Calling all transitioners!!!

Premierepearl08

Is there anyone among you who loves both relaxed and natural hair? I was natural from 1999-2004 and relaxed because I was frustrated with my natural hair-mostly styling issues. Now that I am relaxed, my hair seems to be doing well. I am transitioning because I *really* miss my natural hair. I feel so torn because I actually do enjoy my relaxed hair too; it doesn't help that my hair hasn't been this long since middle school! I love both and am loathe to choose. I'm am leaning more towards natural hair though. I'm afraid that I will relax again. Please, share your thoughts on transitioning and why you are planning to grow natural.

meia

hey premiere!

youre post interested me a lot!! im transitioning to natural..i havent gotten a perm since april. im going to be natural PERMANENTLY and its because ive decided i like the texture of natural more..plus its less maintenence because you dont have to worry about constant heat or constant breakage, moisturization etc., i used to love the beautiful straightness of relaxed hair and how it looked on me..

im with you tho girl cos i REALLY miss the texture i used to have..coiled waves..beautiful now that i think about it but i was forced to relax because of everyone always approaching me asking me what am i gonna do with my hair and all that stuff..i feel that now that im going natural my hair will go to its max potential and grow longer and more healthier in general

i think transitioning to natural has to be a honest person decision..forget what anyone else thinks girl..do it for you..my hearts fully in going natural this time roots, naps, and all..i think itll be so worth it..i think it also will improve the health of your hair although i know some girls its different and the relaxer actually helps more..

im attempting to go entirely natural with my products as well..i basically pick out my roots with oil and wrap every night..so the roots stay smooth and straight and now so kinky..its great..you can still have all the benefits of relaxed hair (basically not kinky roots) even if you are natural..it works wonderfully..

id love to talk some more if you need any help!
-meia:p

Cheleigh

I don't hate my relaxed hair...I mean it didn't disrespect me or do evil things to me, ya know? My relaxed hair just...is. It just sits there...straight...and limp... The length of my hair was noticable, but the hair itself was unmemorable, IMO. I get more compliments with my transitioning hair than I have with my relaxed hair, oddly enough.

When I see pretty relaxed hair on some women (usually minutes out of the salon), I can think, wow, what would that look like on my hair?

But generally though, I guess I admire the more confident look of natural hair...when I see a woman with natural hair, she appears to me to be more comfortable with who she is. I also like the versatility. If I really, really want a straight look, I can press or flatiron it and it will still look better than a relaxer on me, FME.

MzTami

Hellerrrr
Hi Premiere,

I am transitioning for the first time in my life, and the reason being is I am tiredddddd of my hair staying one length. I am tired of under or overprocessing my hair. It is too delicate and fragile, sometimes I don't want to breathe on it.

I just started transitioning 2 months ago, and I have a longggg road ahead of me. Although I don't know how my natural hair will behave or even if it will grow more than the relaxed, is a question I would like to know. I do know that it's not growing pass my shoulders and its time for a change. I wish I had found this forum years ago and would probably be enjoying my natural hair.

I feel that you should make the decision,not everybody else. It's your hair and your decision! Good Luck with whatever YOU decide.

Peachtree

I :love: my relaxed hair. It was beyond bra strap, thick, & rather easy to care for. I chose to go natural because I :love: my new growth even more. I was relaxed for 18 years... Once I learned how to properly care for my relaxed hair, I figured I might have the same results caring for my natural hair. So, I did it... I transitioned for the 1st time in my life! 18 mths later, I chopped off the relaxed ends & have been in :love: with my natural hair ever since!

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I completely understand what you mean. I made the decision to transition before I knew there was such a term back in January but had a set back. Two months into my transition, I discovered that I had these really springy coils that I would play with over the course of the day. I'm on month 6 of transitioning and am in love with my new growth. Problem is SHRINKAGE, and thoughts of perming to see the length and let my hair blow in the wind do cross my mind. I'm sure that I will stick with my transition and get the occaisional dominican blow out when the urge for straight hair hits.

