Camille Rose Vs. Mielle Organics Comparison Thread

qchelle

These seem to be the new leaders in the natural hair community. I've tried a few things from each line:

For reference, my hair is low porosity, fine individual strands, low overall density (thin), 4a/4b curl pattern.

Camille Rose:
-Curl Maker- love this. It's the first styling product I've tried that actually holds my wash n go curls like a gel but doesn't give the extreme hold and crunch like Eco Styler, Extreme Wet Line, insert other real gel here. Staple.
-Twisting Butter- just okay. It's very moisturizing and provides slip when doing twist outs. But, for me, so do lots of other products.

Mielle Organics:
-Babassu Oil & Mint DC- love this. One of the most moisturizing DC I've tried. Staple.
-Mint Almond Oil- hate this. It just sits on my hair. Very disappointing.
-White Peony Leave-in- hate this. Not moisturizing at all. Very disappointing.
-Pomegranate & Honey Leave-in- really like this. Very moisturizing and it's the only leave in I've tried that doesn't cause flaking when I use it before layering gel over it for a wash n go. Staple.

I'm really interested in hearing comparisons between Camille Rose's Curl Maker and Mielle Organics' Honey & Ginger Styling Gel (this is much less expensive and would love to be able to use this instead lol). Especially for wash n gos with hair type similar to mine.

I'm also interested in hearing how people like Mielle Organics' Brazilian Curly Cocktail Curl Cream and Mousse. I've read that these two products are supposed to be a 'system' to be used together?

Also interested in comparing the two companies' hair milks: Mielle Organics' Avocado Moisturizing Hair Milk and Camille Rose's Curl Love Moisture Milk.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Really? I didn't know they were the new leaders. With me being the pj I am, I haven't actually tried Mielle's stuff and the only thing I've tried from Camille is her Almond Jai butter, which is just ok to me.

qchelle

Really? I didn't know they were the new leaders. With me being the pj I am, I haven't actually tried Mielle's stuff and the only thing I've tried from Camille is her Almond Jai butter, which is just ok to me.

Hmm maybe not! They just seemed to be the 2 of the newer companies creating a lot of buzz online. Maybe I'm behind lol.

qchelle

I’ve tried both and am loving Mielle’s version. But if I had to choose between the two lines Camille Rose wins hands down.

Thanks! I'm gonna pick this up, too, then. And compare it to MOs leave in that I like.

Wait, I misread your post. So, between the hair milks, you like mielles better?

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I'm 4a and low porosity. Camille rose curl maker and curl love were already a staple for me. I really like mielle so far. I like the milk, pomegranate leave in custard. I didn't like the white peony leave in it was to thin.

The mane choice is amazing brand.

Soaring Eagle

Singin’ the praises of the baggy method
I’m sorry, but I have little to no good things to say about CRN products.

Sweet Ginger Cleasning Rinse: Don’t even want to talk about it. Nearly had a major set back due to this shampoo. So stripping!

Coconut Water Deep Treatment: What in the world?! The slip was okay, but it doesn’t even matter because my hair felt like I had just rinsed out their stripping shampoo (see above).

Algae Renew DC: just OK. Nothing to praise here.

Moisture milk: Ehhhh. Shea Moisture milks are wayyyy better. This product is too thick to be called a milk. They call it a leave in— no way! I barely get to use the product because I can’t seem to ever get it out of the bottle without pulling a muscle.

Growth oil: The only product from them that I would repurchase. But, it’s an oil, so there is nothing to it.

As for Mielle, I haven’t tried much from them. The Mane Choice (in my opinion) is definitely killing (in a good way) the natural hair game.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I don't really buy much from either:

CRN's: When they 1st launched (before they went mainstream) I used quite a bit from them. Now primarily only the Ajani Growth Balm.

Last year I was using Moroccan Pear & Argan Conditioning Custard as a Final R/O - but started running into "consistency issues with this product. Sometimes I'd get it and it would be bright-white, sometimes beige, sometimes yellow-ish, so I had to let it go? I'd always keep Ajani in my stash, but it's $12 bucks for 4oz's. So I try to grab it when I can get Free Shipping.

This BF - I bought the CRN Silken Spritz based on a YT Review from PJD.

Mielle: Same. When they 1st launched I picked up a few things from them (before they went mainstream). I tried the Masque, the Oil and the Cowash. I moved on and lost interest quickly. Not because they were bad, but it's just the PJ in me.

However, this BF, I did pick up the Pomegranate & Honey L-I, once again based on a review from PJD.

qchelle

I’m sorry, but I have little to no good things to say about CRN products.

Sweet Ginger Cleasning Rinse: Don’t even want to talk about it. Nearly had a major set back due to this shampoo. So stripping!

Coconut Water Deep Treatment: What in the world?! The slip was okay, but it doesn’t even matter because my hair felt like I had just rinsed out their stripping shampoo (see above).

Algae Renew DC: just OK. Nothing to praise here.

Moisture milk: Ehhhh. Shea Moisture milks are wayyyy better. This product is too thick to be called a milk. They call it a leave in— no way! I barely get to use the product because I can’t seem to ever get it out of the bottle without pulling a muscle.

Growth oil: The only product from them that I would repurchase. But, it’s an oil, so there is nothing to it.

As for Mielle, I haven’t tried much from them. The Mane Choice (in my opinion) is definitely killing (in a good way) the natural hair game.

:lol: ohh it's one of those iron man strength required bottles? I hate those too. Thanks for the heads up!

