Calling 4a naturals......

amazin9

I am seriously considering transitioning. I am currently wearing a short cut, so the process will be short. My hair is fine, and gets even finer after having been relaxed. I am just tired of having my hair relaxed. I will be transitioning with the help of braids and weaves. I am concerned about products. What products work best for your natural hair and keep it moisturized? Also, do you ever press your hair? And, if you get the urge for a straight look, how do you straighten? I know I have alot of questions, but I need some help....Thanks!

amazin9 said:
I am seriously considering transitioning. I am currently wearing a short cut, so the process will be short. My hair is fine, and gets even finer after having been relaxed. I am just tired of having my hair relaxed. I will be transitioning with the help of braids and weaves. I am concerned about products. What products work best for your natural hair and keep it moisturized? Also, do you ever press your hair? And, if you get the urge for a straight look, how do you straighten? I know I have alot of questions, but I need some help....Thanks!

I like shea butter, aloe & olive oil. Conditioner washes keep the hair moist too. I have not worn my hair straight since transitioning. HTH

Like Mecca, I LOVE shea butter. I also use avocado butter, jojoba & coconut oils. I do conditioner washes mostly, I only wash when clarifying. Water mixed with a little oil & conditioner does wonders for my hair when it is dry. I haven't straightened my hair since chopping but I think I will try it in the fall when the weather gets cooler. When I did straighten I used Got2b creme straightener and the serum. I used a ceramic flat iron and a paddle brush (too cheap to buy a Maxiglide). Good luck with your transition :)

looks like we all use the same stuff!!! :lol: i use maxiglide to straighten my hair occasionally.....i love my shea butter....and (when im not in extensions) i deep condition once a week...

good luck on your transition!!

ETA: oh yeah...for straightening, i wash and deep condition with both protein and moisturizing conditioner....i add salerm21 as a leave in and coat with coconut oil then let it air dry overnight....and i use NTM serum or ion heat protectant (or both) on each section when i flat iron it....i havent had any heat damage yet.

Last edited:
amazin9 said:
I will be transitioning with the help of braids and weaves. I am concerned about products. What products work best for your natural hair and keep it moisturized? Also, do you ever press your hair? And, if you get the urge for a straight look, how do you straighten?

If you have fine hair, make sure not to get micro braids of any sort. Fine strands need extra TLC so heavy, tight, or braids with a small base are not good.

I too love shea butter. For conditioner, my hair loves DDTA (daily defense tender apple).

I press my hair infrequently, however I (ok, my sister did) it this past Saturday. The pictures are in my album. She used a Maxiglide on heat setting 5 with coconut oil.

Last edited:
nchristina said:
If you have fine hair, make sure not to get micro braids of any sort. Fine strands need extra TLC so heavy, tight, or braids with a small base are not good.

I too love shea butter. For conditioner, my hair loves DDTA (daily defense tender apple).

I press my hair infrequently, however I (ok, my sister did) it this past Saturday. The picture are in my album. She used a Maxiglide on heat setting 5 with coconut oil.
i :love: maxiglide with coconut oil....

nchristina said:

I have had a bad experience with micro braids in the past and will not be getting them again. I ordered the braid and weave dvd, so I do my own hair. I already know how to cornrow, so that is half the battle!!....LOL

By the way, I love the recent pics in your album! Your hair looks great natural and straight! You are my natural hair idol....:notworthy

amazin9 said:

I'm still learning my hair and so I;m really really fickle about products and routines. I'm currently conditioner washing twice a week and rinsing daily for moisture. I'm using Afro Detangler (from the braid lady) as my lubricant (it's mostly avocado butter and lighter than shea butter. I maxiglide every now and then for a straight look. I don't think I;m going to press my hair anymore because I think it's the reason why a front section of my hair is permanent;y straight. Best of luck on your transition... being natural is really fun.

When I get some time, I will bump my thread called Natural hair guide for you. I had some really good information from natural members.