Premierepearl08 said:
Is there anyone among you who loves both relaxed and natural hair? I was natural from 1999-2004 and relaxed because I was frustrated with my natural hair-mostly styling issues. Now that I am relaxed, my hair seems to be doing well. I am transitioning because I *really* miss my natural hair. I feel so torn because I actually do enjoy my relaxed hair too; it doesn't help that my hair hasn't been this long since middle school! I love both and am loathe to choose. I'm am leaning more towards natural hair though. I'm afraid that I will relax again. Please, share your thoughts on transitioning and why you are planning to grow natural.

caligirl

Cheleigh said:
I don't hate my relaxed hair...I mean it didn't disrespect me or do evil things to me, ya know? My relaxed hair just...is. It just sits there...straight...and limp... The length of my hair was noticable, but the hair itself was unmemorable, IMO. I get more compliments with my transitioning hair than I have with my relaxed hair, oddly enough.

When I see pretty relaxed hair on some women (usually minutes out of the salon), I can think, wow, what would that look like on my hair?

But generally though, I guess I admire the more confident look of natural hair...when I see a woman with natural hair, she appears to me to be more comfortable with who she is. I also like the versatility. If I really, really want a straight look, I can press or flatiron it and it will still look better than a relaxer on me, FME.

I get SO many compliments on my hair now that I'm transitioning, even though I feel self conscious most of the time. People tell me that I look exotic and are always asking "where are you from?" Plus, I can always get my hair blowdried at the dominican salon to wear it straight and silky. I always miss the thickness and texture after a few days though.

meia

i definitely think transitioned hair makes a person look more exotic-that natural wave comes out. it looks so beautiful. i think having transitioned hair is so versatile you can still straighten it, curl it- all the normal things minus the mass amounts of chemicals in relaxers etc.,

i notice that i get a lot more compliments too because everyone used to hate on my old texture but now my natural hair makes me feel more confident that nobody says sh-t about my hair now to insult me...with relaxed hair i know for a fact that i didnt have so much confidence
because in the humidity and the heat my hair would just have
gotten straightened and puff back up again- it got to be too much and you got to especially keep taking care of it A LOT

but i get tempted too because of the length..it seem like i dont see length unless its relaxed

Premierepearl08

meia said:
but i get tempted too because of the length..it seem like i dont see length unless its relaxed

You know, I think that's what my problem is. I was natural for 5 years and it seemed that everyone at a forum that I belonged to surpassed me in growth, which was one my main goals. I also couldn't find a *real* natural stylist to help me...I'm not good with hair. If I had someone to instruct me a bit it would have been better. I know relaxed hair just sits there, but I can see some growth there. The thought of cutting my hair disturbs me, and I'm too impatient for a real long transition. I guess the real problem really amounts to the fact that I felt that I wasn't making any progress; I want my natural hair to grow long but need help that I feel that I don't have access to. Do you guys have salons that you go to, or do you manage your hair own your own. Also, have any of you ever seen a person with long 4a/4b hair? I don't have many examples here in NC.

meia

premiere pearl- yeahhh girl thats probably the problem. i noticed that too. because of shrinkage, it appears like your hair hasnt grown any when it actually has. i think the reason why people relax apart from style is because it doesnt appear like their hair has "grown" unless they relax (even though thats not the truth at all the growth is there its just not stretched out looking)..

I also am not good with styling my own hair. Id love for a real stylist to help me that wasnt scissor or processing happy you know? i be ready to box my hair stylist (that i used to see occasionally) because she cuts off TOO MUCH and i flip out every time lol..

Id also love to do the bc but hell no..its taken me this long to get her and im certainly not going back to that you know? i was going to make a post to see if you can be natural without doing the bc..i think maybe what might be a good idea is to not put any relaxer in it or do the bc...because once you do the big chop theres no turning back you know? otherwise itd be a waste...

if you want to go natural but are unsure for any step of the way we can help each other out cos im struggling to get there..i just cant take the brittle ends and all that relaxers used to leave me with..i see plenty of girls that transition to natural using protective styles and they see TONS of growth retention and find happiness because it takes their mind off the actual look of their hair..allows the hair to grow,,and reduces damage..thats the easiest way to stay natural..

Yeahhhh girll...not noticing progress will do that to you..make you do drastic things you never thought you would do.. but you gotta realize if you go natural again permanently youre doing it for YOU..YOU have to be satisfied and thats the most important thing you know? if you arent satisfied with anything that ive mentioned or any other options that present itself to you, then maybe staying relaxed until you feel you can go natural, no holds barred it the best way to go..

