Can her hair be saved...I think she is about to be bald

SunySydeofLyfe

Ladies, I need help!!! My daughter is 18 and we all know they think they know everything!! She is relaxed APL hair that against my wishes she bleached with a powder and developer.

Last night she washed and steamed her hair and after she rinsed, her hair was matted and clumped together!!! Detangling was a nightmare and her hair was coming out in clumps...not noticable now because she has lots of hair.

What can I do short of telling this child she will have to cut her hair, to help relieve these tangles.

Please and thank you!!!

fatimablush

i remember those day.
is there any way she can de-tangle her hair with conditoner and a wide tooth comb?
(starting from the bottom of the hair to the root)

hopefully..others can chime in.

~~HoneyComb~~

Her hair is coming out in clumps? Wow, I'd be interested in knowing if there was a way to save this.

My niece had a similar experience about 5 years ago. She bleached her hair, and then a few days later, she relaxed it and her hair was so matted, and was also coming out in clumps. We took her to a stylist and she had to get her hair cut down to a twa because we were told it was no way to save it.

I hope someone can chime in and give you some advice if there is a way to save it. It would be a shame if she had to cut her hair off.

Platinum

I just re-read your post. I noticed that your daughter has relaxed hair AND she bleached it. Wow. In past experience, I found out the hard way bleach and relaxers don't mix. However I can suggest you detangle the hair carefully (bleach+relaxed= extremely fragile hair), try a hardcore protein treatment like Aphogee (don't forget the balancing moisturizer after this step), follow up with a good moisturizing DC. There may be a possibility that her hair can be saved.

You may have to cowash with a good moisturizing conditioner for the next few weeks and please do not forget to moisturize daily! Try not to manipulate the hair often (no hard combing or brushing). Hope this helps!

westNDNbeauty

My mom couldn't tell me anything. I had to see the demise of my hair for myself. Then I started listening.

This might be the incident that causes her to listen .....

sorry it had to happen.

cutiebe2

I agree with WestNDNbeauty

She should just learn her lesson the hard way. Any way you try to save the hair, it is dmaged and will eventually fall out.

At least she didn't damage her scalp

ThickHair

You already spoke your peace when you advised her not to do it. I say keep your mouth closed. We all have to live and learn.

More than likely she will have to cut it off and start all over again. It sounds like her hair is damaged beyond repair. You can not save damaged hair, no matter what a hair care company tells you.

Nonie

When I hear of tangles, the first thing that comes to mind is raised cuticles causing hair strands to catch on each other. I believe bleach is alkaline and so are some shampoos, so while I don't know if it's too late for this to work, I'd consider doing an ACV rinse; a VERY DILUTE ACV rinse...because if it's too acidic it too can wreck havoc on the hair. And then I'd consider putting on an oil or conditioner on her hair and letting it "marinate" for a while, then try to detangle painstakingly as has been suggested above.

And then just tell her she's on her own from now on, coz if she thinks she can just go mess up her hair and have mommy sort out the mess for her, you'll have your work cut out for you. :lol:

TheEuphioQ

I personally wouldnt try a protein treatment while the hair is still in clumpy knots, as the hair would ball up even further and become more like straw, (thats what i seems to be like now). Like a previous poster stated, the cuticle might be rasied, so why not try a misting spray with pure aloe vera juice to lay the cuticles down while detangling (or even after the detangling is finished) or even (dare i say it) Kimmytube's leave in recipie, as it always makes my hair smooth and detangle itself combined with the tangle teazer.

As far as a deep condition with EVOO ( it didnt work for me when I had a tangled matted mess on my head when i was relaxed) so its up for a try, but i dont think it would work, as I ended up doing the big chop right then and there in 09. If I knew about kimmaytube's leave in , or even spraying aloe vera juice on my hair to lay the cuticles down (which is the main ingredient in Kimmay's recipie), i might have stood a fighting chance.

I hope for the best for your daughter.

Lovelylocs

I just re-read your post. I noticed that your daughter has relaxed hair AND she bleached it. Wow. In past experience, I found out the hard way bleach and relaxers don't mix. However I can suggest you detangle the hair carefully (bleach+relaxed= extremely fragile hair), try a hardcore protein treatment like Aphogee (don't forget the balancing moisturizer after this step), follow up with a good moisturizing DC. There may be a possibility that her hair can be saved.

