Can you wash your hair in deionized water?

sonia1965

I have been reading an old thread about how the hardness of water can affect the health and wellbeing of your hair. There was some very interesting information, including the use of bottled or distilled water in washing or rinsing your hair can make a huge difference, as it may be 'softer' than what comes out of the tap, especially if you live in a hard water area, I do - London.

I'm afarid I can't stretch to having a home water softener installed at the moment!:nono:

But what about deionized water? Many of our hair products have this as an ingredient, but can you use it on its own? i've tried to Google information about it, but no luck! Have any of you ladies had any experience about this?

Thank you ladies....and happy hair growing!:yep:

naturalgurl

I know it has all the minerals and stuff taken out, and 'I think@ nearest to 'pure water'!!
Yep, that's it. I have a filter to put on my shower head and people rave about how soft it made their hair. Unfortunately my shower pipe wasn't compatible and I"m still waiting to get a friend to come look at it...

sonia1965

Yep, that's it. I have a filter to put on my shower head and people rave about how soft it made their hair. Unfortunately my shower pipe wasn't compatible and I"m still waiting to get a friend to come look at it...

Nonie told me about the shower filter, but I honestly haven't looked into that. I will now, and let you know how I get on!

HoneyDew

Chime in if I'm wrong, but deionized water is filtered water...I think....

Yep. This is the water I use to wash my face because I have hard water and my skin has a hard time with it. It is just super filter water.

I go to a health food store near me and they have a tank that you can use to refill your own bottles with. You can get reverse osmosis water or deionized water.

I have use both and apparently the deionized water is the purest.

And there are ladies that rinse with filtered water. It is too much hassle for me to use to wash my hair while I am in the shower, but I do enjoy using it on my skin over the sink.

I think my skin prefers the reverse osmosis though. :look: Been trying to figure that one out.