Your hair type is my hair type!! lol funny enough!! my hair is mid back right now...i dont know general consesus on long hair lol but id definitely be willing to support you if you need any- hairstyles, regimes, recipes etc., you arent alone and dont think that for one second! im aiming towards entirely natural down to the products all within a good amount of time..

we'll get through this!!
meia

Xcellence2

Premiere pearl and meia...I agree with you girls. My hair is currently past bra strap and I am transitioning. I have been transitioning for a year and 3 months now. As soon as I don't press my hair, I get the did you cut your hair comment because of course my hair shrinks up. So far, the only style that allows me to show any length without pressing is a twist out followed by a braid out for maintenance. I alternate between that style and a flat ironing my hair. Those are the only two styles I can manage without going to work looking jacked up! LOL Anway to echo what meia said...I am willing to share my experience as well but I warn you my experience is limited.

Premiere...Skee-wee!

Crackers Phinn

meia said:
i was going to make a post to see if you can be natural without doing the bc..

I searched for this subject in the archives and didn't get a satisfactory answer. I've been transitioning for 6 months and (knock on wood) I haven't experienced ANY noticeable breakage of my permed edges. As a matter of fact, because I baggie up my entire ponytail instead of just the edges, the permed part of my hair seems nearly as strong as my natural hair and the demarcation line gets a good oil infusion every night.

The conventional wisdom seems to dictate that at some point the permed part will break off but I don't see it happening on my head.

Crackers Phinn

Xcellence2 said:
I alternate between that style and a flat ironing my hair.

Have you notice any change in your texture after flat ironing regularly? I have read that the added heat on a regular basis will break down the hair structure and your coils won't revert.

TIA

Cheleigh

JCoily said:
I searched for this subject in the archives and didn't get a satisfactory answer. I've been transitioning for 6 months and (knock on wood) I haven't experienced ANY noticeable breakage of my permed edges. As a matter of fact, because I baggie up my entire ponytail instead of just the edges, the permed part of my hair seems nearly as strong as my natural hair and the demarcation line gets a good oil infusion every night.

The conventional wisdom seems to dictate that at some point the permed part will break off but I don't see it happening on my head.

I'm 6 months post too. You know, I've had breakage, but I attribute that more to the fact that I wore twist extentions and my hair seems to have had a negative reaction to the synthetic hair. Now, a month later, my hair is doing much better. I do want to BC by next March, but if I just wanted to go on forever, and there's no breakage, I don't see why it can't be done. No matter how long I go though, I certainly don't expect to see anywhere the length that I've had my entire life (shoulders or below)...so I'm spending now and the next 6 months preparing for that fact. :eek:

meia

Xcellence: i have been transitioning for almost half a year now..its not getting all that complicated cos i attack my new growth with a pick lol and get that reallll straight...lol although i love the texture im anxious to get more of it so i can wear it like i used to, tossed over one shoulder..i hate that damn comment "did you cut your hair"..like people should even be so nosy..lol

you know what you might want to try xcellence? tell me what u think but try taking a pick (metal or plastic), applying oil to the roots and new growth and picking it out. i then throw on a scarf and it smooths considerably without pressing or anything and it lasts for days you know.. without the heat..you know what that reminded me of?

id love it if i could long puffy two strand twists when my hair gets more natural...AHHHHHH they are so cute! lol they shrink up just as bad too lol..

jcoily- its making me mad cos its like i dont want to be forced to make the big chop.Ive taken such a long time to grow my hair out to my uneven length now, chopping it isnt any easier and i dont think my boyfriend would like it although he would stand behind me..and it would be a SERIOUS blow to my confidence.

I havent noticed any breakage either, jcoily. I think the condition of my hair might actually be improving a bit...altho the ends are always more troublesome on my head. Im really going to get active on that baggiing that way I can build up the relaxed ends with more strength.