You may have to cowash with a good moisturizing conditioner for the next few weeks and please do not forget to moisturize daily! Try not to manipulate the hair often (no hard combing or brushing). Hope this helps!

I agree with this and would like to add she is going to have to start prepooing with oil (ie. coconut or amla) before every wash.

kittikat24

Moisture, Moisture, Moisture!!!!
Forget protein for the moment, your daughters hair needs a super thick n yummy conditioner (I like aussie moist/ors replinishing paks) to sit on her head w/ a cap for atleast an hour!

I wouldn't worry about detangling too much, because all that manipulation so soon on stessed-out strands could make the situation worse...
If her hair can be saved, it really should be treated like delicate Antique Lace.

classychic1908

What about covering her hair in a good conditioner and some serum under heat for a bit to up the moisture level and to get lots of slip.

Mai Tai

Miss Nigeria-America
I unfortunately had something similar happen to me in college, and even though I retained a lot of hair, it was dry, lifeless, and nothing I did helped. I eventually cut it off because it wouldn't even hold a curl. I think your daughter needs to evaluate what's most important to her...A head full of fried, damaged hair, or starting fresh with a fierce short do...

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I agree with moisture for the moment...but using the Chicoro moisture pre-poo formula (aloe vera plus oils). That allows her to untangle with a Tangle Teezer and/or wide tooth comb. Once untangled I would consider using a liquid protein conditioner like K-Pak Liquid reconstructor followed by a moisture DC.

OR

Detangle with Roux Porosity Control - followed by a heavy protein conditioner THEN moisture DC.

Last edited:

Detroit2Dallas

Moisture, Moisture, Moisture!!!!
Forget protein for the moment, your daughters hair needs a super thick n yummy conditioner (I like aussie moist/ors replinishing paks) to sit on her head w/ a cap for atleast an hour!

I wouldn't worry about detangling too much, because all that manipulation so soon on stessed-out strands could make the situation worse...
If her hair can be saved, it really should be treated like delicate Antique Lace.
this is exactly it. bleach pulls moisture from the hair, if she used a cheapie bleach than her hair will reget it just about everytime she washes or combs. but you can try to slow it down by pushing moisture into her hair. if u see white strands or damn near white strands just know that they are going to immediately break off, the color has been completely pulled from them they are absolutely dead.

post pics please.

FebeeSigns

I would suggest balancing the PH of her hair first. Relaxers are alkaline and so is bleach.

Balance the PH --> Replace lost protein in the hair by doing a protein treatment --> Moisture ---> Detangle.

It might take doing this 3 or 4 times to even correct the state it's in. But if it's already falling out I'm not even sure if this will help. It could help the remainding hair she had left.

SunySydeofLyfe

i remember those day.
is there any way she can de-tangle her hair with conditoner and a wide tooth comb?
(starting from the bottom of the hair to the root)

hopefully..others can chime in.
We tried and its so tangled that I am scared that if we dont find something that gives her 'slip' she is going to loose alot of hair.

SunySydeofLyfe

Her hair is coming out in clumps? Wow, I'd be interested in knowing if there was a way to save this.

My niece had a similar experience about 5 years ago. She bleached her hair, and then a few days later, she relaxed it and her hair was so matted, and was also coming out in clumps. We took her to a stylist and she had to get her hair cut down to a twa because we were told it was no way to save it.

I hope someone can chime in and give you some advice if there is a way to save it. It would be a shame if she had to cut her hair off.
The haircut is the same advice my cousin is giving me, she is going to call other stylist in her circle to see if they can offer any suggestions. I am hoping there is hope cause she is not going to survive a haircut...lol

SunySydeofLyfe

When I hear of tangles, the first thing that comes to mind is raised cuticles causing hair strands to catch on each other. I believe bleach is alkaline and so are some shampoos, so while I don't know if it's too late for this to work, I'd consider doing an ACV rinse; a VERY DILUTE ACV rinse...because if it's too acidic it too can wreck havoc on the hair. And then I'd consider putting on an oil or conditioner on her hair and letting it "marinate" for a while, then try to detangle painstakingly as has been suggested above.

