CALLING ALL BUN WEARERS (Short or long hair)

Indigo's Hair

How do you make your hair smooth for a bun without all the combing and pulling? I am trying to not use any heat and wear my hair in a bun for several months but I tend to lose hair from the combing and brushing required to pull it back into a bun. So, let me (and others who are interested) know your secret.
What is your bunning procedure? Such as....

1). Do you wash your hair everyday and then bun?
2). What type of moisturizer do you use that will keep your hair smooth?
3). What type of moisturizer do you use that will keep your hair smooth at 8 weeks post?
4). Do you use an oil to seal your ends?
5). Is there a technique that require I comb and brush only once per week and the bun will stay smooth? (Ohhhh....I would love that!)

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

SqrpioQutie

i do #1... i cowash daily and then bun while my hair is still really wet... i add the 24/7 TLC creme in the pink bottle (most of the time), a boars head brush to smooth it back, and into a bun it goes.... if, for some reason i want it super flat, i just tie it down for about 10 minutes...

Indigo's Hair said:
How do you make your hair smooth for a bun without all the combing and pulling? I am trying to not use any heat and wear my hair in a bun for several months but I tend to lose hair from the combing and brushing required to pull it back into a bun. So, let me (and others who are interested) know your secret.

3). What type of moisturizer do you use that will keep your hair smooth at 8 weeks post?
5). Is there a technique that require I comb and brush only once per week and the bun will stay smooth? (Ohhhh....I would love that!)

Indigo's Hair

Thank you SqrpioQutie. I forgot about my denman's brush. I can use that after I have relaxed my hair. But, when I'm 8 weeks post, the denman's brush won't go through my hair.

I have been cowashing daily myself and I was wondering if I was doing more harm then good by doing that. I use BB Growth Lotion and Kemi Oyl to seal and I tie it down for the night; but, my hair still seems a little poofy in the morning and I am losing hair everytime I brush and comb my hair. I was wondering if I am doing something wrong.

CAPlush

When I wash my hair, I lean my head back into the shower stream after I have completely detangled then smooth smooth smooth it all back, squeezing out all the water. I then add some WGO and keep smoothing then twist and pin my hair, then tie it down. It requires no comb or brush:) I daily add some moisturizer (mostly Dudley's Moisture Retainer) and tie it down.

deontaer

I wash my hair twice a week and bun my hair on wash days while it's wet. I haven't combed it or brushed it in a few months. I do my regular wash/condition. When I get out, I put in my leave ins and oils and I smooth my hair with my hands slowly in an upward motion until it's near the top of my head. Once I get it as high as I want it, I twist it in a bun and before tucking my ends under, I put some more oil on them...either vatika oil or coconut oil, then I wrap my bun in a satin scrunci. I don't use any rubber bands to hold the ponytail in place because it pulls my hair too tight. Once my hair is bunned, I put a sandwich bag on the bun and tie it up in a satin scarf to smooth it over night while it dries. The next morning, I put my phoney poney on and roll out. I take my bun down every day to moisturize and oil it and put it back up to go to bed.

It just really takes some practice to get it right. To keep it smooth I spray my hair with elasta qp H-12 hydrating mist then put some coconut oil on my hair. I find that the best way to keep your hair smooth weeks post relaxer is it use a conditioner and leave in with silk in them. It softens your new growth and makes it easier to lay it down.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Nope. I wash twice a week Sat and Wed. I bun up after I wash on Wed and wear that bun until the next wash.

QB Sidr Butter is the only moisturizer I use now. I use it no matter what style I am wearing (bun or rollerset). The trick is to tie my hair down with a scarf right after I have smoothed my hair back and to tie the scarf on every night before I go to bed.

See above answer

Most times yes, especially if I am wearing a bun. I use coconut, jojoba or evoo.

5). Is there a technique that require I comb and brush only once per week and the bun will stay smooth?
Yup. After I condition I detangle my hair in the shower under running water. Using my shower comb I comb my hair straight back. Once its combed straight back and detangled I leave it that way. When I get out of the shower I add my leave in and run a smaller toothed comb (not a rat tail comb) through the front section of my hair to smoth it out. A brush would work fine too. I tie on my scarf and let my hair dry like this for about 20-30 mins then with the scarf still on I make my bun. I go to bed like this. When I get up in the morning I pull off the scarf, smooth on a tiny bit of oil for shine and go. My hair stays in the bun until I wash again no combing necessary. I will moisturize the ends daily and then twist it back up.

I did this for a year to retain my length. It wa boring but it worked.

Indigo's Hair

Thank you Deontaer. That was very helpful. I am trying to learn how to not brush or comb my hair. You've gone for a few months? WOW!!

Since joing LHCF, I have learned that my hair LOVES low manipulation and moisture. I know my hair will have tremendous growth once I learn how to keep it moisturize with low manipulation. Until then, I will continue to practice.

Indigo's Hair

Simplycee, you did it for a year? Okay, I am hoping I can go that long. I know I am going to be bored with the style after awhile; but, right now learning how to do it properly is keeping me intriqued. If I am able to successfully keep my hair in a bun for 3 months, I know I will see good progress. I am going to try to bun tonight and keep it for 2-3 days and then wash again without combing.

crlsweetie912

Indigo's Hair said:

I wash 2 times per week and bun on wash days. I take my bun down at night, moisturize ends, seal and then baggie and tie up with my scarf.