I dont think itll break off for us. I think it will be harder to do natural hairstyles which is why so many women do go back to relaxing so easily..but we'll get through it.. maybe when my natural hair reaches a good length ill chop off the relaxed bits..but itll only take maybe another 6-9 months before the rest of my hair goes natural cos my hair takes perms differently. the natural texture comes back rather quick.
----

Ive noticed when it comes to flat ironing if i use a cheapy flat iron it messes up the coils and then they never return quite back to the texture it was previously. Ever since I stopped, my texture has reverted. But in order to use any heat at all, I have to use a CHI flat iron because it shows off the most length and doesnt get too hot or too damaging. Its quite nice. I know for a fact relaxing has that same effect. It breaks the curls down to make the straight hair.

Cheleigh- I definitely attribute my breakage to not being gentle or sensitive to my hair. I think youre right. I think at some point the natural texture will revert back to a more wavier curlier pattern instead of staying straight forever as long as the proper care is taken to ensure the retention of the coils. Cheleigh, dont underestimate your hair. I think now that youre more conscious of what youre putting on your hair instead of the relaxer chemicals, I think itll make a world of difference and altho we encounter shrinkage- MOST of us do, realize that when you continue to transition, itll probably be the healthiest your hair will ever be. Ive learned the past few months, that healthiness matters more than length. I used to sacrifice health for length any day would leave splits and everything there. now imagine my suprise when all those splits traveled up my hair shaft tearing a goot lot of my hair up..

you wont regret this especially if you do the bc. you may not have the longest hair in the world but the texture makes up for it if its something you really feel strongly about.

tinkat

I have been comtemplating on transitioning since march and i had 5 months of new growth at the end of july, but i had a major setback which made me want to not put another relaxer in my hair. I officially decided in august that i would not get another relaxer. I honestly want to go natural b/c I think that it would be healthier on my hair and scalp and I also like my natural texture. I enjoyed taking care of my relaxed hair, but those no-lye perms thinned out my once medium thick hair. I just really admire natural hair.

Xcellence2

JCoily said:
Have you notice any change in your texture after flat ironing regularly? I have read that the added heat on a regular basis will break down the hair structure and your coils won't revert.

TIA

JCoily...I have not noticed a change in my texture. My sister is almost waistlength and 100% natural and she always wears her hair pressed. When her hair is wet, it reverts right back to the way it was when she was younger. I think as long as you are careful and use some type of protector...you will be okay but different things work for different people.

Xcellence2

meia said:
Xcellence: i have been transitioning for almost half a year now..its not getting all that complicated cos i attack my new growth with a pick lol and get that reallll straight...lol although i love the texture im anxious to get more of it so i can wear it like i used to, tossed over one shoulder..i hate that damn comment "did you cut your hair"..like people should even be so nosy..lol

you know what you might want to try xcellence? tell me what u think but try taking a pick (metal or plastic), applying oil to the roots and new growth and picking it out. i then throw on a scarf and it smooths considerably without pressing or anything and it lasts for days you know.. without the heat..you know what that reminded me of?

id love it if i could long puffy two strand twists when my hair gets more natural...AHHHHHH they are so cute! lol they shrink up just as bad too lol..

jcoily- its making me mad cos its like i dont want to be forced to make the big chop.Ive taken such a long time to grow my hair out to my uneven length now, chopping it isnt any easier and i dont think my boyfriend would like it although he would stand behind me..and it would be a SERIOUS blow to my confidence.

I havent noticed any breakage either, jcoily. I think the condition of my hair might actually be improving a bit...altho the ends are always more troublesome on my head. Im really going to get active on that baggiing that way I can build up the relaxed ends with more strength.

I dont think itll break off for us. I think it will be harder to do natural hairstyles which is why so many women do go back to relaxing so easily..but we'll get through it.. maybe when my natural hair reaches a good length ill chop off the relaxed bits..but itll only take maybe another 6-9 months before the rest of my hair goes natural cos my hair takes perms differently. the natural texture comes back rather quick.
----

Ive noticed when it comes to flat ironing if i use a cheapy flat iron it messes up the coils and then they never return quite back to the texture it was previously. Ever since I stopped, my texture has reverted. But in order to use any heat at all, I have to use a CHI flat iron because it shows off the most length and doesnt get too hot or too damaging. Its quite nice. I know for a fact relaxing has that same effect. It breaks the curls down to make the straight hair.