Hmmm I may have to check out the mane choice stuff

PJaye

For me, the CRN line edges out the Mielle line for the following reasons:

DCs
IMO, the CRN Algae beats out the Mielle Babassu. Even though the Mielle DC provides me with good balance while leaving my hair silky soft and moisturized, the CRN Algae DC goes further by leaving my hair extremely, extremely moisturized; as well as ridiculously buttery soft and emollient. Plus, the smell of the Mielle DC can be off putting. I love both DCs, but if I had to choose, it would be the CRN. The new Mielle Mongongo DC was barely mediocre.

LIs
While the Mielle Avocado has a true milk consistency and its Pomegranate & Honey LI has a nice, lightweight consistency and decent slip, they both fail to provide me with long-lasting moisture. In fact, the Avocado Milk makes my hair dry, hard and crispy. OTOH, the CRN Coconut Water LI and Moisture Milk are thick and rich, and will give me soft, shiny, highly moisturized hair that lasts for days (not to mention great definition without any additional stylers). IME, there’s no comparison between the two lines’ LIs.

Gels
Although I haven’t tried the CRN Curl Maker, I can say that the Mielle Honey & Ginger Styling Gel looks very similar to it when I look at both bottles side by side. Also, when I did a WNG using the Mielle gel, it weighted my hair down (which I appreciated) and had a bit of a slick feel. My hair dried soft and un-crunchy with decent definition and barely any shrinkage, flyaways or frizz.

Stylers
I recommend using the Mielle Twisting Souffle if you’re looking for dry, dull albeit defined hair. Conversely, the CRN Aloe Gel and Almond Jai whateveritscalled always gives me soft, shiny, moisturized hair with excellent definition; and the Jai gives great elongation. However, both the CRN Curlaide Butter and Coconut Style Setter sucked.

A final thought: stay far, far, far away from the CRN Ginger Rinse. It’s the equivalent of the Manhattan Project in a bottle.

qchelle

For me, the CRN line edges out the Mielle line for the following reasons:

DCs
IMO, the CRN Algae beats out the Mielle Babassu. Even though the Mielle DC provides me with good balance while leaving my hair silky soft and moisturized, the CRN Algae DC goes further by leaving my hair extremely, extremely moisturized; as well as ridiculously buttery soft and emollient. Plus, the smell of the Mielle DC can be off putting. I love both DCs, but if I had to choose, it would be the CRN. The new Mielle Mongongo DC was barely mediocre.

LIs
While the Mielle Avocado has a true milk consistency and its Pomegranate & Honey LI has a nice, lightweight consistency and decent slip, they both fail to provide me with long-lasting moisture. In fact, the Avocado Milk makes my hair dry, hard and crispy. OTOH, the CRN Coconut Water LI and Moisture Milk are thick and rich, and will give me soft, shiny, highly moisturized hair that lasts for days (not to mention great definition without any additional stylers). IME, there’s no comparison between the two lines’ LIs.

Gels
Although I haven’t tried the CRN Curl Maker, I can say that the Mielle Honey & Ginger Styling Gel looks very similar to it when I look at both bottles side by side. Also, when I did a WNG using the Mielle gel, it weighted my hair down (which I appreciated) and had a bit of a slick feel. My hair dried soft and un-crunchy with decent definition and barely any shrinkage, flyaways or frizz.

Stylers
I recommend using the Mielle Twisting Souffle if you’re looking for dry, dull albeit defined hair. Conversely, the CRN Aloe Gel and Almond Jai whateveritscalled always gives me soft, shiny, moisturized hair with excellent definition; and the Jai gives great elongation. However, both the CRN Curlaide Butter and Coconut Style Setter sucked.

A final thought: stay far, far, far away from the CRN Ginger Rinse. It’s the equivalent of the Manhattan Project in a bottle.

:lachen: Love your review!

SimplyWhole

I love Mielle Organics spray leave in and mint oil. I would say the CR almond twist butter is better than the MO products. I purchased the Pomegrante line and plan on returning it. I’m not impressed. I’m sticking with KC and my Keracare products.

vevster

I use that ginger rinse without issues. Not often, but it is in the rotation.

Don’t sleep on Alikay either.

Last edited:

LuvlyRain3

All the reviews I have seen for MO have been hit or miss. I have MO pomade to oil and it’s s great sealant and works well on flat ironed here as it’s lightweight. I wanted to try the pomegranate products but there are too many itemsin that line that appear to have the same purpose and I haven’t heard enough good reviews.

The only products I’ve tried from CRN are the aloe butter gel and the Almond Jai twist cream. Th almond twist was okay but the almond butter gel was EVERYTHING. My hair was so moist and twists were so sleek and juicy that I changed up my whole hair style halfway through using it just so I could have a head full of bomb twists instead of the twisted bun style I was initially going with.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Neither one of these Lines are a "Must Have" in my Stash. There are other things (from other lines) that will stay in my stash.

Neither one of these lines are those for me. There are things I like from both Lines, but there are things I like more from other Lines.

Last edited:

Karmi

Not to derail the thread but i think Mane Choice products are amazing! I love the ancient Egyptian twisting gel - I use it for WnGs. The biotin gel has great slip but it flakes. I may play with different leave-in to find the right pairing.
I love all the shampoos, the 3 in 1 detangler is my HG cowash, all the oils, the heavenly halo collection has some good stuff as well.

Lol, I swear I'm not sponcerd by them, but wish I was... :drunk: