Calling All PJs and semi PJs (sorry, long post)

DSP

Have you tried the latest hair product and it's okay, but not for you? Do you buy extras of the things you love, but are running out of bathroom counter-space?

Please donate black hair care products to your local women's shelter. Many times these women have left home with nothing but the clothes on their backs. Sometimes churches and schools will donate "personal care packages" with general toiletries like toothpaste, soap and shampoo, but I've never seen donations that include the things women of color might want for hair care — no scarves, oils, moisturizers, wide-tooth combs, etc.

Imagine trying to get back on your feet and going to a job interview, looking for an apartment or starting classes but not feeling your hair is properly groomed. It's hard to project a professional image when you don't look your best. And many of the well-meaning donors and volunteers around here are white and have no clue what it takes to care for our natural or relaxed hair.

I'm not much of a PJ myself, but if I buy something, use it once and don't like it, I make sure the container has been wiped down, firmly closed and I put it in a box labeled "Black Hair Care." (Just because someone's staying at a shelter doesn't mean they want greasy, crusty, half-empty containers of product any more than I do.) If I buy something inexpensive that I like, I'll go back and buy another for my donation box. Also, when I go to the beauty supply store, I pick up a few extra scrunchies, inexpensive satin bonnets, scarves, some disposable plastic shower caps, wide-tooth combs, etc. for the hair care packages.

To assemble a basic hair care package, I use the big 1-gallon Ziploc bags and put in a comb, a scrunchy, a scarf or bonnet, a couple shower caps, sample-size shampoos & conditioners, etc. I leave the gels, oils, moisturizers, etc. in the big box so people can pick out what they want and the non-black women won't feel left out.

I also hang around to make sure the staff and volunteers aren't trying to help themselves to products until AFTER the residents get what they want first. (I learned that the hard way when some women told me one staff person and her sister picked through the box and took most of the good stuff before she would give it to the residents. I know the staff don't earn a lot, but I was HOT.:mad:)

If the shelter is a 501(c) 3 non-profit, your donation will be tax-deductible. Just ask for a receipt from the staff. Your kindness will not only help other woman regain some of their confidence and dignity, you will truly be blessed.

Thanks!

KEWLKAT103

I do some volunteer work, but I never thought to do this before. I'm not a PJ, but sometimes I buy things that just don't work for me and keep them hanging around.
Great Idea Thanx!! :up: :)

DSP

Things like hair care are usually last on people's minds just because food, clothing and shelter are so important for people in crisis. Volunteers are angels on earth, so thanks for all you do!

Bessings,
DSP

KEWLKAT103 said:
I do some volunteer work, but I never thought to do this before. I'm not a PJ, but sometimes I buy things that just don't work for me and keep them hanging around.
Great Idea Thanx!! :up: :)

LovelyLionessa

I love donating hair products to my local women's shelter. I often donate new and unused items like hard to resist Suave and VO5 conditioners. I only need so much stuff at my house. It's nice to know we can share the love. :)

DSP

I bet you bring a smile whenever they see you coming. And that is good "hair karma".

Priestess said:
I love donating hair products to my local women's shelter. I often donate new and unused items like hard to resist Suave and VO5 conditioners. I only need so much stuff at my house. It's nice to know we can share the love. :)

LovelyLionessa

just_DSP said:
I bet you bring a smile whenever they see you coming. And that is good "hair karma".

Awww, that's so cute, I like the sound of that, "good hair karma." :lol:

OT, but speaking of cute, Just DSP your avatar is insanely cute. Those kitties are adorable and have some good hair!! :lachen:

DSP

You know mama kitty keeps baby's hair on point. Tiny braids and hourly co-washes.:grin:

Priestess said:
OT, but speaking of cute, Just DSP your avatar is insanely cute. Those kitties are adorable and have some good hair!! :lachen:

aileendq

Priestess said:

I worked for a women's shelter organization and can tell you that they will not accept used products. Unopened is great.

Oh, and this goes for cell phones, as well. They reprogram them and give them to victims of domestic violence in shelters.

HoneyDew

I have done this. I felt odd giving used stuff, though. I just used stuff that I bought (don't ask why) and never used. It was a great way to get rid of some stuff.

faithful

Great post! I've worked at shelters in the past that have accepted used items. I think it depends on the specific shelter policy regarding used items -consider calling ahead to see if your local shelter will accept these much needed items.

DSP

Thanks for your replies. The cell phone idea is very much needed and could save a life. As for hair products, the place where I volunteer (and used to work at) will accept products like gel, etc. if clean and 99% unused. But it is much nicer to just buy 2 of your favorite products and give one away to a sister in need.

I just wanted to get the ball rolling for people who didn't know about the need out there.

Hugs to all you beautiful sisters!

aileendq said:
I worked for a women's shelter organization and can tell you that they will not accept used products. Unopened is great.

Oh, and this goes for cell phones, as well. They reprogram them and give them to victims of domestic violence in shelters.