.

I've been trying to get my little sister to come here and get some tips but she doesn't want to hear it. She told me she still irons her hair after she washes it (about once a month) but she says even when she washes it it doen't really curl up any more.:(

Subtly, not so much, send her the link ot here, she needs to start lurking. My sis won't hear ish too, she knows it all. so much so her beautiful jet black 3b/c curls went from almost WSL naturally curly to SHLDR curly, big diff. Now she's highlighting it light blond like I did :nono:

Last edited:

camellia

Lucia,
The exact same thing happened to my sisters hair. She had the nerve to tell me "Some people just weren't meant to have long hair. Some people's hair was meant to be short." :mad: Her hair was longer and thicker than mine before we started using the clothes iron. :(

I think I'm going to send her an annonomous link here.

Keen

At the rate my hair grows, WSL is not even in my vocabulary. Hopefully I can make BS strap in another year or so.

CarLiTa

i'm 1" below BSL.

i think for me to get to waistlength, it would take me till late December 2006, excluding big trims. I'd be at 30" if the growth rate is just 0.5" per month...

i think my waist is at 29" so i have space for a 1" trim, hopefully :)

Either way though, by March 2007, 2 years into my hair care journey, I hope to be at waistlength :grin:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I was an inch or two above bra strap for years...
When I started taking care of my hair (retaining growth) it grew quickly to BSL. I guess from there it took about 2 years to WSL.

Lucia

MissBiss said:
Two years? That seems like forever especially as my hair is just grazing most of my bra straps. :(
Don't worry it really depends on torso length are you short or long waisted, and how much hair growth you keep. I had alot of trouble getting to and passing BSL but I have a short torso so I hope it won't be long for me unless I go to a SHS--eek God forbid

Miss*Tress

Lucia said:
Don't worry it really depends on torso length are you short or long waisted, and how much hair growth you keep. I had alot of trouble getting to and passing BSL but I have a short torso so I hope it won't be long for me unless I go to a SHS--eek God forbid
You're right, Lucia. My torso is average for my height (5'5"-5'6"). FlowerHair is probably taller than I am.

Has anyone noticed that you seem to reach a growth plateau at each milestone? Say at shoulder length, APL, BSL, and so on? I remember hovering between shoulder length and APL for what felt like centuries...

Lucia

MissBiss said:
You're right, Lucia. My torso is average for my height (5'5"-5'6"). FlowerHair is probably taller than I am.

Has anyone noticed that you seem to reach a growth plateau at each milestone? Say at shoulder length, APL, BSL, and so on? I remember hovering between shoulder length and APL for what felt like centuries...
I noticed this too, everybody complains about these pauses or stalls in growth even the 1-2's types. I stalled @ SHLDR, BSL, now if I stall @ WSL I'm not complaining, :look: but I hope I just sail through since WSL to HPBN is 2" diff. for me.

Last edited:

Candy_C

yeh, i thought i'd halt at apl, to my surprise armpit was pretty easy for me to surpass. i dont mind if my hair stops at BSL. my torso is LONGGGGGGGGGGG, my armpit aint that far from brastap but it aint nr! my hair didn't look long till it reached 3 inches past APL (recently)

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
MissBiss said:

Unfortunately I'm not that tall...5'4''-5'5'' (164 cm). My hair just doesn't grow that quickly! :)

Miss*Tress

FlowerHair said:
Unfortunately I'm not that tall...5'4''-5'5'' (164 cm). My hair just doesn't grow that quickly! :)
I assumed you were taller because of your modeling photos. My hair doesn't grow very fast either.

Nanyanika

my hair growth stopped above my waist i never reached it. i hope to be there by dec 2007 with texturized ends.

Dogmd

Okay.. I dream BIG.. ;)

It took me 1 year to get to BSL from slightly below my shoulders...(I grew 6 inches) inches

so ..i am estimating another 1 1/2years to grow another 6 inches to get to my waist. I am short waisted ( is that a word?)...

Victorian

old head
My longest layer is just about at brastrap now, and I need to grow another 4-4.5 inches to get to waistlength (I'm 5' 4" and some change). I'm on a mission and trying to get there by the end of September (about 6.5 months).

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
MissBiss said:
I assumed you were taller because of your modeling photos. My hair doesn't grow very fast either.

Oh I'm not a model, I'm just a nobody these days. But I used to be a singer that's why they asked me to model :look:

joyous

BlackCardinal said:
My longest layer is just about at brastrap now, and I need to grow another 4-4.5 inches to get to waistlength (I'm 5' 4" and some change). I'm on a mission and trying to get there by the end of September (about 6.5 months).

I'm also at bottom of brastrap now and have about 5 inches to waistlength. I'm about the same height also.

WaterMoccasin

Well, I'm BSL hoping to get to WSL by the early part of next year! However, I have a long torso and there are 8 inches between BS and WS so...we'll see. My longest strands are about 6 inches away even though my hair is layered making the majority of my hair between APL and BSL.

GlamourGirl

For me being that I am the shortest thing around, my hair is slightly below brastrap. From my longest length to my waist is about 4 inches. I'm shooting for more of course so that I can do a really good trim. But I have a very short torso so I hope to gain a good 4.5 inches by the end of this summer. I think this time next year I should definitely be there....but then I might as well strive for hip length since it's only like another inch away.

zzirvingj

I am just grazing BSL and realistically I believe it'll take me 2 years to get to a health, full WSL. I am basing this on my hair growth over the past year. My hair does not grow very fast.