And then just tell her she's on her own from now on, coz if she thinks she can just go mess up her hair and have mommy sort out the mess for her, you'll have your work cut out for you. :lol:
That is what I was thinking, I am glad you mentioned the ACV cause I was going to say clarify. I went and got some EVOO and CO, Aussie 3 minute miracle cause that is what I think she needs a MIRACLE....really Divine Intervention cause its bad...real bad...

SunySydeofLyfe

yeah, i'd try that suave almond & shea conditioner under A STEAMER
I love ya'll cause I bought this too, I want to see if we can salvage her hair. I got the 3 minute miracle, suave shea and **, EVOO, Coconut Oil and I hoping there is some sesame seed oil in the cabinet (ceramides instead of protein)...

SunySydeofLyfe

I am hoping I am not thinking of doing too much, this situation might be helped with me being a PJ.

Here is what I am thinking, tell me what you think..

pre poo with EVOO and Sesame see and Coconut oil with a plastic cap 30 in with heat, wash with Aloe Rid, rinse with ACV, apply roux porisity control, DC with Aussie 3 minute miracle for 30 minutes with heat, apply roux leave in and KT leave in, and seal with coconut oil, scarf method to dry and then apply NTM.

If I need to avoid a step, please let me know. A great member gave me her curlformers and I think we will use them for styling.

lolascurls

I would suggest balancing the PH of her hair first. Relaxers are alkaline and so is bleach.

Balance the PH --> Replace lost protein in the hair by doing a protein treatment --> Moisture ---> Detangle.

It might take doing this 3 or 4 times to even correct the state it's in. But if it's already falling out I'm not even sure if this will help. It could help the remainding hair she had left.

I totally agree to this! I believe her hair is not fully beyond rescue (after all, all our hairs are dead once they leave the scalp and we are just preserving the strands well). Do try and help her, and she will sit up and listen to you more! :look:

Honi

There is no board.
I am hoping I am not thinking of doing too much, this situation might be helped with me being a PJ.

pre poo with EVOO and Sesame see and Coconut oil with a plastic cap 30 in with heat, wash with Aloe Rid, rinse with ACV, apply roux porisity control, DC with Aussie 3 minute miracle for 30 minutes with heat, apply roux leave in and KT leave in, and seal with coconut oil, scarf method to dry and then apply NTM.

If I need to avoid a step, please let me know. A great member gave me her curlformers and I think we will use them for styling.

I think the acv and porosity control may be too much. It's the same thing you are using it for Ph purposes. May make it worse depending on your acv strength . I choose one or the other. If you could, work out some the knots after soaking in oil. Not sure about aloe rid. May be too harsh?

Sent from my LS670 using Long Hair Care Forum App

SunySydeofLyfe

She is at work now, I am going to try to detangle with vaseline wash with Giovanni and soak her hair in oil overnight, then do an ACV rinse....

I will post pictures one way or the other, thanks alot ladies!!!

pjbapb

pre poo with EVOO and Sesame see and Coconut oil with a plastic cap 30 in with heat, I would add aloe juice to the mix. There is something about the way aloe lays down the cuticle that just makes tangles seem to melt away.
wash with Aloe Rid, I'm not sure what type of poo that is so can't comment.
rinse with ACV, I would probably do the AVC rinse at the very end after the DC and then rinse that out with ice cold water for 2-4 minutes.
apply roux porisity control, Again never used it can't comment.
DC with Aussie 3 minute miracle for 30 minutes with heat, I haven't used this product in a long time so I can't say too much good or bad, but I will say that you may want to take advantage of the last best opportunity for moisture and up the ante. As an extra moisture boost, I love to add honey and baby food bananas to my DC's and they always help with detangling.
apply roux leave in and KT leave in, I love the KT type leave -in that I use.
and seal with coconut oil, I am currently infatuated with CO and it may be all out love soon!
scarf method to dry and then apply NTM. What is NTM?

All that being said I hope you don't mind me asking but, why are you trying so hard to save hair that is clearly damaged? Those are a lot of steps that will probably need to be done again and again over a period of time just to get the hair to not fall out at the drop of a dime. Then as new healthy hair starts to grow back in, it will look even more obvious that there was damage in the past. This seems to me like one of those bought knowledge lessons that most 18 year olds have to purchase. Her hair will grow back. I would just let all of the damage go.