I only use shea butter. I love that stuff. Make sure you use the unfined shea butter. I never wear my hair straight thou.

I've never straightened my hair since being natural. When I want a straight look I'll have a sew in put in. I mostly keep my hair in braids and when I do I use Motions leave-in conditioner,s curl,profective antibreakage strengthener, wgo,doo gro anti-itch oil,shea butter, and surge alternately. For conditioners I use silk elements or ors mayonnaise, motions products, nexxus humectress, olive oil, castor oil,and honey.

amazin9 said:
I have had a bad experience with micro braids in the past and will not be getting them again. I ordered the braid and weave dvd, so I do my own hair. I already know how to cornrow, so that is half the battle!!....LOL

By the way, I love the recent pics in your album! Your hair looks great natural and straight! You are my natural hair idol....:notworthy

Which video? Your lucky at least you already know how to cornrow.

Wow, that's a serious compliment. Thank you!

Warning: Very Long Post

I am sure that I am 4a though I don't really follow that hair typing thing. Right now I'm using these products: Ultra Black Hair Lotion Créme Moisturizer and the MTG oil applied to the scalp. In the past, BB Oil Moisturizer w/ Castor Oil and Aloe worked great and I'm thinking of returning to this since the Ultra Black Hair stuff isn't as moisturizing as I remember. I also used my own moisturizing spray mix along with the créme moisturizers and my hair was ultra moisturized esp. when I slept with the plastic cap at night. I press my hair once every two months which was a big step for me seeing as how I pressed my hair every week or every other week when it was not in braids. Without pressed or braided hair my styles are limited {well it's limited anyway because of the length}. I use the old fashioned pressing comb that is heated on the stove. Alot of people frown upon these things but its what I'm used to and I always do it myself {because I don't burn my hair} or I get my mother to do it because she presses it even better. Before pressing the new growth, I straighten the ends with a cheap ceramic flat iron..then use the pressing comb to press the roots...it sounds like a lot but I have NEVER gotten heat damage because I also have a healthy hair routine and I use a mild protein conditioner and heavy protein conditioner/treatment every six weeks. As someone said...coconut oil gives me the silkest, straightest press ever! After washing and conditioning the hair, I apply a light leave-in conditioner or moisturizer then apply the coconut oil from root to tip and let air-dry overnight. The next day before pressing, I part the hair in small to medium sections and apply either Blue Magic Pressing Oil or Dudley's Créme Press to the ends and continue with the straightening process. The best coconut oil on the market is Nature's Wildchild Virgin Oil de Coco Créme or maybe I'm just biased because it works great for me and never felt the need to try any other brand!

P.S. I have had a bad experience with microbraids, but since I started doing them myself now and I have learned to keep my thin, fine hair strong...I only get minimal shedding or breakage now and no bald spots from the braids. The technique for taking them out is very important imo.

I moisturize using Oyin Handmade Greg Juice and Whipped pudding or Asha's Coco De Leche (usually the former though). I wash my hair with Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream or a conditioner. Also started using Dr. Bronners soap on my scalp as well. Condition with Avalon Organics Lemon Clarifying Conditioner (amazing) and/or Elucence Moisture Balance Conditioner (also amazing).

I used to straighten (blow outs in a salon) A LOT but have now cut back to once every 3 months. :)

amazin9 said:

After years of being hard-headed, I realized "my hair" was too fragile and thin to handle the chemicals. I feel where your coming from.
As for "my hair" braids that are too small, did MUCh damage to "my hair". So be aware of that possibility.
Since being natural all of 3weeks now, I still havent found my staple products that my natural hair loves, other than Keracare, which provide awesome slip, and detangling. Elucence also. I've been moisturizing w/ Lustrasilk moisturizer, and my hair likes that, so i'll be keeping that on board.
Yes, I do press, but I plan to press ever other week, unless, I see damage. But, I use a heat protectant leave-in like Thermasilk, and WGO to press and my hair is fine.

Hope I answered your questions ;) Good Luck!!

Back