Cheleigh- I definitely attribute my breakage to not being gentle or sensitive to my hair. I think youre right. I think at some point the natural texture will revert back to a more wavier curlier pattern instead of staying straight forever as long as the proper care is taken to ensure the retention of the coils. Cheleigh, dont underestimate your hair. I think now that youre more conscious of what youre putting on your hair instead of the relaxer chemicals, I think itll make a world of difference and altho we encounter shrinkage- MOST of us do, realize that when you continue to transition, itll probably be the healthiest your hair will ever be. Ive learned the past few months, that healthiness matters more than length. I used to sacrifice health for length any day would leave splits and everything there. now imagine my suprise when all those splits traveled up my hair shaft tearing a goot lot of my hair up..

you wont regret this especially if you do the bc. you may not have the longest hair in the world but the texture makes up for it if its something you really feel strongly about.

I never thought about picking the new growth. I should give it a try the next time that I wash my hair. I agree with you meia re: the chi iron. My hairstylist uses a chi iron and when i flatiron at home I use a maxiglide which has the steam burst. So far i have had no problems with my hair texture and the chi/maxglide iron.

Premierepearl08

What types of transitioning styles do you guys use outside of braids? Before my last relaxer I had a lot of new growth and wore a wash and go, but I don't see that lasting past month 2 or 3 for me. Any suggestions for someone who is not that great at braiding?

Xcellence - Back at you, girl! I went over at SC State;where did you go over?

imstush

JCoily said:

Yes you can be natural with out doing the BC, but obviously you would have to grow out all of your relaxed hair. Otherwise you would still be considered transitioning.

imstush

I am also stuck between both worlds. I like the relaxer because it's easier to maitain my hair. But the relaxer stunts my growth. My hair remained the same length for years...and I never relaxed often...2/3 times a year. I am growing my hair out, because when I went all natural, my hair grew back to it's original length (waist).

Cheleigh

Premierepearl08 said:
What types of transitioning styles do you guys use outside of braids? Before my last relaxer I had a lot of new growth and wore a wash and go, but I don't see that lasting past month 2 or 3 for me. Any suggestions for someone who is not that great at braiding?

Ms.Counselor
OnePraying
DSylla
Me
are the ones I can think of off the top of my head that have some current transitioning styles in their photo albums. I know there's a bunch more. I do mostly roller set braidouts (bun, ponytails, braidouts, puffs). ETA: I don't bother trying to blend the two textures, so if someone's looking to see seamless texture transitioning styles...well...

Today, inspired by someone who mentioned they did this as a transition style, I'm wearing two french braids (I've been called Pippi Longstocking all day :p ). I've just discovered that I can braid one side really well--the other--not so much. :blush:

Last edited:

Premierepearl08

Cheleigh said:
Today, inspired by someone who mentioned they did this as a transition style, I'm wearing two french braids (I've been called Pippi Longstocking all day :p ). I've just discovered that I can braid one side really well--the other--not so much. :blush:

Girl, you are so funny! I'm not good at braiding at all, so to get a french braid would be a miracle for me. Cheleigh, after transitioning for so long, how long would you say your natural hair is? I want to see exactly how long it may take my hair to get to the length that I want it before I chop. Btw, thanks for the transitioning album links!

Last edited:

Cheleigh

Premierepearl08 said:
Girl, you are so funny! I'm not good at braiding at all, so to get a french braid would be a miracle for me. Cheleigh, after transitioning for so long, how long would you say your natural hair is? I want to see exactly how long it may tak my hair to get to the length that I want it before I chop. Btw, thanks for the transitioning album links!

You're welcome!

My hair is clearly growing at different lengths (I added photo #48 in my album just to show you). I estimate that my hair is anywhere from about 2" (closest to the top) to about 3" near the crown and about 2.75" at the nape. I haven't measured exactly, but I know that my hair at the front is growing way more slowly than the rest. :( My ideal goal is to have 6" before I BC or to BC by March '06, whichever comes first. It's clear to me now that I probably won't have an even 6" all over by my BC date, but I'll accept that.

DiamondStar

Premierepearl08 said:

The only reason why I thought I love relaxed hair was because it was easier to comb. Well, as I have been relaxer free for almost five months, the only difference between my transitioning and relaxed hair is that I cannot comb my transitioning hair while it's dry. Other than that, I love my natural texture and it's actually straighter than my relaxed hair, if that makes sense. It retains more moisture, and has a beautiful texture. I used to cry about my thin edges, but like magic, my edges have grown in..and I am actually growing baby hairs around my edges that I've never seen (think Chilli from TLC). My hair is growing much faster now, and it's so much thicker. I realize that it will take a few years for me to reach bra-strap, but I know it will be worth it!

