Calling All No-Heat to Heat Naturals!

Enyo

I used heat on my hair for the first time in years a few days ago and I like it! It’s very soft and shows off my hair color a bit more than the bun. However, I noticed that my ends were not as good as I thought. I cut about an inch off and it looks great now. I find that with my hair blown out that it’s easier to check my ends and to evenly massage in my oils. Also, I can also brush my hair when dry and help distribute the natural scalp oils. For ladies (especially 4a ladies) that have gone from no-heat to straightened natural hair, do you find it was easier to maintain the ends with it curly or straight? What effect did it have on your hair overall? Did you retain length?

Thanks!

My hair has always been healthier when I used some type of heat, even if it was just a blow dry or drying under a hooded dryer every two weeks. Air drying doesn't work for me.

Right now I wash, dc, flat iron every two weeks. I use hot rollers if for some reason I need to use heat in between. Otherwise I pin curl my hair at night and pop in a regular roller for a few hours if I need more body/fuller curls.

Nothing helpful to add, im interested as much as you are OP! My hair is still short so of I were to straighten, I wouldnt be able to protect my ends. But I hope to straighten before this time next year so ill be checking back in this thread for info. Good question OP!

I feel you op, I straighten my hair yesterday and I love it. Like you I noticed that I needed a trim, but I knew I would. I would love to wear my hair straight more often, but I work 7 days a week and my regimen to straighten is very time consuming.

yodie What do you use to seal your ends when your hair is straight? Do you do it daily?

I dont seal my ends every night. Whenever I do seal, maybe twice a wk, I use serum or a light oil. Sometimes I use Miss Jessies buttercreme and put a light serum/oil on top.

Yes definitely! I'm finishing up a no-heat challenge in three weeks and I cannot wait to get back to using a bit of heat. I find that my ends are healthier overall when I use heat because my hair has less opportunity to tangle.

It's also easier for me to ensure that my hair is properly moisturized. The thing about going heatless that I love is that it helps my hair to thicken up and I feel squeaky clean being able to wash my hair multiple times per week

When I straighten, I only seal with coconut oil once or twice. A moisturizing deep conditioning is a must before flatironing. My retention is pretty good as I didn't get much breakage (good temperature control).

Before a couple of months ago, I couldn't be curly :( my hair would be dry and icky feeling the day after wash day. Now, I got my products down and I don't wear my curls loose. My curls are deliciously soft. I'm so happy that I can now wear my hair curl or straight

I’m not going to lie. I love letting my hair down at night and brushing it. It’s so relaxing and I love seeing how much hair I actually have. However, I really want to protect my ends and my curl pattern.

The weird thing is that I grew my hair to WL while bunning, protected my ends via sealing and hiding, but they have gone back to being below standards. Maybe because I’ve not been dusting enough?

Enyo

This video was pretty good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xMMB0f_9pk

I too am trying to get into heat stretched styles. It is a happy medium between PSing(bunning) and bone straight flat ironed hair. I really prefer to heat stretch the hair now especially for fall. My concern is the same as yours.

Since blow drying, I did have some short broken pieces on the floor while I blow dried my hair but after that, nothing. I sealed with coconut oil every night. The only reason why I wont do it often is because I have a goal length I am trying to reach, after that, heat stretched hair will be the road I will take.

I like the video because she said that instead of using a blowdryer she uses a flat iron and uses the low setting which will keep moisture in your hair and keep it from reverting so fast :yep:

@Enyo

This video was pretty good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xMMB0f_9pk

I too am trying to get into heat stretched styles. It is a happy medium between PSing(bunning) and bone straight flat ironed hair. I really prefer to heat stretch the hair now especially for fall. My concern is the same as yours.

Since blow drying, I did have some short broken pieces on the floor while I blow dried my hair but after that, nothing. I sealed with coconut oil every night. The only reason why I wont do it often is because I have a goal length I am trying to reach, after that, heat stretched hair will be the road I will take.

I like the video because she said that instead of using a blowdryer she uses a flat iron and uses the low setting which will keep moisture in your hair and keep it from reverting so fast :yep:

RegaLady Thanks!! I love it. I never thought of NOT adding heat to my ends. I will do that the next time. I don't want to be bone straight/silky either. I like an element of fullness.

I use a tourmaline blowdryer with the tension method and loads of Joico. I put a light coating of Keratasse Oleo relax afterwards. It still feels amazingly soft. I blew out my my hair on Sunday and it's only reverted a tad around the edges due to sweating heavily. I've been misting it daily with heat protectant since I'm exposed to the sun while walking to and from the train for my daily commute and it looks the same as it did on Sunday.

I wore my hair in a fluffy ponytail and I loved it. I think I'm going to try and use this method once I move. It's a great place to start wearing my hair out since no one knows me. Plus, Hawaii is home to loads of women with long hair, so a brown women with WL hair won't attract attention.

It takes me about 30 minutes to an hour and a half depending on how I do it. I tend to section my hair and clip it out of the way first, then take each section down, detangle, blow-dry, and either plait/twist/braid/pincurl it up. (Carpal tunnel is a beast)

I use a small amount of heat at times when stretching my hair via twists. I might use the dryer to completely dry my hair before taking my twists down. I haven't really used heat much yet but looking for ideas...

I made another attempt at blowdrying my hair 2 weeks ago and I like it. The only problem is that: the process takes a long time, my hair is kinda stiff but still soft, it does not hold up under humidity (poof city baby) and I still want to moisturize it every day. I have been so afraid of heat in the past but I want to incorporate it somehow for length and fullness and styling - if I can do so while keeping it healthy.

On the past I was scared of heat, then I abused it, now I just use it responsibly.

I flat iron no more than 4X a year after rollersetting

I use indirect hear almost every week in the form of microwave heat cap or hood dryer because it allows for my LOPO hair to feel moisturized. Before adding this step it was a toss up if my hair would actually feel moisturized from day 1

Sent from my iPhone 5 using LHCF

I've been DCing with heat for ages! I never thought that was considered heat! :lol:@me! For some reason I only think about flat irons and blow dryers.

OK, Ladies. I'm trying to wear my hair flat ironed for the next two months to see if I can do it. How often do you all wash? I don't want to use heat weekly, but my hair starts to stink after 10 days of not being washed.

I've straightened my hair once since I've been natural and that was last year. I don't really long for straight styles hardly ever but im starting to want to straighten my hair again. More like itching to. I want to wait for Christmas. That will give me enough time to reach bsl without any setbacks.

When I straighten, I usually maintain it by wrapping for 10-14 days before washing. I generally straighten every 3 months, but I am now "transitioning" to wearing straightened hair more often, hoping it will help with retention and reducing/eliminating single-strand knots.

Last edited:
Back