It's not a moisturizer, but I use Beyond the Zone Stiff head.

See above.

Yes, Proclaim Natural 7 oil or WGO

I brush my edges and tie down with a scarf before bed!

I use breakfree to moisturize my ends every night and my hair loves it. HHG!

Allandra

How do you make your hair smooth for a bun without all the combing and pulling?
I comb and brush my hair gently. I don't have to comb and brush it alot to smooth it out. Once I'm done, I place a scarf on my head for a little while. When I take the scarf off, I'm good to go.

No, I wash my hair once a week (when I'm not being lazy/busy).

Right now, I'm using either Arosci Ultra Shine Hair Dress, BB Oil Moisturizer Lotion w/Castor Oil and Aloe or Proclaim Activator Gel - this is what's in my hair care product stash right now.

The items I listed under 2).

I use the same stuff on all of my hair that's listed under 2).

Well, if you don't want to do your bun each day, just wear a scarf at night and see how that goes.

Allandra

CAPlush said:
When I wash my hair, I lean my head back into the shower stream after I have completely detangled then smooth smooth smooth it all back, squeezing out all the water. I then add some WGO and keep smoothing then twist and pin my hair, then tie it down. It requires no comb or brush:) I daily add some moisturizer (mostly Dudley's Moisture Retainer) and tie it down.
I wash my hair in the shower too. This makes my styling quite easy, and I don't have to comb and brush my hair alot to smooth it out.

Indigo's Hair

Thanks everyone. I'm going to use a lot of the info I got today when I wash my hair tonight. I hope it is a success. I guess my biggest problem is that my new growth gets so puffy that it is hard to both keep it down and have shine. I end up putting too many products in my hair to achieve both. I also do a lot of combing and brushing EVERYDAY to keep it down.

After reading everyone's post, I can see some areas in which I am going wrong.

janeemat

I rarely bun wet hair. I prefer to rollerset and then smooth my hair into a bun. This really helps when I get a lot of ng. To answer your questions.

1). Do you wash your hair everyday and then bun? NO, I wash on Wed and Sat.
2). What type of moisturizer do you use that will keep your hair smooth? I use several leave ins such as Aveda Elixir, Lacio Lacio or Redken Anti Snap. On dry hair I use Aveda Brilliant Serum or Frederic Fekka Glossing Cream.
3). What type of moisturizer do you use that will keep your hair smooth at 8 weeks post? Same above and lot's deep conditioners (Aveda DR, Keraphix, Silicon mix, Redken smooth down, etc.
4). Do you use an oil to seal your ends? Coconut or a combination of EVOO and Jojoba oil.
5). Is there a technique that require I comb and brush only once per week and the bun will stay smooth? (Ohhhh....I would love that!) Tie a scarf on your hair at night an just use your fingers or a toothbrush to smooth the fly aways.

I don't use phoney ponies. I have a weft of hair that i just wrap around my hair with a baggie under it. I like somewhat messy buns. Most days I just put my own hair in a scrunchie. I make sure to moisturize my ends morning and night. I hope this helps.

Indigo's Hair

Thank you Janeemat. You gave me some great ideas. First, I can use a toothbrush to gently stroke hair into place. This shouldn't be damaging.

Next, I can wrap a weft around my own ponytail and bun. I am sooooooooo excited now. I hope it turns out as good as I am imaging. I am going to wash my hair today so I can start with a "fresh" head of hair.

Thanx again.

Sly

janeemat said:
I rarely bun wet hair. I prefer to rollerset and then smooth my hair into a bun. This really helps when I get a lot of ng. To answer your questions.

I don't use phoney ponies. I have a weft of hair that i just wrap around my hair with a baggie under it. I like somewhat messy buns. Most days I just put my own hair in a scrunchie. I make sure to moisturize my ends morning and night. I hope this helps.

janeemat, how do you use the weft hair to make your bun WITH the baggie? Hair pins? Lots of hair to cover the baggie? Low, high, side position of the bun? Please help.

Isis

I bun my hair after airdrying in a rollerset. The rollerset smoothes out my hair (as in the pic in my siggy) as if I blowdried it. I then use my fingers and hands to continue smoothing.

1). Do you wash your hair everyday and then bun? I wash every 3-4 days.

2). What type of moisturizer do you use that will keep your hair smooth? I use Giovanni Direct leave-in or Biolage Matrix leave-in. I was using Headress. Also, adding a little bit of Nexxus Humectin or Humectress after my hair is dry leaves it really smooth. I also use Aveda Brilliant Emollient (serum) as the last touch.

3). What type of moisturizer do you use that will keep your hair smooth at 8 weeks post? Same as in question 2.

4). Do you use an oil to seal your ends? I use Constant Care for Ends (Wanakee line)

5). Is there a technique that require I comb and brush only once per week and the bun will stay smooth? (Ohhhh....I would love that!) I suggest wearing a silk or satin scarf to bed (I wear a bonnet on top of that) and you should be good to go. Just use your fingers and hands if you need to smooth anything down.