Some people have healthy hair with relaxers, but I was never one of those people. Relaxers thinned and dried out my hair, and left it limp and lifeless. I just have a sensitive scalp and could not handle the chemicals. If I could, I would probably still be relaxing. I do not have breakage or massive shedding from transitioning. It's actually not as difficult as I expected. I can see the progress, and am determined to not straighten my hair until Jan 06. My current styles are twistouts and buns...nothing special :) I do not like braids, and don't plan on wearing them.

Bottom line, I was tired of depending on a chemical that did nothing except straighten my hair... :grin:

Premierepearl08

DiamondStar, great post, girl! Truly inspirational. I like the look of relaxed hair and the fact that it shows length better, that's about the size of it. The reason I have finally determined to transition to natural hair again is because there was something creative, sensual and energetic about my hair and I don't have that with my current relaxed hair. I regret that I relaxed it. I am really feeling you on the braids...my face is way too long and thin to be wearing a style that doesn't have some type of volume at the sides! :) (laugh)

Cheleigh, I was planning on getting about 6 inches myself. I posted to a thread that you left on Napp. about the fact that I was thinking about doing the chop on my birthday..Feb. 23. That MTG that everyone is using sounds good so I think that I will give it a whirl! Hopefully, by the time I chop I will have enough hair for a certain, short "style" that I used to have. It's in my natural album but the quality of the photo is horrible! It's the picture with my daughter.

Last edited:

Suri

PP...Best thing I can tell you is to examine your hair goals. That is what I did and I feel less pressure to 'go natural' or 'stay straight' because I have defined my goals. Once you do that, I think you will figure out the best plan for you.

I am also dealing with the quest of transitioning, my issue is transitioning with short hair. It's at my nape and under my ears on the sides. Stretched, it's definintely longer. My hair is healthy, but I want it to grow.

I am 9 months post and I have been very good with styling my hair thus far. The first few months that my new growth started to really show (say month 5-6) I started getting excited and began cutting my hair every week like a fool, I lost about a good 1inch and 1/4 doing that. But now that I have decided that I want my hair to grow, I am considering relaxing it for another year or so and then starting the transition period over. Honestly, my lifestyle is busy and I can't stand struggling to style my hair that barely fits into a small pony tail. What's the use of pulling an tugging in transition to natural hair if I am straining it in the process? I would love to transition with two pippy braids

I am thinking of relaxing (although sometimes I think of not relaxing :perplexed ) just to get some length and start transitioning again next year where I can braid my hair (pippy braids and braid outs) or put it in a loose pony daily instead of struggling to hold the roots down. BTW, I try wearing it out (braid outs) and the length just makes it look very crackish. It's so close to short and natural, but it's not...:ohwell:

Well ladies, i think I have decided I may just relax it. I feel sad parting with the new texture that I have discovered but I know that transitioning will be a lot easier with hair that is at least shoulder length and I can get that in no time.
GL PP...and all of you with the transition decision:)

bluediamond0829

im also having the same issues i love relaxed hair and i would love to try something new by being natural...ive had so many problems with me damaging my own hair while it was relaxed..from overprocessing, coloring, breakage, and of course hair not growing...i love the feel of my hair when it is in the natural state...but im at so much of a loss on what im going to do once i get it to the length i want it...thats basically what my goal is for right now is to grow my hair out healthy, strong, and get more length to it than i usually get than with me jumping up and relaxing it once it gets somekind of length to it...and then the next thing i will be walking around unhappy with myself..this is my second attempt with transitioning..because i started the year off by telling myself that i was going to transition but once i got it to a certain length i went back to relaxing...right now ive been without a relaxer since May..The only thing im stuck on deciding is what to do with it once it gets to a certain length...and if i would be dealing with shrinkage..how it would look in a complete natural state...what products i could use to keep my edges and hair looking nice(my texture is by the way fine)... i had some stylist in the past tell me that i didnt even need a relaxer because of the texture of my hair being fine...well i guess i'll cross that path when i get to it...